Which Swiss army knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You know, I happened to overhear some people one day talking about going through Airport Security, and quite honestly, by the end, I was convinced they were complete and utter idiots!!

They were talking about having expensive things taken away from them as if it was a daily occurrence and that the rules were somehow unknown and mysterious.

Well, more fool them, that's all I can say and it will be THEIR things you buy at these surplus stores, NOT mine!

Remember, you are under no obligation, JUST LEAVE SECURITY. By sheer dint of you going to security in the first place, means you will be recorded in the system so they can't say you never checked in or you aren't there.

Just leave enough time to make a mad dash to the post box or office though!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As a child, I used to fly to and from NI quite a bit... and the regulations were tighter than the general security in the airport at that time. I also accidentally left the penknife in my hand-luggage but luckily this was spotted at the first security check before you had checked in your bags. Glad it was as it was my Dad's. Other things I remember them remarking on was seeing the large bag of Cookstown sausages in my luggage:biggrin:.

Actually even as an adult I caused problems for one of my children... we were near the weight limit for the bag - as it contained mine and 3 children's luggage in one ... so I took out anything heavy and put it in our hand luggage... well I put a bag of flour in her bag ... and she had her MP3 player in there too ... so large dense object, leads and a battery:blush:. Her bag had to be unpacked and the individual items scanned again and then kind of swabbed too.

ASC1951

Guru
HelenD123 said:
I'm heading off on tour soon and was thinking a Swiss army knife of some sort would be useful. My work are also asking what to get me for a leaving present but I've got virtually everything I need so I thought this would be a good thing for them to get me. Which one would you suggest? I think I'll need a tin opener and corkscrew as a minimum but there are so many options! I already have a bike multitool with screwdrivers and allen keys.
I went for the Explorer http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1000/1.6703
which served me for 30 years caving, climbing, cycling and Munrobashing until I lost it in Knoydart.

Victorinox is part of our European heritage. The Leatherman is heavy, ugly and made by American gorillas for no-necks to hang up in their trucks next to the shotgun rack.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
ASC1951 said:
I went for the Explorer http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1000/1.6703
which served me for 30 years caving, climbing, cycling and Munrobashing until I lost it in Knoydart.

Victorinox is part of our European heritage. The Leatherman is heavy, ugly and made by American gorillas for no-necks to hang up in their trucks next to the shotgun rack.

That does look very useful. I like the idea of the tweezers and magnifying glass.

e-rider

crappy member
slowmotion said:
Whatever you choose, don't put it in your hand luggage when you fly. Yes, I know it's obvious, but I've had a whole lot of stuff taken off me due to my absent-mindedness.

I had my victorinox Huntmans in my pocket at airport security in Germany, ran back to baggage check-in and being the helpful lot they are, they refused to call back my suitcase so I had 2 options: 1. bin my beautiful knife 2. leave it in my pocket and see what happens.

Went for the latter.....and........ they found it straight away, pulled the largest blade out, measured it, and said no problem!!!!!! Couldn't believe my luck! I'm sure in the UK they would take it off you, at the very least - and probably kick your butt too!

Norm

By coincidence, I've got an Explorer too. It's ok as a knife but, because I'm not a bigot (:laugh:) I use a Leatherman as a tool and the Victorinox as just a knife.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
That does look very useful. I like the idea of the tweezers and magnifying glass.

My teeny Swiss Army knife keyring has tweezers, very useful. And the scissors - I probably use them more than the blade.

Although I used the blade last week when I realised we'd gone out on the round with out a pen, so I used the blade to scratch a line through the box on the tick off sheet, and then go over them with pen when we got back...

I think there are versions of the tiny one that have a biro where mine has a toothpick.

ASC1951

Guru
HelenD123 said:
I like the idea of the tweezers and magnifying glass.
The tweezers do actually work well and the scissors are the best for toe- and finger nails that I have ever used. The main use for the magnifying glass was pottering about outside my tent, intruding on insects and plants while I waited for my Primus to boil; although I did once manage to use it to light a fire, just to check that it could be done.

There may be other devices that are better for specific tasks, but the Swiss Army knife is an icon for good reason. It takes you straight back to your childhood - going out camping with my parents, in my case - and it is just fun to own.

[To complete the touring kit, you also need an Opinel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel_knife The blades on multitools are all too short for serious use. I found the No 8 is the best compromise between size and usefulness and with that I have an indestructible knife with a carbon steel blade, which I have used from camping outside the Gouffre Berger in the 70s to chopping chives in my kitchen yesterday. Another icon.]

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
ASC1951 said:
The tweezers do actually work well and the scissors are the best for toe- and finger nails that I have ever used. The main use for the magnifying glass was pottering about outside my tent, intruding on insects and plants while I waited for my Primus to boil; although I did once manage to use it to light a fire, just to check that it could be done.

I was thinking it would be useful to use the magnifying glass in conjunction with the tweezers for removing splinters.

Chrisc

Guru
I always take a swiss army camper knife and a leatherman wave (does have four locking blades) camping. Unfortunately a couple of years ago a slip on our last night on site meant I cut cleanly through the tendon in my left thumb and spent the night and next day having it re-attached in a very nice French hospital. My wife had to pack away everything ( trailer tent...) herself and drive all the way home as I was in a cast for six weeks...careful out there....:thumbsup:

Top Bottom