Which touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I've got an old Thorn eXp with better than 80,000 miles on it. It has been ridden all over the world over the past 13 years and is still going strong, now as a winter bike. I love it and would recommend Thorn highly.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I am happy with my Ridgeback Panorama,
Ditto
I was going for a LHT but delivery kept getting put back, but I ended up getting £200 discount on the Panorama & quicker delivery :thumbsup: the Panorama comes with STI type shifters which was a big plus for me over the bar ends & comes fully kitted with front & rear racks, mudguards & 3 bottle cages.

It depends. I like my touring bikes a bit nippier, so I loved my Orbit Silver Medal (no longer made). I've now got a Ridgeback Romany (like milo, it seems), which is a great bike, and very steady, but not so quick, really. I like the look of the new Ridgebacks. But if I were speccing a new touring bike (and I hope I am very soon), I would go for a hub gear - Alfine or Rohloff. And I'd mate that to a good quality frame like a Bob Jackson, rather than the very stodgy Thorns. Ideally with disc brakes.

Disc brakes and hub gears also points in the direction of the Genesis Day One Alfine, which is very attractive.

All that said, I do like the look of the Singular Peregrine.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've got an old Thorn eXp with better than 80,000 miles on it. It has been ridden all over the world over the past 13 years and is still going strong, now as a winter bike. I love it and would recommend Thorn highly.
I have a Thorn Nomad with a mear 22,000 'moles' on the clock, so I would also suggest that thorn are worth a very close look. They do supply bikes with S&S couplings, and more importantly they sell most of their bikes by mail order, they ask lot of questions about your size and riding styles and then build a bike to your size and spec. So the fact that you are in Denmark will make no difference to them

cnb

Veteran
I have a surly LHT and love it..Bit of a tank though...

biped

Another vote for the 631 Hewitt Cheviot. The same frame/bike can also be had from Ghyllside Cycles in Ambleside, who are enthusiastic and helpful (as are Hewitt). I have a 26" wheeled version, and it's been great, though I wish I'd gone for the 700c version in retrospect (It's a 58cm frame). Thorn are very much worth a look and great for advice.
20 kg carrying weight and 11stones is lighter than me and my load, so if you want to go cheaper and lighter a Surly Crosscheck may be the answer.
I wouldn't touch Spa with my worst enemy's bargepole no matter how good their bikes are.
Re going on a plane, do a search, there are threads about this. Flying with a full sized bike is generally no problem if you pack it appropriately.

jay clock

Massive member
I know most Brits go for a drop barred bike with 700c wheels, but I have the option taken by lots of German/Dutch cyclists with 26" wheels and flat bars. Rock solid, just done 2400km with one broken spoke only. Mine is Koga Miyata Worl Traveller

Alberto

I built a surly LHT over the winter, with new and second-hand parts, all well under £1000, including tubus racks front and back. It is very nice indeed, very stable when loaded. Nothing too fancy, just reliable stuff. I did look at the S & S couplers option, but I very much doubt you are going to find a complete bike for under £1500...but if you do travel with it a lot, it may be worth it?

IMG_5910.JPG

I forgot to add that I've tried out a few other tourers lately, courtesy of Brixton Cycles and other friends. I liked the feel of the Disc Trucker, and had an extended ride on a mate's LHT. Very comfortable, if a bit soggy. I really liked the Cross Check, and would happily tour on one. Very responsive machine, not heavy, but you know you can rely on it absolutely. I also rode a Salsa Vaya. Very very pretty bike. Sadly, it was very disappointing in action, and took a while to get going when I put the power in. Also felt a bit wobbly in the bends. Not recommended, though YMMV of course.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
On the trans american tour this summer i met several long haul trucker riders...i rode one around th eblock...it was heavy compared to my dawes galaxy 2007 ...and felt sluggish by comparison..it was also a smaller frame so i was expecting it to be lighter and faster but it wasnt. This was unloaded by the way.

Cant recommend the galaxy enough...solid reliable..fast...good on the climbs, stable downhill, carries weight very well etc

Top Bottom