Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Get a Beto, I’ve had mine 10 years now

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I bought a 2nd hand Brompton which came with old Marathons on it. As they were old anyway, and clearly not ideal for road use, having thick energy sapping thread, I went for smooth road-oriented Schwalbe Kojaks.

Sheer extravagance! I would have run the Marathons until the puncture protection layer started to show through the tread, and they'd actually be slicks by that stage anyway.....
If Marathons are "not ideal for road use" then what sort of surface were they actually designed for, considering they are clearly NOT an off-road MTB tyre?

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
I ended up getting the bike direct from Brompton so it has the Marathon tyre (not M+ or Racer). Just need the pump gauge and I should be good! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Gunk

Guru
Post some photos when it arrives

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
welcome to the fold JE201^_^
They are a lot of fun to ride since they are so nimble. I went for the 6 speed one and I'm glad I did since there are so many more combinations depending on the gradient of the road. Not having to lock it up and leave it outside a shop/supermarket/etc. is a real positive.

vickster

Legendary Member
They are a lot of fun to ride since they are so nimble. I went for the 6 speed one and I'm glad I did since there are so many more combinations depending on the gradient of the road. Not having to lock it up and leave it outside a shop/supermarket/etc. is a real positive.
Don’t forget to practice changing the inner tubes :okay:

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Don’t forget to practice changing the inner tubes :okay:
Does this require taking the wheels off the bike? When I asked in store they said it costs £10-£20 to repair a puncture depending on if it's the front or back tyre.

Top Bottom