Who Does The Best Weather Predictions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always find the BBC weather app quite reliable, along with YR.NO and weather&radar app
Yep I find the beeb good enough even after they changed the data supplier.
A techhead young person I know tried to convince me to use another one but can't remember its name.
Supposedly it was so accurate that if you allowed the app to know your location it would let you see the rain/hails of toads coming up the street towards you and tell you when it was raining on your head. I don't need this level of accuracy and reckon I'd know that anyway.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Oh..that's an easy one. Me.

I predict that every time I get on a bike it bloody well rains (snow is also available).

Never been wrong so far (or at least it feels that way)

buienradar.nl
It's a Dutch site, but also has a Europe tab.
Fantastically accurate for rain!
Windy is also a well respected app internationally.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Yep I find the beeb good enough even after they changed the data supplier.
A techhead young person I know tried to convince me to use another one but can't remember its name.
Supposedly it was so accurate that if you allowed the app to know your location it would let you see the rain/hails of toads coming up the street towards you and tell you when it was raining on your head. I don't need this level of accuracy and reckon I'd know that anyway.
I use the Beeb site as a rough guide but I like weather.com on my phone for the very accurate radar images which show me what is about to come next. I don't want to put on wet weather gear when it is six degrees unless it's going to hammer down in the next hour (otherwise, I end up hot and sweaty for no reason).

As it stands though, most of next week looks like a write off due to ice so I'll be looking at all of the weather sites over the next few days to see if anything changes.

Willd

Veteran
"PS I heard a debate on this on R4 Today and learned that on these sites the percentage prediction for rain refers to "in the hour leading upto...." NOT the percentage likelihood at that precise hour. "

Today the BBC said 79% and the Met Office <5%, it rained a bit, I guess they were both right :tongue:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
"PS I heard a debate on this on R4 Today and learned that on these sites the percentage prediction for rain refers to "in the hour leading upto...." NOT the percentage likelihood at that precise hour. "

Today the BBC said 79% and the Met Office <5%, it rained a bit, I guess they were both right :tongue:
On my commute home yesterday, the BBC site stated "100% rain" between 5pm and 6pm.

100% it did rain. For about the first five minutes of my ride with the remaining 55 minutes being pretty dry.

So yes, it 100% rained between 5pm and 6pm but it wasn't 100% raining between 5pm and 6pm.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I used to rely on the BBC but found the forecasts became unreliable after the change to another data supplier.

Currently using the Met Office app which I find excellent. It updates frequently which is great for last minute decisions.

I also listen to the birds in spring. Yes, seriously. If birds are putting effort in to their song there is a good chance it will be a decent day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BBC are far too pessimistic in general and get the times for rain wrong routinely.

Weatherquest are good as far as they go, as is openweathermap and apps using it.

XC seems OK and we are coastal. Ventusky is also good.

Top Bottom