Who do they think they're kidding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
actually weather forecasting is very accurate up to 48 hrs ahead, and still relatively accurate heading on for 5 days. Long term forget it.

Having said that if you Just say same again tomorrow you will be right 65% of the time.

Can't believe you said that seeing as where you live - I'm just down the road from you and the forecasting is laughably tom-tit.

We had cold or below average* by a fair bit Marches around here (Sheffield) in 1947, 1949, 1951, 1955, 1958, 1962, 1969, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1996, 2001 and 2006. The stand out years are 1996 and (and has been flagged up by a number of people that know what they are talking about) 1969. It's just in recent years we've had quite a few above average ones or like last year a scorchio (and unusually sunny too).

*The readily available weather stats are tmax and tmin the mean average daily maximum and minimum, not the same as the average temperature. However I think max/min is a decent measure for how humans perceive whether it's 'hot' or 'cold'.

None of us here then.

A cold March, who'd a thought it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I assume the OP and most responses are joking, because otherwise this one is really not going to reflect well on the Café. So far, it's making Linford look like the most smartest guy in the room. This is not a good thing... except for Linford of course. ^_^

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Huh, my monkeys flinging poo post has disappeared!!!

You know what really ticks me off....no not that you remove a post without any reference to the poster...it's that if you're going to do it then do it right....I now have a thread appearing on my 'watched thread' list that I have never watched and now has no trace of my involvement that created it as an addition to that list.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
This government bangs on about the obscenity of handing down the financial deficit to our children and grandchildren but it seems is completely ignoring the obscenity of handing down a planet ruined by our ignorance and inability to act when it is needed. Snow and minus temperatures for a week in March does not mean that global warming/climate change theory is some conspiracy to raise taxes, but then I guess people aren't really that stupid to think it is.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I assume the OP and most responses are joking, because otherwise this one is really not going to reflect well on the Café. So far, it's making Linford look like the most smartest guy in the room. This is not a good thing... except for Linford of course. ^_^

You're a bit provocative FM - you just might be the cause of the thread not reflecting well on The Cafe.

beastie

Guru
Can't believe you said that seeing as where you live - I'm just down the road from you and the forecasting is laughably tom-tit.
I use the weather forecasting in my phone, and the BBC and the BBC is normally very good.

phone says, tomorrow showers of sleet, rain snow, temp 2c and the staying cold but dry and brighter for rest of week.

Beeb says bout the same but little or no precipitation.

yes, us humans have had little impact on this planet, so why should our actions of destroying huge swathes of trees, burning fossil fuels, tarmacing everything and killing huge chunks of the animal population have any effect on the weather... clearly we are god's creatures and can do whatever we want, we have a god given right.

meanwhile... the gulf stream is screwed by the melt water from the arctic diluting the effect - not us guv.
the seas are warming as we pollute them - not us guv.
carbon dioxide is increasing as we deforest vast areas - not us guv

hopefully the humans will manage to wipe themselves out before they destroy every other life form on this planet.

Black Country Ste

If only the weather in our maritime climate respected the arbitrary boundaries of winter and spring...

I have no knowledgeable opinion on climate change and am not really in the mood to go out scaling Mount Stupid in this weather.

Top Bottom