Who does their shopping on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I do the odd small shop on the bike, more for the enjoyment and an excuse for a ride out than for necessity. I do the main shop in the car as I have a family and I work full time, ergo I can't get a week's shopping for 3 on a bike.

I use a rack and either one or two ARC panniers which will each take a carrier bag. See pic, on that trip I just had the one fitted.
French sticks remain a challenge.

20170113_145938.jpg

Leaway2

Lycrist
Car. Dare not leave the bike outside a shop.

I do have a "shopping bike" which I could afford to loose, but not using bike is limiting my choice because of other peoples action. I have a friend who wont drive anywhere, because she is afraid her car will be nicked. Not much use really if you cant drive it anywhere.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very very rarely use a rucksack, don't like carrying stuff on my back
I am fine with a rucksack when walking but it IS a bit of a pain cycling with a heavy bag of shopping on my back. Fortunately, it will only be for 1 km or so.

OH - I just remembered noticing 2 little rubber plugs down by the rear dropouts on the singlespeed bike which block off tapped holes for mudguards/rack fixtures! AND I happen to have an old rack in the cellar. AND I bought a couple of cheapo panniers from LIDL a few months ago, thinking that they would come in handy one day. I feel a rack and panniers moment coming on. Will report back later ... :okay:

The panniers probably wouldn't be strong enough for touring but if they last for a couple of years of shopping trips then they will have been worth buying. If they break in use, then at least I will only have a short walk home.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am fine with a rucksack when walking but it IS a bit of a pain cycling with a heavy bag of shopping on my back. Fortunately, it will only be for 1 km or so.
Yeah I just don't like having anything even slightly hard or heavy by the big scar on my lower back like the D lock, or tins etc (would never carry a pump or tools in a jersey for the same reason) and it's really bad for my shoulder too!

A KM is ok, but as I have three bikes with a rack there's no need :smile:

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Quite often I'll ride down to the local Coop and butcher to pick up a few things. I tend to use a messenger bag then (Osprey Flap Jack) which is far more convenient than panniers and can fit a small shop pretty well.

Less often I'll ride down to Whitehaven to do a proper shop, which uses 2 big rear panniers (and occasionally the fronts too). That one can be quite amusing as my ride home is along the C2C rail-path and I get to confuse the Coast-to-coasters who think I'm loaded up with touring luggage :biggrin:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I use a rear rack and pannier set (double bag) I also have the option of adding another bag on top if I have got enough stuff to put in it.

GOAB

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Main shopping is delivered, but I pick up short-dated meat & fish and market-stall fruit on my way back from my daily swim. Just emptied my rucksack of about 15 bananas, a dozen apples, half a dozen oranges, a 2kg beef roasting joint, two packs of fish pie fish and a pack of smoked haddock. Oh, and two aubergines. And yes, that is quite a lot to carry on my back, but it's actually no big deal once you get used to it.

I usually top up my supplies using rear panniers but for big shops I take the Freedomcarry Y frame with a recycling bin ( green box for bottles) strapped to the flatbed.
I have carried some unfeasably large loads including planks of wood.
Large, lightweight loads can be strapped to the top of the rear rack, so I always carry ,2-3m of lashing material.

I prefer 2 wheeled trailers for shopping, you can carry heavier loads and longer ones. They may be more stable when static, for loading. Single wheel trailers track better, esp off road so are good for touring

Reactions: mjr
We started shopping on the bikes last year;I have some panniers on the Trek mongrel and the other half has a trunk bag with fold out compartments on the Escape.

Ok with most things although as mentioned baguettes are a challenge;have been able to take advantage of the odd 6-bottle wine offers as well:whistle:.

Capacity will increase as we will be getting another set of panniers.

Top Bottom