Who are cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Most riders herabouts are on MTBs, ironic considering we're in the fens butn with the state the roads are in probably not too much of a suprise.
I'm just happy to see people on two wheels, just wish I could persuade a few more of them to save some cash, seel their heavy old MTBs and get themselves a nice lightweight hybrid, they'd enjoy their cycling so much more.
Oh, and I wish BMXs, deserving of their place in the multitudinous pantheon of bicycles notwithstanding, would go out of fashion with kids so that you actually saw kids on the move, building muscle and getting fit rather than sat still yakking with the odd burst of movement to try a trick out as actually riding the things any distance requires the kinds of skills contortionists would kill to acquire :eek:
I have to disagree about the bmx riding kids. I know quite a few who put in the miles on theirs, and it amazes me how they do it. A guy I know recently did close to 50miles on his bmx, not something I'd like to attempt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots of folk as described. Most I see are usually on hybrids or road bikes. Most have some form of sports kit on, i.e. very few in just civvies, other than the odd kid, or 'builder type' in full building high viz. I see one chap who rides in his office gear, shoes/trousers and shirt. How he manages the 6 plus miles down the A34 into Manchester without being a sweatty mess I don't know - he's not particularly quick, nor is he slow. Rides every day, all weathers.

Sandra6

Veteran
We had a thread on here a while back about 'proper' cyclists. The consensus was that you were a proper cyclist if you had long hair and a beard, rode in Ron Hill tights, had mudguards with a flap, two panniers and cycled like you had somewhere to go.

Everybody else fitted into: 1) wannabe Bradley Wiggin, 2) a MAMIL or 3) the builder who couldn't afford a car.

:whistle:
Hmm, I may well not be a cyclist either then. 1, I don't know who Bradley Wiggin is (I will google him shortly) 2, I'm the wrong sex to be a mamil and until I lose another half a stone atleast I'm not squeezing my butt into any lycra thankyou very much! 3, I'm not a builder, although I can't afford a car , but then I can't drive one anyway. And I certainly don't have a beard!
Sometimes I even wear a dress when I cycle.

Surely it's just good to see people on bikes, whoever they may be and however they might dress?
Unless of course they are the 40 something year old guy who insists on riding a bmx down the pavement round here. He just needs to get a bus pass.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You don't have to be a cyclist of any description to know who Bradley Wiggins is at the present time. Even my wife knows about him. You really must keep up to date with current affairs.

Apparantly Bradley Wiggins is to be disqualified.

The reason given by the officials is..
tacks avoidance!

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Sometimes I really wish CC would provide a 'dislike' or 'get off' option.:thumbsup:

Or a cloakroom attendant to hand out coats when necessary...

I'll get my own.

GC

I consider myself very lucky if i time my commute right to witness the spectacle of the sixth form girls (and boys, but mostly girls) riding in a pack to college. Old roadsters, modern dutch bikes, 'fixies' and old racers, all chatting amogst themselves and empowered by their force of numbers. It's a sight to behold.

I have to disagree about the bmx riding kids. I know quite a few who put in the miles on theirs, and it amazes me how they do it. A guy I know recently did close to 50miles on his bmx, not something I'd like to attempt.

OK, I will modify my earlier sweeping statement (hr hmm):

Most riders herabouts are on MTBs, ironic considering we're in the fens butn with the state the roads are in probably not too much of a suprise.
I'm just happy to see people on two wheels, just wish I could persuade a few more of them to save some cash, seel their heavy old MTBs and get themselves a nice lightweight hybrid, they'd enjoy their cycling so much more.
Oh, and I wish BMXs, deserving of their place in the multitudinous pantheon of bicycles notwithstanding, would go out of fashion with kids so that you actually saw kids on the move, building muscle and getting fit rather than,as the majority of BMX-riding yoof I see on my travels, sat still yakking with the odd burst of movement to try a trick out as actually riding the things any distance requires the kinds of skills contortionists would kill to acquire :eek:

Browser will now go and flagellate himself as pennance for generalising :o) :thumbsup: ^_^

Top Bottom