Which touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cnb

Veteran
I recently treated myself to a Dawes ultra galaxy, courtesy of picton cycles..2011 model..huge discount...So i couldnt resist it...It seems a great bike..Only been to work on it a few times so far, but feels a good ride.If picton still has them its a good price.

biped

Pray tell why

Poor and lazy mail order service which compromised a planned tour and a staggeringly disinterested and verbally aggressive response when I rang to say that I would be returning the items and why.
There are plenty of threads on various fora about Spa's attitude. Lets not hijack this thread and keep on topic. I'll happily expand if you want ether by pm or on another thread.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is really good to get so many replies.

My current bike is Trek lexa SL. Yes I know it is a ladys bike :smile: Said the ex army welterweight boxing champion. :tongue:

I use it for light touring and it is an excellent bike for me. It feels to be a fraction shorter than bikes I have had in the past and so I sit up more and I like that position. The reason I think I need a dedicated touring bike is that I will be pulling a trailer on our trips before long.

We are buying a whippet and need a trailer for it to ride in. Not the heaviest dog in the world but I don`t think my Trek is up to dragging a trailer.

It will be 90% tarmac riding and the other 10% will be hard packed level surfaces, all in europe, and so I do not think that a steel frame is paramount. I am leaning towards the Koga Miyata World Traveller as I have only read good reports about it.

Unless someone knows different?

Steve

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Surly LHTs are fine bikes -however, since this is a board, I've got some opinions on them:

LHTs -at least over here in the USA -pretty much were the only option for touring bikes for quite a time at the touring entry price point, and you could also add in the fact you could buy a frame only (which, on the face of it, means you can seemingly get a purpose touring frame at an even lower price point -unless of course, you actually added up the real costs -but at least it felt like you could). Add to this Surly is owned by QBP -which meant they could market the bikes through their own sales channels -QBP is the really big time supplier/distributor for almost all local bike shops, and it meant you could go down to almost any bike shop and order one (this at a time when you were lucky to even find a touring bike in a shop). So the sales channel was really excellent, and then the marketing chaps at Surly gave you the idea that Surlys were being knocked out by some tattoo grunged gnarly American iron worker in the back streets of some gritty American metropolis (stroke of marketing genius!).

Anyway, this meant, in my opinion, they became the de facto touring bike in the States. And, I have to say, for good reason: the frame, though not fancy, was touring specific and well built. Given all this, and with the internet forum boards, I think the LHT gained a little bit of a touring legend status -a status I can't help but feel is not entirely deserved.

But here's the rub; I'm convinced it wasn't so much it was that good, it was just that there wasn't any other reasonable competition within the same price point, let alone having the marketing or sales outlet power or the jazzed up image generated by Surly marketing machine. The mantra became "get an LHT" whenever someone asked "what touring bike" (assuming they were on the lower end of the price spectrum).

The truth of the matter is that LHTs (at least the ones I've seen) have in my opinion, at best, mediocre paint finishes (admittedly they could have improved since I last saw one), are heavy, use (in relative terms) lower specced steel and are knocked up in some factory in Taiwan (Surly Bikes, by the way, is based not in some gritty metropolis, but in the safe middle class suburb of Bloomington, Minnesota, home of America's largest shopping mall, and I'll bet the executive management wears ties, too :smile: Ordinarily I wouldn't put this sort of stuff in a post, but if you visit the Surly web site, the image it tries to depict is so far off reality and so full of marketing [insert whatever word you want here] seemingly aimed at adolescent boys, I just can't resist.

Finally, I do want to reiterate LHTs are good and worthy bikes (I'd recommend one for the price point it occupies over here in the States), just that I think they really aren't that great. I can't help but think there has to be better options over there in the UK. Maybe it's the fact they aren't that common in the UK it gives them a bit of cachet?

avalon

Guru
I am looking for a long distance touring bike. I am about 11 stones and will be carrying about 20kg of gear. The bike must be able to go on a plane.

Ideally, I would like it with front and rear pannier racks and at least 2 bottle holders. The bike will be used for non speedy Golazez touring.

The budget is about £1500 but can be taken up a notch at a push.

I have just started searching and the Koga bikes look appealing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve
Are you beginning to wish you hadn't asked for suggestions?

Bodhbh

Guru
Finally, I do want to reiterate LHTs are good and worthy bikes (I'd recommend one for the price point it occupies over here in the States), just that I think they really aren't that great. I can't help but think there has to be better options over there in the UK. Maybe it's the fact they aren't that common in the UK it gives them a bit of cachet?

I'm not sure. I've seen a one or two proped up against walls when about. I don't keep too much of an eye on the market but they seem reasonably priced too, coming in at under £1000.

Herbie

Veteran
I am looking for a long distance touring bike. I am about 11 stones and will be carrying about 20kg of gear. The bike must be able to go on a plane.

