Which SPD Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tomba

Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas for me to think about :smile:

Sorry for the delay in replying, took me a while to find the thread. Mods must have moved it to the right forum.

John Boy

I am new to cycling as well and will be using the bike to go to work and leisure cycling, 10-15 miles. I have just bought Shimano A530 pedals which are a flat pedal one side and a SPD cleat the other, they come with SH 51 cleats. Careful when buying shoes as the cleat screws are not long enough for some types.

OP
OP
T

Tomba

I am new to cycling as well and will be using the bike to go to work and leisure cycling, 10-15 miles. I have just bought Shimano A530 pedals which are a flat pedal one side and a SPD cleat the other, they come with SH 51 cleats. Careful when buying shoes as the cleat screws are not long enough for some types.

John Boy, thanks for that. Look like a lighter pedal than the M324. Does the flat part have good grip using normal trainers?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got a pair of pedals from EBC last year. EBC no longer stock them. But they were very similar to the one from dotbike ones and I find them great if I want to use trainers or normal shoes if I want to pop round the block. I have M520's on my road bike and don't have a problem with them. I got them as I wanted to be able to use MTB shoes on road bike if I wanted to go to shops and walk any distance. I got dhb R1's as they have holes for 3 and 2 bolt cleats (other shoes do as well).

Boris Bike

I had previously been looking at the M324s but now like the look of the M424s as you can use either cleats or normal trainers on both sides. Don't have to worry about if they are the right way up.

They are described as mountain bike pedals, but I'm assuming you can put them on road/cross bikes too?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
M424's...

they work okay with street shoes though you can feel the spd mechanism a bit if the soles of the shoe are thin. I've got them on one of the mtb's.

Though intended for mtb's they will, like any pedal, fit any road bike or CX-er. Not sure I'd want to face that much ridicule myself though.:whistle:

Top Bottom