which tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smorg

Hi All, my first post so please bare with me.
I have just bought a Ridgback Avenida 7, secondhand but only a year old.
Its fitted with Continental Contact 37-662 which look like road tyres. I live next to Marriotts Way in Norfolk which is a disused railwayline and can be a bit rough and in winter muddy in places. Can I fit a fatter tyre with more grip which is puncture proof?
Im sure this has been covered before but would appreciate any help
Thanks

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
At 37-mm it would probably be fine on most of that stuff unless you get really muddy (I've riden 28mm sport contacts on compacted damp mud before and they are ok). I wouldn't worry too much about going wider

If you want to add a bit more tread then you could though. Either something like a Schwalbe Marathon or Continental Touring Plus might be ok.

For a real gloopy mud bath you may want to look into cyclo-cross tyres or even 29er tyres, but I'd be surprised if an old rail line would need full off-road equipment, and the extra tred would slow you down.

My Ridgeback also has 37mm tyres and has ridden on messy old railway paths, I don't think anything wider would be needed and they are great tyres, mine are still hanging in there at 8400miles and iirc have only suffered 2 p'tures one in the front, when I stupidly failed to see half a broken bottle lying in the middle of the path (the tyres were quite new then), and one just before last Christmas when a fellow student left a drawing pin for me out side the university. At a guess 6000miles between p'tures.

Top Bottom