Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
The Marathon Racer doesn't have bad puncture protection at level 4. Marathon + are highest level 7 PP, but will be a fair bit heavier than the Racer and will have more rolling resistance.
I would stick with the Racer and see how they go.
The Brompton build a bike site said the more puncture resistant one is 0.162kg heavier. Is this likely to be noticeable? What do you mean by rolling resistance?

Smudge

Veteran
The Brompton build a bike site said the more puncture resistant one is 0.162kg heavier. Is this likely to be noticeable? What do you mean by rolling resistance?

I've had M+ on a bike before and didn't like the feel of them, maybe psychological, but they did seem to have more RR than other Schwalbe tyres i've used. They are also not as easy to change.
I tend to go standard Marathon, Delta Cruiser, or Land Cruiser. I prefer these over M+.

Smudge

Veteran
Also, the puncture protection on the 3 tyres i mentioned are only 1 level up from the Racer.
So i wouldn't change the Racer straight away, just see how does. I always at least give a tyre a chance for a while, unless i know that tyre is crap.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Thats standard Marathon, level 5 PP..... M+ is level 7.
Ah so this one is the Plus https://www.evanscycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-flat-less-brompton-16-commuter-tyre-EV216356

How much of a difference is there between level 5 and level 7? I don't have any experience in this so not sure if 2 levels is a big jump. If I order from Brompton the level 5 comes on the bike already, whereas buying at Evans they have the Racer on it and getting the level 7 would be extra.

Smudge

Veteran
Ah so this one is the Plus https://www.evanscycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-flat-less-brompton-16-commuter-tyre-EV216356

How much of a difference is there between level 5 and level 7? I don't have any experience in this so not sure if 2 levels is a big jump. If I order from Brompton the level 5 comes on the bike already, whereas buying at Evans they have the Racer on it and getting the level 7 would be extra.

I use the level 5 and i'm perfectly happy with that level. Extremely rare for me to get punctures.
But my advice is stick with the Racer for a while. I've not had experience of that tyre, but level 4 isn't bad, so i personally wouldn't change it without using it for a while.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
I use the level 5 and i'm perfectly happy with that level. Extremely rare for me to get punctures.
But my advice is stick with the Racer for a while. I've not had experience of that tyre, but level 4 isn't bad, so i personally wouldn't change it without using it for a while.
Is the Racer level 4? The thing is, if I buy from Brompton, I will get the level 5 because that is what they supply their bikes with (at least at the store I am buying from anyway).

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the Racer level 4? The thing is, if I buy from Brompton, I will get the level 5 because that is what they supply their bikes with (at least at the store I am buying from anyway).
Get the level 5 and ride your bike :bicycle:

Do learn how to sort a puncture though and carry the kit with you, a puncture can happen anywhere to any bike at any time (obviously you can mitigate by avoiding big potholes, piles of glass etc)

Gunk

Guru
Get the level 5 and ride your bike :bicycle:

Do learn how to sort a puncture though and carry the kit with you, a puncture can happen anywhere to any bike at any time (obviously you can mitigate by avoiding big potholes, piles of glass etc)

Or always carry £20 and just fold it up and get a taxi home.

I don’t wish to appear rude but I feel that you are over thinking this, if Brompton only offered one tyre you’d just ride away happy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Or always carry £20 and just fold it up and get a taxi home.

I don’t wish to appear rude but I feel that you are over thinking this, if Brompton only offered one tyre you’d just ride away happy.
Yes that too, or just walk home if close 👍
I’m personally a bit wary of cabs right now

Certainly agreed on the second point 👍

roley poley

Über Member
I have no idea how to change tyres or do any repairs on a bike. I thought the more puncture resistant tyre might be a good option to mitigate my lack of ability.
to learn more watch" brilliant bikes" on you tube as they take off and change tyres on learn how to videos on bromptons :hello:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IME it's usually possible to fix a tube without removing the wheel. The only times I've had to get the wheel off was to change the tyre. I've got standard Marathons on there and they've been trouble-free for a few years now.

Top Bottom