White rose challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I disagree with comment the only way to get prepared for a ride is outdoors. Indoor training is perfect for building stamina and power. I would suggest you ride 3 days indoors spaced over the week starting with flat 30 min rides and build up to 1.5 hours with more hilly rides. When the weather is nice and dry, by all means go out and ride the roads to get familiar with road riding, dodging potholes, cars and learning to handle the bike.

Ive just come back from Tenerife riding every day. I trained to ride 280+miles with 30,000 ft of climbing. This was solely by riding indoors @ zone 2 training. Whatever level you're indoor training is much more productive than outdoors. Use both, but gradually build up the miles and time riding your bike.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Harrogate mate what about you

Bedale - you have quite a few hilly spots up there!

OP
OP
Ohthehills

Ohthehills

I disagree with comment the only way to get prepared for a ride is outdoors. Indoor training is perfect for building stamina and power. I would suggest you ride 3 days indoors spaced over the week starting with flat 30 min rides and build up to 1.5 hours with more hilly rides. When the weather is nice and dry, by all means go out and ride the roads to get familiar with road riding, dodging potholes, cars and learning to handle the bike.

Ive just come back from Tenerife riding every day. I trained to ride 280+miles with 30,000 ft of climbing. This was solely by riding indoors @ zone 2 training. Whatever level you're indoor training is much more productive than outdoors. Use both, but gradually build up the miles and time riding your bike.
Hi Andy
So zone 2 is 56 to 76 percent of ftp? What would you surgest on the time spent in saddle how should I increase the time add 5 mins on per week or more?
Thanks alan

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi Andy
So zone 2 is 56 to 76 percent of ftp? What would you surgest on the time spent in saddle how should I increase the time add 5 mins on per week or more?
Thanks alan

Can you currently ride 30mins flat course?

I would add 5 mins/week for a month, then in month 2 add 10 mins per week. Once you get to 2 months, you will be getting into the swing of it. Start adding more hilly courses and once a week, ride up short hills hard or find a HIT session with 1min interval to push hard. By the third month .you should be able to ride wellover an hour and various terrains, whilst pushing the pace up hills.

When you get to your event, you will be able to ride in zone 2 mainly saving energy for the hillier sections.

Part of training is also pedal technique/cadence. By training to ride at 90rpm or more, this will make the ride much less stressful on the legs. Initially though just get into a regular training routine and after a couple of months stsrt to increase the cadence. It took me a winter of training to raise my cadence from mid 70s rpm to 90-95rpm

OP
OP
Ohthehills

Ohthehills

Can you currently ride 30mins flat course?

I would add 5 mins/week for a month, then in month 2 add 10 mins per week. Once you get to 2 months, you will be getting into the swing of it. Start adding more hilly courses and once a week, ride up short hills hard or find a HIT session with 1min interval to push hard. By the third month .you should be able to ride wellover an hour and various terrains, whilst pushing the pace up hills.

When you get to your event, you will be able to ride in zone 2 mainly saving energy for the hillier sections.

Part of training is also pedal technique/cadence. By training to ride at 90rpm or more, this will make the ride much less stressful on the legs. Initially though just get into a regular training routine and after a couple of months stsrt to increase the cadence. It took me a winter of training to raise my cadence from mid 70s rpm to 90-95rpm

Yeah can do 30 mins of ryding.

on Saturday I did a 3rd of the course on bkool which took me 1 hour 26, my ftp was high and cadence low is 76 I think then did a 10 mile on Monday again ftp was high when I say hi I mean for me it was high! Gonna ride again tonight but legs do feel very tired so the zone 2 would feel better. Knowing this what time do you think it would be best to start at?
Thanks Alan

CXRAndy

Guru
Start with a 30 mins but try and hold 85rpm for 15mins, keep extending the time with higher cadence. Try pushing the cadence up steadily to 90+ over the weeks If you currently can ride for an 1hr 30, keep doing these, but for periods increase cadence within the ride. Initially it will be hard to maintain this, it will become easier. Dont forget that in the early weeks, you will feel quite tired as you build fitness. Ride day on day off to allow body recovery time. Eat good food, up your protein a little to help build muscle.

OP
OP
Ohthehills

Ohthehills

Start with a 30 mins but try and hold 85rpm for 15mins, keep extending the time with higher cadence. Try pushing the cadence up steadily to 90+ over the weeks If you currently can ride for an 1hr 30, keep doing these, but for periods increase cadence within the ride. Initially it will be hard to maintain this, it will become easier. Dont forget that in the early weeks, you will feel quite tired as you build fitness. Ride day on day off to allow body recovery time. Eat good food, up your protein a little to help build muscle.

Thanks for advise Andy I appreciate it will keep you posted on results, prob might ask a few more questions lmao

OnTheRopes

Regular
If you have the time to commit I would do the following:
Weeks 1-4 Ride 4 days a week 1 hour flatish rides at a pace you could still (just) hold a conversation.
Weeks 5 - 7 Push one of the rides to an hour and a half same pace.
Weeks 8 - 10 4 rides a week, two of one hour, one at hour and a half and one at 2 hours you can start to introduce a few hills now and work hard but dont kill yourself.
Weeks 11 - 14 4 rides a week, One at 3 hours, one at 2 hours and two at one hour

Best on the road but turbo if you need due to weather or dark nights.

Top Bottom