Ideally, I would like it with front and rear pannier racks and at least 2 bottle holders. The bike will be used for non speedy Golazez touring.

The budget is about £1500 but can be taken up a notch at a push.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Avalon the more suggestions the better. It is good to have options. By the way, what they sell in the UK does not apply to me as I am in Denmark.

Steve

Alberto

Surly LHTs are fine bikes -however, since this is a board, I've got some opinions on them:

LHTs -at least over here in the USA -pretty much were the only option for touring bikes for quite a time at the touring entry price point, and you could also add in the fact you could buy a frame only (which, on the face of it, means you can seemingly get a purpose touring frame at an even lower price point -unless of course, you actually added up the real costs -but at least it felt like you could). Add to this Surly is owned by QBP -which meant they could market the bikes through their own sales channels -QBP is the really big time supplier/distributor for almost all local bike shops, and it meant you could go down to almost any bike shop and order one (this at a time when you were lucky to even find a touring bike in a shop). So the sales channel was really excellent, and then the marketing chaps at Surly gave you the idea that Surlys were being knocked out by some tattoo grunged gnarly American iron worker in the back streets of some gritty American metropolis (stroke of marketing genius!).

Anyway, this meant, in my opinion, they became the de facto touring bike in the States. And, I have to say, for good reason: the frame, though not fancy, was touring specific and well built. Given all this, and with the internet forum boards, I think the LHT gained a little bit of a touring legend status -a status I can't help but feel is not entirely deserved.

But here's the rub; I'm convinced it wasn't so much it was that good, it was just that there wasn't any other reasonable competition within the same price point, let alone having the marketing or sales outlet power or the jazzed up image generated by Surly marketing machine. The mantra became "get an LHT" whenever someone asked "what touring bike" (assuming they were on the lower end of the price spectrum).

The truth of the matter is that LHTs (at least the ones I've seen) have in my opinion, at best, mediocre paint finishes (admittedly they could have improved since I last saw one), are heavy, use (in relative terms) lower specced steel and are knocked up in some factory in Taiwan (Surly Bikes, by the way, is based not in some gritty metropolis, but in the safe middle class suburb of Bloomington, Minnesota, home of America's largest shopping mall, and I'll bet the executive management wears ties, too :smile: Ordinarily I wouldn't put this sort of stuff in a post, but if you visit the Surly web site, the image it tries to depict is so far off reality and so full of marketing [insert whatever word you want here] seemingly aimed at adolescent boys, I just can't resist.

That's is a very interesting reply, which I totally agree with. They do have great marketing (which I often find silly), and produce some unusual bikes for which there's (or there was!) a market gap. I very much doubt there's other competitors, other than Dawes over here, at the same price range. Surely in the UK there's plenty of other touring options, most of which I did consider when I built mine. However, they all come at a higher price, some from companies that I do not particularly like either. I went for the good-value for money tag, rather than cachet or cool looks that Surly have. After all, unless you are planning on going on a very very epic tour, I cannot justify spending all the money than the other companies involve. And even then, there seems to be plenty of people who have done plenty of touring on LHTs, more than I will probably ever do, without a problem.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes, most people do (though my friend who had one didn't care for it, and ended up selling it and getting the Salsa Vaya which I think is a great bike). Still, I think my point is that it's a lot easier to like something when it may be the only thing available within your price point and works for what it is intended for.

For full disclosure, I have a Dawes Sardar (old steel model) which I love and much prefer to the LHT. And yes, if I was looking for an entry level touring bike (at least over here in the States) I'd more than likely end up with an LHT given the only other new option is likely to be a Fuji touring or Windsor touring bike (though again, that's not exactly superlative praise, more like just settling isn't it?).

If I was in the UK however, I'd definitely check out the Dawes models, and the Hewitt Cheviot. I'm not a big fan of Thorns -but only from an aesthetic perspective -and I'd check them out too. Course, now I think we're moving into a different price range.

Anyway, for the OP -within reason, it's not so much about the bike, more about the ability to get out there (plenty of people have toured on touring or even non-touring specific bikes and still made it! I toured on a $4 frame I bought from a scrap yard quite nicely, thanks). I think any of the models mentioned will make great touring bikes. The best touring bike is the bike out on tour.

The most important thing about Surly LHTs and Surly cross checks, is that everyone that owns one seems to like them..Pretty much sums it up really...

I looked at the Koga World Traveller but ended up getting a Rohloff equipped Santos Travelmaster which I love. They are both more of an expedition bike than a typical touring bike though - heavy, very strong, stable under big loads and low maintenance. It handles well on and off road and is very comfy. The weight does reduce the average speed but that is hardly a problem if doing a fully loaded type of tour or for my all weather work commute.

This is it when I got it a couple of years ago. Not changed much but I now have a SON hub and Schmidt Edelux on it.
bike-and-panniers.jpg

Top Bottom