Which SPD Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomba

Thinking of trying out a pair of SPDs.

My bike is a hybrid, i'll be doing mostly 15 and hopefully up to 40-50 milers on it. But i'll also use it for a short 2 mile trip to work.

The two i've looked at are Shimano M324 and 424. Had a look at both in Evans and the 424 looks like it can be used on both sides with normal trainers. The 324 has one side flat for normal trainers.

I really dont have a clue which would suit or even if SPDs are for me. Both of these are relatively cheap so wont be a massive regret if they dont suit.

Was also looking at the Shimano M063 shoes. Tried a pair on the other day and feel i'd be ok walking in them when I stop for lunch etc.
What says the experts on these shoes?

Seamab

Shimano M520's are a great and fairly cheap pedal. I've run these for years without a problem. I also have a pair of very basic Shimano spd shoes (can't remember the model but probably not made any more- similar to the current MT22 - lacing rather than velcro) but they have been brilliant over the years and still going strong - very easy to walk in, so ideal for the shops cafe etc...

OP
OP
T

Tomba

Thanks for the replies guys :smile:

The M520s look like both sides clip in. No good for using to go to work with my work trainers on :sad:

OP
OP
T

Tomba

You can clip on either side, but not both at the same time. The cleat is recessed in the trainers so you can still walk in them.

Sorry if i'm confusing things here or not understanding the concept.

What i'm after is a pedal that can be used with both a normal trainer (for going to work) and a SPD shoe.

The 520 appears to be only used with a SPD shoe. I might have confused it with the original post saying the 324 has the SPD clip on one side only and the other side is flat.

Peter88

Veteran
I use the 324 and the 520 on different bikes the 324 can be used by SPD shoes and flat shoes while the 520 are SPD only, Personally i prefer the 520 but am happy with the 324.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
The two i've looked at are Shimano M324 and 424. Had a look at both in Evans and the 424 looks like it can be used on both sides with normal trainers. The 324 has one side flat for normal trainers.
The M324s should be fine for riding in trainers, you just have to get the hang of flipping them over depending whether you're in trainers or SPD shoes, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Tyke

I use the 424's with cheap Lidl shoes and have done 40 miles without problems they are double sided so easy to clip in without looking for the right side first.

I do about 2 miles each way in my work boots OK just a slight high spot in the center but not a problem with the cage adding extra support.

Merlin cycles are cheaper than Evens plus free delivery. Also if you make yourself a member they sometimes have a 10% discount but this comes and goes on the peddles.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Not quite the ass...but link amended, anyway!

BSRU

A Human Being
I have M520's on my main commuter and have Deore XT's on my road bike, the XT's are far superior, so much so I have been considering buying some XT's for my main commuter.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have M520's on my main commuter and have Deore XT's on my road bike, the XT's are far superior, so much so I have been considering buying some XT's for my main commuter.

Just out of curiousity what makes the XT's much better than the M520's? They look similar to me but I am pretty new to cycling, I guess it is more than just weight. I use M520's on my road bike and M324's on my crap weather commuting bike as I sometimes have my daughter in a child seat on it and do not want to be clipped in.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Just out of curiousity what makes the XT's much better than the M520's? They look similar to me but I am pretty new to cycling, I guess it is more than just weight. I use M520's on my road bike and M324's on my crap weather commuting bike as I sometimes have my daughter in a child seat on it and do not want to be clipped in.

The XT and XTR range are usually extremely light. 352g v 415g in the case of the Shimano M770 XT v the M520.

BSRU

A Human Being

They do look similar, I bought as a treat for myself as I thought M520's would look out of place on a road bike I recently bought. Plus at the time High on Bikes had them on special offer for just £45, so not such a great difference in price.

Top Bottom