which satnav for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Tom Tom for me. I've had two dedicated. Tom Toms and now just run the app on my iPhone.

I know you said you don't have a smart phone but I'd be another to suggest you consider this as an alternative purchase. Tom Tom maps is £50 on iPhone.

Once checked Google maps against Tom Tom on a trip from home to Destrlbergen, Belgium. Same route, timings, distances etc. Identical except Google doesn't speak the directions and is not so easy to read especially at difficult junctions in towns etc.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Tom Tom for me. I've had two dedicated. Tom Toms and now just run the app on my iPhone.

I know you said you don't have a smart phone but I'd be another to suggest you consider this as an alternative purchase. Tom Tom maps is £50 on iPhone.

Once checked Google maps against Tom Tom on a trip from home to Destrlbergen, Belgium. Same route, timings, distances etc. Identical except Google doesn't speak the directions and is not so easy to read especially at difficult junctions in towns etc.

So, buy an i-phone to run a GPS app. £360 per annum as a minimum. No thanks. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for all the sensible replies - much appreciated. New car is being looked over by a mechanic so, assuming it's all above board I should have the car by wednesday and will look to purchase a satnav shortly after.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So, buy an i-phone to run a GPS app. £360 per annum as a minimum. No thanks. :rolleyes:

No I was suggesting a smart phone plus Google maps, as did another poster. I hoped to illustrate the point with the accuracy of the iPhone and Google maps. Buying an iPhone to do the job would be daft!

Apologies if it's not sensible enough for you :smile:

Top Bottom