Which Swiss army knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
djb1971 said:
Apparently,
even in a public place one a blade is locked no matter what length and becomes a fixed blade it is illegal to carry full stop , work related or not. I got done for using one on high street, minding my own business at work by a jumped up little sh1te copper who noticed me using it when he walked past. They couldn't take my Leatherman because it didn't lock and wasn't over 3".

With all of the recent knife crime they've had a massive clamp down on them. I had the choice of being arrested, just for standing on the street working!! or hand it over and fill a knife amnesty form in.
I understand why you are disgruntled about that, and I also understand why you allowed said copper to take the action he did. However, the police do not make the law or decide that you are guilty. The determination of "good reason" for carrying a locking knife lies solely with a jury. Innocent until proven guilty?

djb1971

Legendary Member
Is it worth the bother though?

Norm

djb1971 said:
Take a look at the leatherman multi tools Helen.
Indeed. I have a 12 year old Leatherman PST II which goes everywhere with me and is fabulous.
http://www.leatherman.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=29&f=9&c=1

Other than spanners, the Leatherman and a Park Tools hex set are the only routine maintenance tools I use on the bike.

Gerry Attrick said:
Unless they have changed the design of Leatherman multi-tools and incorporated locking blades, I would caution against them and suggest the Gerber tools instead. My old employer used to provide us with Leatherman tools, but hastily changed them when a number of accidents were reported from the blades folding over fingers!
Hmm... couple of things, in addition to the legal issues about locking blades. The design of the Leatherman means that, as long as the knife is used with the two halves together, it is very difficult for a closing blade to get your fingers. Secondly, I bought a new tool recently and went with another Leatherman because the Gerber tools felt a bit nasty in comparison. The mechanism didn't work well and none of them offered the right mix of tools - I like having the scissors, pliers and files on one tool. Sadly, the PST II is now retired, so I bought a Blast Black.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Swiss army knife my dad gave me when I was 14, 25 years on it is still going strong. I would suggest one with a saw and also scissors used them a lot over the years, have had to replace the scissor spring a couple of times. Your decision should be which make of Swiss army knife as there are two recognized brands.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not going to add anything other than since its been taken abroad ... have you checked whether there are any regulations relating to carrying a knife there?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 for the Leatherman range. I had one bought as a present 6 or so years ago, and it's had pretty much daily use. It's my number one bike maintenance tool and has never given a moments trouble. It's as good now as the day it was bought and I'd be absolutely lost without it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whatever you choose, don't put it in your hand luggage when you fly. Yes, I know it's obvious, but I've had a whole lot of stuff taken off me due to my absent-mindedness.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
slowmotion said:
Whatever you choose, don't put it in your hand luggage when you fly. Yes, I know it's obvious, but I've had a whole lot of stuff taken off me due to my absent-mindedness.

Thanks. I had remembered about that. I'd be gutted to lose my leaving present so quickly!

Crankarm

Guru
The Swiss Army knife with the pull out fork, spoon, cup, plate and stove.

Have you got enough spare toobs and puncture kits as puncture kits over seas can be rather poor? Plus a few spare chains, QUICK LINKS, lube and lots of disposal gloves just in case ..........

The last few months have flown by. It only seems like yesterday Helen that you were canvassing for opinions about giving up your job for your forthcoming world tour. I'm sure you'll have a marvellous time. Keep your CGOAB - Crazy Girl on a Bike journal up to date warts and all, so we can follow your progress :ohmy:.

longers

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Keep your CGOAB - Crazy Girl on a Bike journal up to date warts and all, so we can follow your progress :biggrin:.

Yep, good luck Helen :ohmy: We went in a surplus store in Wales a few times and they had a bowl of airport confiscated Swiss Army Knives by the till.
Not much use to you now but I got a nice one.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You have to be pretty careless to have a blade close on you, lets face it!!
Remember, the blade only goes one way kiddies!!

As for the Swiss Army Knives, to me the Victorinox ones are the best.

I'm sure Leathermans are nice, but boy, they are BUTT ugly!!

No, if you want something that looks remotely normal, got for a Victorinox. You wont regret it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
slowmotion said:

If that happens, LEAVE SECURITY (They are not forcing you to be there) and where possible, post the item to yourself.

I have had to do that twice as quite frankly, I'm NOT, I REPEAT NOT going to let the security at an airport STEAL what is my property!

The more major of the two items was the Victorinox Swiss Army knife with an altimeter (it's sitting beside me now oddly enough) which I had forgotten about.
Heck, it was bought when they were just brand new for about £80 in Switzerland, so obviously I wasn't going to let security get their sweaty little paws on it!!

The other item was some shower gel, but it was the whole principle of the thing seeing as I only had hand luggage with me (So what else was I to do exactly?).

That said, I have been through airport security with a Swiss Army knife at the bottom of my bag which I had forgotten totally about, and security never flagged it up.

Top Bottom