Which touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am looking for a long distance touring bike. I am about 11 stones and will be carrying about 20kg of gear. The bike must be able to go on a plane.

Ideally, I would like it with front and rear pannier racks and at least 2 bottle holders. The bike will be used for non speedy Golazez touring.

The budget is about £1500 but can be taken up a notch at a push.

I have just started searching and the Koga bikes look appealing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve

stumpy66

Veteran
I am looking for a long distance touring bike. I am about 11 stones and will be carrying about 20kg of gear. The bike must be able to go on a plane.

Ideally, I would like it with front and rear pannier racks and at least 2 bottle holders. The bike will be used for non speedy Golazez touring.

Steve
I have a hewitt chevoit se and its been faultless, you can spec whatever you like on the bike and Paul Hewitt is well known for building great wheels. He also offers a fitting service and is useful to chat through with him about the options. the chevoit se has stainless steel dropouts, 3 sets of bottle mounts. I went for tubus racks and have been great, think the cheviot se can be had for around 1500. My mate has a thorn sherpa which he loves, there is also the dawes galaxy, but im sure there will be others along with more knowledge of other bikes.

stumpy66

Veteran

Steve
My preference is for a steel frame, more comfortable than alu and easier to repair, titanium would be great but more expensive

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'd second Stumpy's suggestion of a Paul Hewitt bike. It would definitely be top of my list for a new tourer. I've got a Dawes Ultra Galaxy but don't think they're great value.

I don't know what the Spa Cycles tourers are like but I'd also have a look at one of those. They know they're stuff and are usually good value.

I am probably biased but I am pretty happy with my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Another option is the Vivente Randonneur but I am not sure that you can get these in the UK.

P9080683.JPG

Thorn bikes are seem to get favourable mentions.

Andrew

I am happy with my Ridgeback Panorama,

day10-2.jpg

Danny

Legendary Member
I also have a Hewitt Cheviot and would definitely recommend one. It is a good touring bike and Paul will fit it out with any combination of components you want - and if you are not sure what you need he can offer good advice.

Even more importantly I would recommend that you buy from somewhere with the sort of bike fitting service that Paul Hewitt offers as you really want a machine that fits you well if you are going to be doing long distance touring.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I will pour through your suggestions and come back with questions. Thanks a lot for sending them.

I just had to say to middleagecyclist "Do you not know who Speedy Gonzalez is?"

Being middleaged, you must do. That is unless I am very old ^_^

I am 54.

By the way guys, as my name suggests, I am in Denmark and even though a trip to a bespoke British bike builder sounds appealing. It would add a bit too much onto the cost of the bike. Any off the peg bike suggestions would be good.

Steve

I will pour through your suggestions and come back with questions. Thanks a lot for sending them.

I just had to say to middleagecyclist "Do you not know who Speedy Gonzalez is?"

Being middleaged, you must do. That is unless I am very old ^_^

I am 54.

By the way guys, as my name suggests, I am in Denmark and even though a trip to a bespoke British bike builder sounds appealing. It would add a bit too much onto the cost of the bike. Any off the peg bike suggestions would be good.

Steve
Ahh! The fastest mouse in all of Mexico. Now i comprende!

Top Bottom