who goes to church on christmas day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I embraced atheism wholeheartedly at the age of 20, having wavered for many years. I'd still like to go to a midnight mass, though, cos they make you feel all warm and glowy. However Mrs F just tells me not to be stupid. :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
I married a christian as well so now have to go to advent carol services too, the main ones in London like Westminster Cathedral and St. Pauls tend to be pretty good as a musical performance in their own right, all in Latin etc.

JamesAC

I'm a Lapsed Baptist, and my wife's a Lapsed Atheist :rolleyes:; but we do go to church for the High days and Holy days. In particular, we like to go to Cathedrals for Advent, Easter and so on. We particularly like Southwark Cathedral in London, but we've "done" Lincoln and ELy a few times.

And tonight, we'll be joining a group of local Christians who are singing carols in the high street.

Bring it on! We love it.

James

ChrisKH

Guru
I will be there Christmas Eve at Mass. My son is meant to be Joseph in the nativity (hot competition and getting another Mum to share the role over the festive period with her son as previously agreed is proving difficult, would you believe) so I think I should. I have to be there the rest of the year too.

My son took his first confession last week, not that he had much to confess. I think my wife was more worried than he was, as she had to go too and hasn't been for a few years. Many catholics rely on the general confession during the order of Mass and don't bother with the specific confession. Unless they've murdered anyone that week.:rolleyes:

My wife spent most of her childhood Christmas's in Luxembourg and so is used to celebrating on the Eve (Mass, tripe, presents, bed at 2.00 am) but we revert to the day when in the UK.

striker

I go.
In fact I go every week.
Main reason I'm not a member of a CC. as most runs seem to be on Sunday mornings.

ChrisKH

Guru
striker said:
I go.
In fact I go every week.
Main reason I'm not a member of a CC. as most runs seem to be on Sunday mornings.

Ah, convert to catholicism. Then you can go Saturday evening at 6pm and still get to go out Saturday night and do the club run on Sunday. You know it makes sense. :rolleyes:

i used to go until i realised it cut into my mince-pie-eating, tea-drinking, present-unwrapping, roast-dinner-scoffing time.

then i stopped. and i've never felt so spiritually fulfilled!

striker

ChrisKH said:
Ah, convert to catholicism. Then you can go Saturday evening at 6pm and still get to go out Saturday night and do the club run on Sunday. You know it makes sense. :rolleyes:

I have a few issues with the RC church!

transsubstantiation, papal infallability, purgortory, confessions, etc.

Bug

I'll be there on Christmas Day. This will be the first time that I don't make it to Midnight Communion, however, as my son will be 9 months old on Christmas Eve and will be happily tucked up in bed!

ChrisKH

Guru
striker said:
I have a few issues with the RC church!

transsubstantiation, papal infallability, purgortory, confessions, etc.

Confession time: I'm not actually catholic. I just sleep with one.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom