Which Tyre Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I'm looking to replace my worn out 700x28 Specialized All Condition Armadilos on my Sirrus Elite.

Was just wondering whether to go for 25c or 23c? I only use my bike for commuting approx 9 miles each way theough London's crappy roads.

what are the pros and cons of each tyre size, i.e. would I sacrifice a lot of comfort, by choosing 23c against 25c or 28c and vice versa, would i sacrifice much speed by choosing 28c against 25c or 23c?

Logic would seem to suggest 25c to be a good balance:wacko:

btw, i'm thinking of getting Schwalbe Stelvio Plus... as I hate getting P's!

Thanks for any advice!

Tynan

Veteran
general mood is 23 is best, still comf but quick, narrower is arguably not as quick, I'm on 23s in London and absolutely fine with them, had 25s before - 23s feel a bit faster with no real extra harshness, I am on a steel frame and carbon forks though

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I find my Conti 25c ultra gators are cushier than my 23c GP4000 - that could be down to running the Gators at lower pressure though (95psi in the gators, 110psi ish in the GP4000)

Slim

Über Member
I've just swapped from 28s to 23s on my Sirrus Comp. The ride is slightly harsher but the journey time has been reduced by a bit. FWIW the bike does feel nippier but I'm not sure if thats psychological cyclelogical.

Another plus point is that the 23s go past the brake shoes easier.

OP
OP

Got the 23c Schwalbe Stelvio plus' today... 1st impressions, on the short ride home, is that comfort is not seriously affected but they did seem a bit quicker.

Will find out on Monday what they're really like on my first commute with them!

Top Bottom