Which shorts for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I use DHB ones, good for 7 back to back 200 mile days. Trick is to get out the saddle now and again and not to sit like a sack of spuds on the saddle for these type of distances per day. You don't say whether there are any time limits like say 15 hours elapsed which might influence you choice of bike based on your typical known average speeds on 100 mile or longer rides.
Thank you for this. There is a time limit 16 hours something , it works out as a 12mph average if you didn’t stop.
I’m thinking several shorter stops rather than a couple of longer ones. Tourer I averaged 16 mph moving average on the 150 miles. Faster bike I’ve done a 100 in 5 hours 12 mins moving time.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Bike choice: Is your lightweight bike’s geometry set up as an endurance bike or are you folded in half on a race machine? My thoughts are that if this ride is in Norfolk, it’s going to have very little elevation so weight isn’t an issue. I would go for comfort every time as you may be spending as much as 18 hours on the ride.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Bike choice: Is your lightweight bike’s geometry set up as an endurance bike or are you folded in half on a race machine? My thoughts are that if this ride is in Norfolk, it’s going to have very little elevation so weight isn’t an issue. I would go for comfort every time as you may be spending as much as 18 hours on the ride.
Thank you, lightweight is endurance but slightly more stretched out than my tourer.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thank you for this. There is a time limit 16 hours something , it works out as a 12mph average if you didn’t stop.
I’m thinking several shorter stops rather than a couple of longer ones. Tourer I averaged 16 mph moving average on the 150 miles. Faster bike I’ve done a 100 in 5 hours 12 mins moving time.

What was the 100 , if Ride London that doesn't count. Ride London flatters average speeds significantly due to the large number of drafting opportunities. If the Norfolk event has a lot less riders you may find yourself working solo in the wind a lot more. If you can average the 16mph over 150 miles without drafting then take the tourer. It won't be closed roads and there will be junctions to negotiate. Food intake will be you major challenge over the distance. One the biggest reasons rider crash and burn at the longer distances in a day.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
What was the 100 , if Ride London that doesn't count. Ride London flatters average speeds significantly due to the large number of drafting opportunities. If the Norfolk event has a lot less riders you may find yourself working solo in the wind a lot more. If you can average the 16mph over 150 miles without drafting then take the tourer. It won't be closed roads and there will be junctions to negotiate. Food intake will be you major challenge over the distance. One the biggest reasons rider crash and burn at the longer distances in a day.
The hundred was tour de broads n open roads. I road with a mate and another guy joined us so it was like a 3 up TT. So some drafting but I know I couldn't keep that pace up. The 16 mph was a solo ride of 150 even though in an organised event just how it worked out and m happy to cycle alone. If I Take my tourer I'll have bar bag and ready supply of food, especially my famous jelly baby pocket on the side. I'll also be able to charge and use power pack on my Garmin.

Nebulous

Guru
Redwhite shorts are the best ones I have. DHB have different grades - the aeron ones I have are pretty good, but I have a pair of their tights with a very poor pad, which doesn't work for long rides. I think they may have updated the aeron shorts since I bought mine, I don't know if the new ones are as good.

Another thumbs up for Lusso. I have 3 different pairs of their shorts. The carbon and the pro gel are my favourites, but beware of sizing, they are on the big side.
They are are made just around the corner from me, so I can drop in and have a look at the size before buying :smile:

yello

Those Lusso Pro Gel bibs look good value.

Personally, I'd have concerns over longevity as that cooltech fabric looks a little thin/threadbare. I hate looking at bum crack, and hate more to think that mine could be seen!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Thought I would share the result. I used my tourer but sat in with a group for first 125 miles. So rode faster than I perhaps would but really helpful in the strong headwinds at the start in the very open Fen roads. Got absolutely soaked for 10 miles in torrential rain and when I lost group as I stopped to put my waterproofs on . Rode most of the last part on my own into strong crosswinds.
Good news I completed it and can still walk today. Took 11 hours 13 minutes in the saddle at average speed of 17.85mph. Fast for my tourer and no wonder last 20 miles a real effort. I was riding with Garmin in battery saving mode so had no idea of speeds, I was just riding on how I felt. I’m obviously capable of more than I give. Myself credit for. I didn’t do a lap of honour though. Thanks again for all the advice.

nickAKA

Über Member
Seeing as they've had a few mentions, my absolute favourite go-to shorts are the Lusso Carbon (V1), I've had them for about 18 months and I probably wear them 80% of the time in preference to Rapha & assorted others. The sizing of Lusso in general I find pretty honest, I always buy medium as I do in with Rapha.
Main reason for sticking my oar in here is they have the V1 Carbon's (in small only) in the clearance section with a bit of money off so if you're sub-70Kg they're well worth the money.
When mine are eventually worn out they'll be replaced with a pair of V2 Carbons without doubt, regardless of price...

Top Bottom