Which sellers instead of Wiggle/Chainreaction ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Usually just check it's a UK seller and look at reviews. Someone like Hopkinsons mentioned above sell a lot of stuff via Ebay. Biketart do too.

I`ll second Hopkinsons.
 

katiewlx

Senior Member
I try to use different sellers as I like to think that I am keeping them all going. Whilst it is sad about Wiggle and Chain Reaction, I just think that they got too big. It was fine whilst it lasted but when the market shrinks, you are left with warehouses you rattle in. That goes with a lot of things.

I just think the PE takeover screwed their business model as the people running the place didnt understand the business well enough, saddled (sic) them with too much leveraged debt like they like to do, and then destroyed their website, and brand which was basically their shop window, so people couldnt find stuff anymore, which meant they didnt buy stuff anymore, and then they became increasingly awkward to deal with on returns, and delivery

I miss the days of buying something, I probably didnt need, and getting some haribo. ^_^

and Ive never found any overshoes that are a match for dhbs.

what on earth Mike Ashleys doing with them now I dont know, nothing it seems like that, as Sports direct havent become a pseudo wiggle in disguise, like all the other failed brands he buys. So Ive no idea why he bought them, maybe he just wanted the warehouse, who knows.


but yeah as others have said its Sigma, Balfe, Merlin, Tredz really now, and a variety of kit shops which is forever changing as brands evolve, disappear, change.
 

Vapin' Joe

Formerly known as Smokin Joe
Does anyone use Dave Hinde? Back in the C+ days he was the subject of some very uncomplimentary threads, but he's still trading and offering keen prices so maybe he's upped his game. I haven't heard the name mentioned here for years.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
……..the higher end AliExpress stuff is usually pretty good. Or Panda Podium if I am feeling flush.

Frequent Ali Express user here. With research, Googling reviewing products etc - I’m not sure I’ve been disappointed as yet ? *Although 3 deliveries in a row have been over the stated timescale recently 🙄

And WOW on Panda Podium. Some of that is super expensive. More than top of the tree mainstream brands 😳 Are the products really that good ?
 
They are in Kent and have their own website.
https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/

I used them this week (I cant recall if I'd used them before). I ordered on Sunday. After order acceptance I didn't here anything until Wednesday when they said stock was misplaced and it (rotors) would be sent out next day delivery on Friday; the rotors actually came on Thursday. They're a shop I'll consider in future.
 

Animo

Über Member
Frequent Ali Express user here. With research, Googling reviewing products etc - I’m not sure I’ve been disappointed as yet ? *Although 3 deliveries in a row have been over the stated timescale recently 🙄

And WOW on Panda Podium. Some of that is super expensive. More than top of the tree mainstream brands 😳 Are the products really that good ?

Depends what you're buying. I got a carbon bar/stem from them (Exs Aerover). Not a cheap item but service was great and quality is superb. Still half the price of the equivalent from a Western (made in China) brand.

For carbon wheels I'd miss out the middle man and go straight to the manufacturer - had good experiences with Farsports, Light Bicycle and Serenade.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Depends what you're buying. I got a carbon bar/stem from them (Exs Aerover). Not a cheap item but service was great and quality is superb. Still half the price of the equivalent from a Western (made in China) brand.

For carbon wheels I'd miss out the middle man and go straight to the manufacturer - had good experiences with Farsports, Light Bicycle and Serenade.

Great info thanks. Very interesting ! 🙏

I’ve got rims on order from Light Bicycle as we speak. After being told of their quality.

2 months in so far though unfortunately. I was warmed they’d be slow. I should have asked ‘how slow’ 🙄 Still: I’m sure they’ll be great - and that’s the offset of buying full custom rims I guess…..

IMG_7279.jpeg
 

Mike_P

Legendary Member
Location
Harrogate
As has been said Google what you are looking for. So for this last year for parts etc I have used Halfords, JE James, Certini, Westbrook, Spa, Sigma, SJS and Leisure Lakes. Only issue I have had is the weirdness of RMs Tracked 24/48 whereby you do not always get a notification; the Westbrook delivery was set next to a shed for a number of days before I spotted it and the Leisure Lakes one must have been in my "safe place" for at least a day.
 

