Which way on cycle lanes - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
After years of cyclists doing it anyway, our local council has finally given up the unequal struggle and installed a cycle lane going against the traffic flow down one of our local streets. When I was approaching said street with the traffic flow, I could see that the cars were backed up for about fifty metres because of a red light. So I took it upon myself to ride the cycle lane to the lights at the top of said street. As the cycle lane was on my offside ( and I went past a police car, who didn't react ):hyper:, was I committing an illegal act - ?
Does the law regarding cycle lanes on a road state categorically that they may only be ridden in one direction, or as in the case of shared cycle / pedestrian lanes, are they duo directional - ?:bicycle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It varies with each lane depending on the traffic order. Not that it matters because people will do whatever they want anyway!

jnrmczip

There is a one way street in glasgow city enter that cars come up but cyclists go down but this is sign posted although I thought it was strange. Would make more sense to go the same direction as traffic

mjr

We're getting more of those "one way except cycles" streets in King's Lynn at last. Cambridge has some already I think. It's a good way to open up more direct routes and avoid some bad junctions.

jnrmczip

We're getting more of those "one way except cycles" streets in King's Lynn at last. Cambridge has some already I think. It's a good way to open up more direct routes and avoid some bad junctions.

I thought there may be a reason behind it and this does make sense thinking about the surrounding junctions and narrow roads busses use.

Kookas

Über Member
Wouldn't it just be like filtering on the wrong side of the road, except in this case the wrong side is purely cycle lane?

G-Zero

Über Member
Unless it's signed as a contra flow cycle lane and it's wide enough for two bikes passing, I personally would only use it while travelling in the direction of flow on the main carriageway.

If it's not wide enough for two bikes to pass, you risk one of the bikes being pushed out of the cycle lane against the intended flow and going head on against motor vehicles.

mjr

If it's not wide enough for two bikes to pass, you risk one of the bikes being pushed out of the cycle lane against the intended flow and going head on against motor vehicles.
No, they tend to prefer going head on against the oncoming cyclists because they do less damage :sad: DAHIK :sad: When faced with this situation, either shoulder-check and move out as early as you can, or slow to a stop so they're the one that falls :evil:

Top Bottom