Who else uses flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

Finally made the leap to clip-on spd-sl's wouldn't go back to flats now, rides of 50+ miles feel so much more comfortable.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm puzzled by the difficulty some people have releasing from clipless pedals. I use single release cleats the lowest tension. They're secure enough for fixed (and I can assure you that climbing on fixed you do pull up on the pedals), and yet, coming to a halt, I can put my foot down without even having to think about it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I'm puzzled by the difficulty some people have releasing from clipless pedals. I use single release cleats the lowest tension. They're secure enough for fixed (and I can assure you that climbing on fixed you do pull up on the pedals), and yet, coming to a halt, I can put my foot down without even having to think about it.

its very simple. it's more natural to release the foot in the 6 o'clock position, but to balance the bike, it's more natural to put the foot down that's in the 12 o'clock position. therefore, people release the wrong foot, and then try to put the foot down that's still attached to the pedal.

that did not happen to me 3 times before i sussed it. :shy:

Nebulous

Guru
I use both. Roadbike for training/leisure/competing with spd-sls. I had approaching double figures of clipless moments before I mastered them, I'm not proud to say. Mostly slow or no speed topples. Touring bike commuting / work use and when roadbike is awaiting parts for repair. Flats that came as standard. I've argued before that there isn't a great deal of difference. I've achieved some decent strava times on both bikes, despite tourer being about 5 kgs heavier, more if you count the panniers.

However I've been fed up of the weather and have been going to the gym and using a wattbike. For the first time ever I'm able to measure my output accurately. I started with my trainers that I use with my flats and used toeclips on the wattbike. I then found you can remove the plastic platform that comes with the bike and clip-in so started taking my road shoes. It has made 8-10 watts of difference for me, in favour of being clipped on. Not a great deal, but enough to convince me that being clipped in is worth it.

Top Bottom