Which shorts for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I'm obviously losing my marbles as i get older, or this cycling addiction is getting worse. I have signed up to do the round Norfolk 200 miler in one day. This is going to mean a very long day in HHW saddle for me so does anyone have any recommendations for bib shorts? I have also just bought train ticket to the start of my 1400 mile touring adventure in the summer and so will use them again on this.
My other thoughts are do I use my trusty tourer which is very comfy, I have completed a 150 mile ride on her before. Or do I go on my faster, more light weight bike which I know average speed will be higher for the same effort and do less time in the saddle but not quite as comfortable? Any helpful advice is always appreciated thanks :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Decathlon ones are fine. Go for the slightly more expensive ones

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Personally I'd go for Endura Humvees for comfort.

endura-hummvee-short-ii-navy-blue-EV292257-4700-1.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I use Craft ones, which were fine for a 600 mile stint on LEL once I'd changed going north.

Alternatively for shorts I use Pearl Izumi Quest.

Basically whatever you find comfortable: it's an individual thing. On the last PBP I had a pair of Assos bibs for the return leg and found the pad too thick at the front - I prefer a thinner chamois pad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I use Craft ones, which were fine for a 600 mile stint on LEL once I'd changed going north.

Alternatively for shorts I use Pearl Izumi Quest.

Basically whatever you find comfortable: it's an individual thing. On the last PBP I had a pair of Assos bibs for the return leg and found the pad too thick at the front - I prefer a thinner chamois pad.
Thanks for your advice. Any particular model? They seem to have lots of variations.

RobinS

Veteran
I go with Decathlon 500 series bib shorts. don't do a huge daily mileage, but when I tour I am on the road for 3 months at a time.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am a big fan of the Progetto X2 Air seat pad found in Castelli shorts from their endurance range. Not cheap, but they work well for me on long rides.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I use DHB ones, good for 7 back to back 200 mile days. Trick is to get out the saddle now and again and not to sit like a sack of spuds on the saddle for these type of distances per day. You don't say whether there are any time limits like say 15 hours elapsed which might influence you choice of bike based on your typical known average speeds on 100 mile or longer rides.

Top Bottom