Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
A patch is a buck or less. Tires can be patched while the wheel is on the bike if you can identify where the hole is. I take the wheel off and make a point of running my fingers along the inside of the tire to identify where the intruder is. Unfortunately, these bikes require that a wheel is mounted deflated, or loosening the brake cable so the tire will clear the brakes. I've replaced the 10mm bolts with Allen bolts so I don't need to carry a 10 mm wrench. Some folks carry an extra tube, so the punctured one can be patched at home in the warm and dry. Won't take too many flats at those prices to pay for a 15 mm wrench, tire irons, patches, a nice litle pump and a set of Allens or a multi tool. Replacing or fixiing flats, tires, brake pads, chains, cable and cable housing are things you can learn to do yourself, and are most of what normal maintenance consists of. Your LBS can cut cable housing, cables and chains to size if you bring in the old ones.

12boy

Guru
The chain and spindle coming out of the rear hub is connected to the shift cable. It is adjusted so the rear hub shifts properly. There are many YouTube instructions on this, but simply, screw the shifter into the hub until tight and the unscrew it a half or turn or so so the chain coming out of it will bend with the pull. The shift cable has a housing that will tighten or loosen on the shifter and a nut to lock it into place. When in high gear the shift cable should be slack and that is when you adjust it. Then see if it shifts properly. If it doesn't, put it back in high gear and tighten or loosen it. If it won't go into a lower gear, tighten the cable adjustment and loosen it if it won't shift into high. After you do this a few times it is very easy. You have to unscrew the cable from the shift spindle coming out of the axle to remove the rear wheel, therefore the need to have it adjusted properly after the wheel is replaced..

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
A patch is a buck or less. Tires can be patched while the wheel is on the bike if you can identify where the hole is. I take the wheel off and make a point of running my fingers along the inside of the tire to identify where the intruder is. Unfortunately, these bikes require that a wheel is mounted deflated, or loosening the brake cable so the tire will clear the brakes. I've replaced the 10mm bolts with Allen bolts so I don't need to carry a 10 mm wrench. Some folks carry an extra tube, so the punctured one can be patched at home in the warm and dry. Won't take too many flats at those prices to pay for a 15 mm wrench, tire irons, patches, a nice litle pump and a set of Allens or a multi tool. Replacing or fixiing flats, tires, brake pads, chains, cable and cable housing are things you can learn to do yourself, and are most of what normal maintenance consists of. Your LBS can cut cable housing, cables and chains to size if you bring in the old ones.
How long does it take to repair a puncture on a Brompton if I do it myself on the side of a road? And this would just be putting a patch on the outside of the tyre or on the inner tube? And when we talk about fixing a puncture, that is different to replacing the tube, correct?

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
The chain and spindle coming out of the rear hub is connected to the shift cable. It is adjusted so the rear hub shifts properly. There are many YouTube instructions on this, but simply, screw the shifter into the hub until tight and the unscrew it a half or turn or so so the chain coming out of it will bend with the pull. The shift cable has a housing that will tighten or loosen on the shifter and a nut to lock it into place. When in high gear the shift cable should be slack and that is when you adjust it. Then see if it shifts properly. If it doesn't, put it back in high gear and tighten or loosen it. If it won't go into a lower gear, tighten the cable adjustment and loosen it if it won't shift into high. After you do this a few times it is very easy. You have to unscrew the cable from the shift spindle coming out of the axle to remove the rear wheel, therefore the need to have it adjusted properly after the wheel is replaced..
I'm going to be honest, a lot of that went over my head..

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Surely the standard way is put the gear lever in mid gear and tighten the chain until the end of the rod just shows level with the aperture. That should be it. No guessing.

12boy

Guru
Hopefully the tire is still good, meaning it has only a little hole, but a big one, a slit, or ruptured sidewall probably can't be fixed. If not too big, then we patch the puncture in the tire. If the tire is damaged severely you are SOL. If you have never done this it could take a long time, especially in rain or snow and howling winds. That's why you practice adjusting the shifter in the rear hub, loosening and tightening brakes, removing and installing tires etc. In your well lit, warm and dry garage, kitchen or what have you. With a Brompton you can always take it home by taxi, bus or a friend's car and fix it there. In your case you might want to carry an extra innertube so as to minimize the on road repairs.​

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If the inner tube is punctured, that will need replacing or patching too

roley poley

Über Member
The adjustment of IGH shifters is something for which a good YouTube lesson is a thousand worth a thousand words.
a cup of tea and a watch of bromptons own web site vids will save you money and give confidence in your abilities to do many routine jobs and as I have said before brilliant bike vids .You can always look on our folding bikes forum for info and post any problems you have for tips^_^

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
a cup of tea and a watch of bromptons own web site vids will save you money and give confidence in your abilities to do many routine jobs and as I have said before brilliant bike vids .You can always look on our folding bikes forum for info and post any problems you have for tips^_^
I got an email saying my bike has already been registered. Do I still need to create an account on the "Owners" part of the site? I presume this is where the videos are?

Gunk

Guru
My Brompton has the standard own brand tyres on. In 5 years I’ve had just the one puncture. I average 15 mph on these tyres, so they roll well enough.

I’m pretty sure that they are made by Schwalbe for Brompton, the tread pattern is similar to the old Marathon Racer

roley poley

Über Member
I got an email saying my bike has already been registered. Do I still need to create an account on the "Owners" part of the site? I presume this is where the videos are?
have a go the site should tell you if you exist on it or not and poke about you will find their vids

Top Bottom