Which sellers instead of Wiggle/Chainreaction ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was unfortunate enough to have to use Halfords in Bromley yesterday as I urgently needed a new SPD cleat (don't ask, it involved blood). What a miserable shop. They actually have tons of bike stuff but no one working the area at all, in fact the only person I saw working was behind the one till.

It`s a shame really because they could have a captive audience, after all they are in most towns across the country but are let down by staff. Perhaps it is not their fault, under staffed or untrained, I don`t know. When I have bought on line from them, no problem. Having said that though, I would have bought more items only to find out of stock and so look elsewhere.
 

YMFB

Über Member
Anybody mention Temu and AliExpress?

I try to avoid them.
 

Dan Lotus

Veteran
I just think the PE takeover screwed their business model as the people running the place didnt understand the business well enough, saddled (sic) them with too much leveraged debt like they like to do, and then destroyed their website, and brand which was basically their shop window, so people couldnt find stuff anymore, which meant they didnt buy stuff anymore, and then they became increasingly awkward to deal with on returns, and delivery

I miss the days of buying something, I probably didnt need, and getting some haribo. ^_^

and Ive never found any overshoes that are a match for dhbs.

what on earth Mike Ashleys doing with them now I dont know, nothing it seems like that, as Sports direct havent become a pseudo wiggle in disguise, like all the other failed brands he buys. So Ive no idea why he bought them, maybe he just wanted the warehouse, who knows.


but yeah as others have said its Sigma, Balfe, Merlin, Tredz really now, and a variety of kit shops which is forever changing as brands evolve, disappear, change.

Ashley did what he always does, buys desperate companies for their names or stock, then brutally asset strips them to add to his amassed fortunes.

"Its stock value was subsequently estimated at £22 million whilst its intellectual property was estimated at £4.5 million. However after an offer made to administrators was withdrawn in the final stages, Frasers Group swept in to buy the business for £3 million “on a gone concern basis”.

All 447 of Wiggle CRC’s remaining employees were laid off by February 2024, whilst it subsequently emerged the brand made £10.4 million profit during administration. The Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles websites re-launched as a hollowed-out brands within the Frasers Group the following month, where they have remained until this year.

> “The assumption was Wiggle Chain Reaction wasn’t going anywhere”: Ex-employee talks “shock” at retail giant’s demise on the road.cc Podcast

At the time of their takeover, one Frasers Group executive said, “Wiggle and Chain Reaction are well established names among riders in the UK and across Europe and the acquisition of both brands is consistent with our ambition to become the no.1 Sporting Goods retailer in Europe."
 

Dan Lotus

Veteran
Interesting shouts for Lordgun and Bikeinn as they usually offer stuff at lower prices but I have avoided them cos I thought it seemed too good to be true. So they are reliable then?

Zero issues here, though you need to factor in higher postage costs, and bike inn/ tradeinn can be a bit slow to ship.

Additionally if you need to return, postage with sufficient insurance could be a bit tasty.

I've had 2 or 3 orders from each company in recent years, and have had no complaints or issues.

Lordgun stuff has arrived for me within a week, securely and safely packed.
Would not hesitate to recommend them.
 

katiewlx

Senior Member
Ashley did what he always does, buys desperate companies for their names or stock, then brutally asset strips them to add to his amassed fortunes.

"Its stock value was subsequently estimated at £22 million whilst its intellectual property was estimated at £4.5 million. However after an offer made to administrators was withdrawn in the final stages, Frasers Group swept in to buy the business for £3 million “on a gone concern basis”.

All 447 of Wiggle CRC’s remaining employees were laid off by February 2024, whilst it subsequently emerged the brand made £10.4 million profit during administration. The Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles websites re-launched as a hollowed-out brands within the Frasers Group the following month, where they have remained until this year.

> “The assumption was Wiggle Chain Reaction wasn’t going anywhere”: Ex-employee talks “shock” at retail giant’s demise on the road.cc Podcast

At the time of their takeover, one Frasers Group executive said, “Wiggle and Chain Reaction are well established names among riders in the UK and across Europe and the acquisition of both brands is consistent with our ambition to become the no.1 Sporting Goods retailer in Europe."

yes but my query is what assets did he really strip from them ?
 
Top Bottom