Whitby to Scarborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Has anyone ridden the cycle track from Whitby to Scarborough?

I walked part of it about 10 years ago and remember the surface being quite rough - i.e. a sort of poor cinder track.

Has it improved since then and is it good enough to ride on a touring bike with 28mm tyres? By good enough I mean can I ride it without without being jarred to death.

P.H

Über Member
I rode it last year, not long after the June floods, large parts were washed away. That'd be bad enough but they seemed to be filling the holes with builders rubble including half bricks. I don't know if they've improved it over the last year, judging by some older damage I doubt it.
On a positive note, it is very scenic, if you take your time it'd be fine on a touring bike. Just watch your speed on some of the downhills, you don't know what it's like at the bottom.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's fine for a 28mm tyred touring bike. There has been a landslip onto the track bed. Ignore the signs that say that the route is closed and press on. It's possible to get your bike past the landslip - I did back in July.

It is a 'dirty' route in that there's lots of fine clinker/ash used for the surface which forms a dirty layer over everything when ridden in the wet.

It is a nice route though.

Top Bottom