Which Swiss army knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
I'm heading off on tour soon and was thinking a Swiss army knife of some sort would be useful. My work are also asking what to get me for a leaving present but I've got virtually everything I need so I thought this would be a good thing for them to get me. Which one would you suggest? I think I'll need a tin opener and corkscrew as a minimum but there are so many options! I already have a bike multitool with screwdrivers and allen keys.

This should do the job, although you might have to take your own sink with you! :bicycle:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8b97/

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
djb1971 said:
Take a look at the leatherman multi tools Helen.

Unless they have changed the design of Leatherman multi-tools and incorporated locking blades, I would caution against them and suggest the Gerber tools instead. My old employer used to provide us with Leatherman tools, but hastily changed them when a number of accidents were reported from the blades folding over fingers!

djb1971

Legendary Member
If you get caught with any blade that locks you are in trouble. The blades in leathermans are the same as my swiss army they only fold inwards.

trust me I know you can get into trouble for having a locking blade even 1" long.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Looks handy enough, has the all important bottle opener/corkscrew :bicycle:

I've used them for years and they've never broken or played up at all. I carry the micro at all times on the keys.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Unless they have changed the design of Leatherman multi-tools and incorporated locking blades, I would caution against them and suggest the Gerber tools instead. My old employer used to provide us with Leatherman tools, but hastily changed them when a number of accidents were reported from the blades folding over fingers!

I can't see that any of the Gerbers have a corkscrew.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
djb1971 said:
If you get caught with any blade that locks you are in trouble. The blades in leathermans are the same as my swiss army they only fold inwards.

trust me I know you can get into trouble for having a locking blade even 1" long.

Good point. I was employed in an area of work which provided legal authority to possess a locking blade, so there would have been no problems for me. However, the law also says a locking blade can be carried provided you have a reasonable excuse. Whether touring/camping provides that excuse I know not.

Sorry if I misled you Helen. If you go with a non-locking type, beware your fingers!

e-rider

crappy member
I'd recommend:

Swiss Army - The Huntsman or The Climber

OR the Gerber Suspension; if you want a plier type tool (you will not be in trouble for carrying this balde unless you're hanging about a street corner in the early hours of the morning looking dodgy!)

djb1971

Legendary Member
Apparently,
even in a public place one a blade is locked no matter what length and becomes a fixed blade it is illegal to carry full stop , work related or not. I got done for using one on high street, minding my own business at work by a jumped up little sh1te copper who noticed me using it when he walked past. They couldn't take my Leatherman because it didn't lock and wasn't over 3".

With all of the recent knife crime they've had a massive clamp down on them. I had the choice of being arrested, just for standing on the street working!! or hand it over and fill a knife amnesty form in.

Top Bottom