Who does their shopping on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ok with most things although as mentioned baguettes are a challenge
Baguettes break in half fairly easily - they don't keep long enough to matter. Leeks are worse. They bend the pannier walls:
unusedexample.jpg

(bike is sideways across the road because I was illustrating the width of some local 2-way 30mph roads after they forbade us from contraflow cycling on a wider 20mph road nearby)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I do the weekly bread run by bike, and all the other shopping that doesn't fall into the weekly'big' shop. I have a Topeak bag/pannier on their MTX rack and can get 4 loaves of bread plus milk and cereals in one trip.
FWIW Sainsburys got the hump with me wheeling the Brompton round unfolded, against their unwritten policy apparently..

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
FWIW Sainsburys got the hump with me wheeling the Brompton round unfolded, against their unwritten policy apparently..
I do hope you then took it round in a trolley and commented to the jobsworth on how much more space it took up?

Leekguard. A hard plastic shell to protect your leeks. Mount it on your downtube.
The ones for bananas are NOT "banana hammocks" - they're actually for your downtube ;)

In hilly towns, do your booze and tin shopping at at shop higher up than your house.
Heavy loads are easier downhill than uphill.
But it may overload your brakes, so lighten the load at the top of the hill by drinking the booze. You'll still crash, but won't care so much. :crazy:

Baguettes break in half fairly easily - they don't keep long enough to matter. Leeks are worse. They bend the pannier walls:
View attachment 216181
(bike is sideways across the road because I was illustrating the width of some local 2-way 30mph roads after they forbade us from contraflow cycling on a wider 20mph road nearby)

Don't have to worry about Leeks as we grow our own:smile:

Reactions: mjr

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mostly on foot but I do also shop by bike, usually just picking up stuff on the way home from work which I stuff into my courier bag but also sometimes use panniers or one of my two trailers depending on size of shop. Have carried some pretty good loads from B&Q at times!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Panniers, top of rack (there always are some straps lurking in my panniers), occasionally I use the trailer, but that gets used mostly to take the cat to the vet.
Parked Trailer.jpg 20150910_133835.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
Ride home . Empty work gumpf from panniers . Ride to off licence ( craft beer shop if you are a hipster ) full panniers of bottled/ canned beer . Pay . Ride home

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Main shop is delivered, but I work near enough a market to pick up most extras there during the week.
I do occasionally call in at the local co-op on the way home after a ride, but to put it bluntly, I'm always a bit wary about leaving a bike outside a shop. And there is the hassle of taking everything off the bike (Garmin, lights, pump, etc) to stop it being taken while I'm in there. Plus it's literally a six minute walk there from home, so it's as easy to walk there. There is no way I'd leave a bike locked outside any of the big supermarkets round here, regardless.

Occasionally I'll throw caution to the wind though and cycle back from the co-op with a carrier bag over the right side handlebar ;)

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Pair of Ortliebs (and a strap-on stuff sack) on back of an already-heavy Gazelle for a weekly food shop for two. Alters how you shop, restricts the alcohol intake to high proof spirits and doesn't leave room for spur of the moment purchases. Good Saturday work-out.
Also have a Co-op 4 miles away along a Sustrans route - quite good for a late night dash on the road bike for Dinner From A Cycling Jersey Pocket. Look out for the recipe book....

Top Bottom