Who cares about weight anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyB1981

Am I bothered about weight.... well, my wife would probably say that I am, and thinks that I am obsessed with weighing myself. My take is a little different.

As I've said before, I've been into cycling for years and generally enjoy sports (without actually being very good at many!) However, my lifestyle wasnt great and my weight was pretty high. Last November, I had complications after a routine operation and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My mum (Aged 59) had been diagnosed only a few months before and to me it was a wakeup call. At about 104kg (5ft 9) I was pretty overweight, but was still reasonable active (although not compared to now!). I'm now down to 90kg and feeling much better for it. Obviously, other people have noticed and commented. A few times people have asked "what do you want to get down to?". I have no clue. Although I keep an eye on my weight and do use it as a stick to beat myself with, I tend to measure myself on other factors. Things like how healthy I actually feel, how fast I ride, what size clothes am I wearing.

One thing is for sure, this has to be a life change, and I feel that what I am doing is sustainable (although somewhat worried about what will happen to the exercise regime when baby number 2 arrives in January!).

Dave

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I have to report I've let you all down. I've ditched eight 1 litre cartons of apple juice. I'll probably pick them back up slowly over the next few months. Dropping them was the easy bit. Stopping myself picking them back up will be the hard bit.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Is there any point. I'm a bit overweight, not dramatically so. I still run, cycle, walk etc... If I try, I can lose a stone and a bit but then I put it back on when I stop trying. So I've stopped trying. So I'm a bit slower uphill, don't run as fast, don't cut the mustard in a pair of speedos but hey, those sausage taste good and this wine is nice as were those nibbles before, why worry? My new normal is, 'a bit overweight'. Give up the angst on weight. Far more important is to remain active and supple, that has far more impact on my daily life. True or not?

As I tell my buddy - if " it" works for you then enjoy it

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have to report I've let you all down. I've ditched eight 1 litre cartons of apple juice. I'll probably pick them back up slowly over the next few months. Dropping them was the easy bit. Stopping myself picking them back up will be the hard bit.

That's alright, I've regained the stone I'd lost!

Seigi

One of the reasons I ride so much is so that I can enjoy food, wine and beer :smile: I don't like being overweight, so I'm not. I get as much pleasure out of being able to be fitter than I ought to be at my age as I do out of the food.

Cycling goes well with food!

Similar for me, while I'm still losing weight and have lost a lot of weight, I'm not 'actively dieting' any more, I'm simply not overeating and cycling, I find it hard to justify eating something like a takeaway pizza and snacks in one night without cycling that same day, not sure if that sounds obsessive, but it keeps the weight from coming back.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
All I can say is that it's easier to keep the weight down if you are actively training (as opposed to just cycling a lot). Since I started taking triathlon more seriously, I not only lost weight, but I have kept it off. I still need to drop another couple of pounds before the start of the next season, but that will be relatively easy once I up the training volume. However, if I stop for any length of time, I have to be far more careful than normal about what I eat. The problem with training is that you have to keep it up!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My body seems to like being 13 stone, no matter what I do!

I was carrying quite a bit of fat around (probably about a stone), but then I started going weight training and I've stuck at 13 stone but converted a lot of fat to muscle.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I think shape is more the issue then weight.

I hear people congratulate each other on losing weight when what they really mean is 'You look slimmer'.
Muscles weigh more then fat does and so cyclists, and any active or sporting person, would lose size far more then they would lose weight.

Leilei

I'm also heavy for my height but it's fat not muscle so diet with excercise will have to be the answer.

D

Deleted member 1258

I noticed earlier this year that my climbing, which wasn't brilliant to start with, was getting worse, when I jumped on the scales I found I had drifted up to twelve stone. At that point I decided just eating what I liked and not worrying about it wasn't an option and I should do something about it. As a result I shed a stone earlier this year, the fly in the ointment has been being on holiday for the last fortnight, including five days away, and not doing a lot, I've put half a stone back on, I'm hoping that once I'm back at work and cycling five or six days a week I'll drop that half a stone.

bonj

I'm normally about 12 stone, and If i eat quite a lot of calorific food then I still stay the same weight.
but if I cut out all the calorific food, I don't lose weight. So I carry on eating what I like.
i don't really know why.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'm normally about 12 stone, and If i eat quite a lot of calorific food then I still stay the same weight.
but if I cut out all the calorific food, I don't lose weight. So I carry on eating what I like.
i don't really know why.

Lucky bugger

Top Bottom