Which Trip Computer?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by grumpyoldgit, 30 Jul 2012.

1. grumpyoldgit

grumpyoldgit Über Member

Got a cat eye,its as much use as a chocolate fireguard.Too small to read,too fiddly to set up,& far too complicated.
    Any nice simple ones,with big numbers?

2. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

Sigma BC1609

3. SquareDaff

SquareDaff Über Member

As per always it depends on budget. I've just upgraded to a Garmin Edge 800 as I'm now doing a lot more cycling on routes I'm not familiar with. Before that I had a Sigma BC1909 and had no problems. Plus I found Sigma's customer service department to be excellent!

4. OP
    OP
    grumpyoldgit

grumpyoldgit Über Member

Far too much information on the 1909.Speed/distance/time would suit fine.

5. ushills

ushills Senior Member

Hawk likes this.
  6. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

If you have an iPhone get a wahoo case and kit :smile: amazing thing and as you'd have your phone with you anyway adds very little weight

7. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

Wow, £15?! It's £50 on Evans, and has Cadence, and a reputable brand behind it :ohmy: thanks for sharing!

8. OP
    OP
    grumpyoldgit

grumpyoldgit Über Member

Thanks,will take a look at those.

9. ushills

ushills Senior Member

Mines been great, temperature as well!! Perfect for hot and freezing days. 29.5C at the weekend!

10. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

How do you find the mounting bracket? Haven't taken it out cycling yet but it feels like the computer could detach from the bracket, that is cable-tied to my handlebars, really quite easily, even during cycling??

11. ushills

ushills Senior Member

Never detached, just make sure you fit it fully in the bracket.

It won't come out unless you knock it.

12. Nigelnaturist

Nigelnaturist Guru

Mine arrived 3/8/12, works great, more info than my Halfords 8 function, I have had since 2008, though in fairness you only use one or two while cycling. The cadence is good, it confirms roughly what I thought avg of 83 on my 10 mile loop last night. The max seems to be a problem though shows max of 99, I dont think I got that fast, I will be out later, and I will see.

13. Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

As mentioned above get a Sigma. I used to have a basic Cateye Velo 8 on my commuting bike until it lost itself off it's mounting. I replaced with a basic Sigma the BC1009. It has a bigger display, a safer mounting system and it also allows you to put in an odometer reading if required. Something that you cannot do on the Velo 8 which is pretty crap IMHO.

14. evo456

evo456 Senior Member

£7 cycle wireless computer from LIDL. The menu/screen header is a bit difficult to read. But for the price and functionality it's a good deal. It was giving mis-readings but a new spoke magnet sorted that out and now all is well.

15. Count 8 from Decathlon. The easiest computer I've ever had. Set up was a doddle, fitment a piece of cake, screen is a good size and it just works, simple :thumbsup:

I also use Strava & Cyclemeter so I just want to see my speed and distance at a glance, and TBh the Count 4 would ave probably been fine for what I wanted.

I can't recommend these computers highly enough :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice