Who does their shopping on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
ah, what do you do then - only miscalculated once - had to return something big for a refund.
Depends what it is. A pizza can go up the jumper, for example. Sleeves are also handy for a couple of items... and one can always eat something :okay:

I quite like the idea of putting a basket on the front of my MTB but i don't think I'm cool enough to carry it off. :blush:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Sometimes I might go and get a pint of milk on this.

Kingpin & Milk.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great minds think alike mjr - I also take a small collapsing rucksack in case I miscalculate.
When I am walking to the shops, I usually carry a cloth bag in my rucksack in case there is too much shopping for the rucksack. Unfortunately, I usually forget to take the bag out of the rucksack before starting to load the latter. On several occasions I have had to unload the rucksack again to get at it. My other trick is to carry my wallet in the rucksack and then have the same problem with that. The stupid thing is that I could easily carry the wallet and cloth bag in the pockets of my fleece jacket ... :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The stupid thing is that I could easily carry the wallet and cloth bag in the pockets of my fleece jacket
My fleece jacket already weighs a flipping ton because I have far too many keys and some drugs, food and handwarmers in the pockets. So the rucksack and cloth bag (used to stop stuff in the basket rattling too much) are with the bike pump, spare tube and emergency tools in my haversack. I'm sure something else is in there too but I can't remember what right now!

Occasional many trips to Local Butcher and just drop it into the Camelbak Rucksack with no bladder to reduce weight.

Used to get a weekly shop on my old Ribble with Rack and pair of panniers......must get into the habit of top up shops with a Rucksack when the weather improves.

On the subject of shopping by bike, I reckon I've saved the price of my bikes several times over - the Brommie and the oldest Ridgeback have definitely paid for themselves. Many non cyclists also don't understand that it is also a bike ride - I do a fair bit of shopping at Aldi - have a few close to me - out of three I go to the furthest one - nicest green route and a bit of climbing :smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
ah, what do you do then - only miscalculated once - had to return something big for a refund.

I've unpackaged a few items before to make them fit, put a pie in my pocket once - that's not reccomended! - and if all else fails, I sling a carrier bag over the handlebars and hope I only need to turn right!

creative suggestions for additional space welcomed. Suppose I could also take an ortlieb dry bag and a bungee but I prefer to keep things simple.

KneesUp

Guru
Sometimes I might go and get a pint of milk on this.

View attachment 334680
I used to do the same on my mum's Raleigh version - I'd get sent to the shop for whatever thing was missing but needed for tea. Of course in those days there was an independent greengrocer, a newsagent apost office and a little Spar on a small run of shops 5 minutes bike ride away from our house so it was fine to send a 10 year old off on the road to go shopping. All of those shops are gone now because there is a Tesco 5 minutes by car away. This makes me feel very old, and quite sad. I used to enjoy the responsibility of getting those few 'bits' from the 'top shops' and it's something I fear my own child will never expereience.

KneesUp

Guru
I used to do the same on my mum's Raleigh version - I'd get sent to the shop for whatever thing was missing but needed for tea. Of course in those days there was an independent greengrocer, a newsagent apost office and a little Spar on a small run of shops 5 minutes bike ride away from our house so it was fine to send a 10 year old off on the road to go shopping. All of those shops are gone now because there is a Tesco 5 minutes by car away. This makes me feel very old, and quite sad. I used to enjoy the responsibility of getting those few 'bits' from the 'top shops' and it's something I fear my own child will never expereience.
I should add as an addendum to this that ironcally I am sat here messing about on the internet becauase I'm psyching myself up to go out to Tesco to get the 'few bits' we need for the morning (it's cold out there) - things I realised we needed when I was making tea. If this was the 80s I could have sent our kid out to get some yoghurt and cheese and I wouldn't have to bother now :smile: Thanks, society!

classic33

Leg End Member
I should add as an addendum to this that ironcally I am sat here messing about on the internet becauase I'm psyching myself up to go out to Tesco to get the 'few bits' we need for the morning (it's cold out there) - things I realised we needed when I was making tea. If this was the 80s I could have sent our kid out to get some yoghurt and cheese and I wouldn't have to bother now :smile: Thanks, society!
You'd have been on yer bike if it were the '80's!
creative suggestions for additional space welcomed. Suppose I could also take an ortlieb dry bag and a bungee but I prefer to keep things simple.
See if you can borrow a basket, placing it on the rear carrier.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This afternoon was a perfect example of post-main-ride shopping by bike.

I had been out on my bike in disappointing conditions and got cold and wet. I was looking forward to a hot shower but I remembered that I needed to go shopping. I knew that once I'd had that shower then I would be extremely reluctant to go back out in the cold and wet again later.

So ... I dashed home on the bike, chucked my bike bag into the house, picked up my rucksack and lock, and set off for the supermarket. 20 minutes later I was home again, shopping unpacked, and getting out of my soggy cycling kit.

Top Bottom