Animo

Über Member
As has been said Google what you are looking for. So for this last year for parts etc I have used Halfords, JE James, Certini, Westbrook, Spa, Sigma, SJS and Leisure Lakes. Only issue I have had is the weirdness of RMs Tracked 24/48 whereby you do not always get a notification; the Westbrook delivery was set next to a shed for a number of days before I spotted it and the Leisure Lakes one must have been in my "safe place" for at least a day.
Yeah, in fairness Halfrauds click and collect is pretty useful when you just want an inner tube or something. Think they do price match too.
 

Tom B

Guru
Location
Lancashire
Not sure ive seen www.https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/ mentioned

My only issue with SJ Cycles is that P&P can be a bit excessive for small items that end up in a paper envelope with a stamp on.
 

super_davo

Veteran
Frequent Ali Express user here. With research, Googling reviewing products etc - I’m not sure I’ve been disappointed as yet ? *Although 3 deliveries in a row have been over the stated timescale recently 🙄

And WOW on Panda Podium. Some of that is super expensive. More than top of the tree mainstream brands 😳 Are the products really that good ?

On Panda Podium - it's supposed to be the absolute best of the Chinese manufacturers and as a result, not cheap. I bought my Farsports Evo wheels from there. I genuinely beleive they are as good as anything on the market at any price. They are about 1150 grams for a modern wide 50mm carbon spoke wheels with incredible attention to detail. Cost about £1200 given exchange rates, all prepaid fees so nothing more to pay, came in less than two weeks and with four free RideNow TPU tubes thrown in. So top end quality for the price of a mid range set of Hunts.

The most impressive thing with Panda Podium was when I was hit by a car on holiday and my rear wheel got a hairline crack. It was a fair shunt so no criticism of the wheels, they did very well for me to be able to carry on using them for the rest of the time away. I messaged them to see if I could get just a rear, they gave me a hefty crash discount and DPD express delivery and the new wheel was back at my house a few days after I was, with as free pair of socks in the box (their freebies have a reputation for being like Wiggle on steroids).

There are some things on Panda Podium that are genuinely class leading and you can't get anywhere else. Definitely worth looking for bling for a top end project, or top end parts on a mid range budget - they just don't cater for mid range parts on a low end budget like a lot of others do.

Re Lordgun and BikeInn - I've ordered two items from each - both came just over a week, no issues. So definitely not a firm recommendation, it was more a 'I am glad someone in Europe hasn't completely given up on us!'
 
I just think the PE takeover screwed their business model as the people running the place didnt understand the business well enough, saddled (sic) them with too much leveraged debt like they like to do, and then destroyed their website, and brand which was basically their shop window, so people couldnt find stuff anymore, which meant they didnt buy stuff anymore, and then they became increasingly awkward to deal with on returns, and delivery

I miss the days of buying something, I probably didnt need, and getting some haribo. ^_^

and Ive never found any overshoes that are a match for dhbs.

what on earth Mike Ashleys doing with them now I dont know, nothing it seems like that, as Sports direct havent become a pseudo wiggle in disguise, like all the other failed brands he buys. So Ive no idea why he bought them, maybe he just wanted the warehouse, who knows.


but yeah as others have said its Sigma, Balfe, Merlin, Tredz really now, and a variety of kit shops which is forever changing as brands evolve, disappear, change.

I'd forgotten about the Haribo. Those were the days
 
As has been said Google what you are looking for. So for this last year for parts etc I have used Halfords, JE James, Certini, Westbrook, Spa, Sigma, SJS and Leisure Lakes. Only issue I have had is the weirdness of RMs Tracked 24/48 whereby you do not always get a notification; the Westbrook delivery was set next to a shed for a number of days before I spotted it and the Leisure Lakes one must have been in my "safe place" for at least a day.

I was unfortunate enough to have to use Halfords in Bromley yesterday as I urgently needed a new SPD cleat (don't ask, it involved blood). What a miserable shop. They actually have tons of bike stuff but no one working the area at all, in fact the only person I saw working was behind the one till.
 
I used them this week (I cant recall if I'd used them before). I ordered on Sunday. After order acceptance I didn't here anything until Wednesday when they said stock was misplaced and it (rotors) would be sent out next day delivery on Friday; the rotors actually came on Thursday. They're a shop I'll consider in future.

I have found that after placing an order it does`nt always gets shipped right away but when it does it arrives very quickly.
 
Top Bottom