Who cares about weight anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was pissed of with trying to lose the last few pounds and all my efforts at trying to cut back further on food ended up with me eating more and putting on weight; so I gave up and went back to doing as I pleased. I was working on the theory that even if I am not quite the weight the doctor's chart says I should be, I am still 3 1/2 stone lighter than I used to be and that was good enough for me.

I weighed myself at the weekend for the first time in at about six months and got a shock. I've lost just over a stone without really trying. I have upped my cycling mileage, but I tend to cycle at a lower intensity these days compared to really pushing myself hard when I was really trying to lose weight. (perhaps there is a lesson in this somewhere - if cycling purely to lose weight, cycle further, slower).

I thought my T-shirts had stretched in the wash :blush:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I'm 9kg down now and today I went running. I haven't been running since the end of last year when I was 9kg heavier.

I was astonished. Come back runs involve pain normally or I've become used to them involving pain. Today was like I'd already been running a few months. My pace was steady but quick and I felt I had more. No heavy breathing, HR quite acceptable for a first run. In fact I've been looking through my stats and this first run compares to two or three months in, the last time I ran.

I can't quite take it in. I mean, I know weight makes a difference but I must have gone past a tipping point. If ever I needed motivation to keep it off, this is it.

Glover Fan

I am fitter than I have ever been. I took my resting heart rate yesterday (yes I know it isn't a perfect measure of fitness) and it was at 45, mid morning. This I know is a direct result of my cycle commuting.

My weight, however, isn't perfect. Back in my uni days I used to compete at judo and my category when I started was -71kg. I must have been underweight! A few years later I moved up a weight to -78kg and I did much better at competitions. The weight categories changed and I changed with it to -81kg.

After I stopped competing my weight crept up and probably hit the heights of 87kg (I am 5ft 10in) so definitely overweight. However, now with the longer hillier commutes it is back down to about 83kg. I'd like to take a bit more off, 81kg would be nice.

If I think back to when I was -71kg and compare it to now, which was healthier? I am definitely healthier now, now question. Do I like my food. Oh yes. Does cycling mean I can enjoy it more. Yup! Do I beat myself up over a few kilos. Nope! :smile:
71kg is nowhere near underweight for 5'10". I'm 63kg at that height and I'm not underweight. When I was 84kg I was very noticeably overweight.

Cycling is great, my favourite sport, but the only exercise I've ever done that is 100% guaranteed of weight loss is running. The only people who dispute this haven't or don't run.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Can't run as my left knee can't take the impact, that's why I cycle... trousers getting a touch tight so it's time to stop eating the unnecessary sandwich when I first get in from work before tea... and now the birthday beer hoard is finished too!

Mozzy

Aside from cycling (can't run any more) I do pop in to the swimming baths and run widths. I cannot swim to save my life but water running is astonishing for weight loss and overall fitness. Do widths with water just up to chest and run/jog/make your way to the other side and back and so on. I guarantee you will be gasping for breath, and the following day you will ache. Two weeks twice a weeks for just one hour a time will see weight fall off you. Very gentle on joints as well. I have both types of Arthritis and that exercise is really kind. I'm still loosing so need to get some protein shake or similar.

Mozzy

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ha ha, I have a different problem. 6' 1" and for a long time I weighed around 15½ stones. About 18 months ago I started to commute by cycle as much as I could which was a 20 mile round trip maybe twice a week. At the same time I started to be a bit more thoughtfull about what I ate. I didn't restrict what I was eating but just gave more consideration to wether I was eating because I was hungry or just because food tastes so damn good!

I am now at 14 stone and seem to have reached a plateau but my wife is consantly nagging me because she says I look too skinny and almost gaunt :ohmy: (Before anyone says it, it's not that she is chubby and I am making her look bad).

I am dead chuffed to be were I am and love getting back into the 34" trousers again but would probably like to lose another ½-1 stone but not so much that I am going to increase my effort to acheive it which is probably a good thing for the state of my marriage.

Orange

I am fitter than I have ever been. I took my resting heart rate yesterday (yes I know it isn't a perfect measure of fitness) and it was at 45, mid morning. This I know is a direct result of my cycle commuting.

My weight, however, isn't perfect. Back in my uni days I used to compete at judo and my category when I started was -71kg. I must have been underweight! A few years later I moved up a weight to -78kg and I did much better at competitions. The weight categories changed and I changed with it to -81kg.

After I stopped competing my weight crept up and probably hit the heights of 87kg (I am 5ft 10in) so definitely overweight. However, now with the longer hillier commutes it is back down to about 83kg. I'd like to take a bit more off, 81kg would be nice.

If I think back to when I was -71kg and compare it to now, which was healthier? I am definitely healthier now, now question. Do I like my food. Oh yes. Does cycling mean I can enjoy it more. Yup! Do I beat myself up over a few kilos. Nope! :smile:
Good to see a fellow judoka on here. I didn't even start judo until I was 36 and 10 years later I still compete in the Masters events - but at under 60kg, I sometimes have to fight up a weight category as there are not too many of us lightweights out there. My weight has remained constant for over 20 years, whether I've exercised or not and at 5'7" many might think me underweight but I've never felt that and am happy mixing it with the 90kg guys on the judo mat.

Crankarm

Guru
71kg is nowhere near underweight for 5'10". I'm 63kg at that height and I'm not underweight. When I was 84kg I was very noticeably overweight.

Cycling is great, my favourite sport, but the only exercise I've ever done that is 100% guaranteed of weight loss is running. The only people who dispute this haven't or don't run.

I would tend to agree but cycling is not far off. It still boils down to doing more exercise what ever it is and eating more healthily and smaller portions.

Top Bottom