who goes to church on christmas day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think my sister and b-i-l go to the Midnight Mass in the cathedral, and she didi mention doing it again this year, which will the first time I've been in a church service for a pretty long time. I can't say it's something I'd opt to do for myself, just like I wouldn't see the point of getting married in church when I don't go normally, but on the other hand, I do like carols and stuff, just as part of the whole seasonal feeling....

ChrisKH said:
Confession time: I'm not actually catholic. I just sleep with one.:blush:

Just don't let your wife find out. ;)

Blue

Legendary Member
NickM said:
Ah, but it's for your own spiritual good :biggrin:

I can't accept that attending a church, per se, does anything for ones spiritual good.

My parents were devout christians and, as a child, I participated in family prayers every day. I was also taken or sent to every single service held in the church. I was in the church choir and an altar boy. Given the background you will appreciate that I had much contact with regular church-goers and I have to say many of those self same people are the most narrow minded, mean spirited and unspiritual people I have come across in my lifes journey.

When old enough to make my own decisions I rejected all religion - and think my attitude and the way I live my life is more 'christian' that many church-goers. (not that I plead perfection - I admit all my faults)

striker

Blue said:
I can't accept that attending a church, per se, does anything for ones spiritual good.

My parents were devout christians and, as a child, I participated in family prayers every day. I was also taken or sent to every single service held in the church. I was in the church choir and an altar boy. Given the background you will appreciate that I had much contact with regular church-goers and I have to say many of those self same people are the most narrow minded, mean spirited and unspiritual people I have come across in my lifes journey.

When old enough to make my own decisions I rejected all religion - and think my attitude and the way I live my life is more 'christian' that many church-goers. (not that I plead perfection - I admit all my faults)

quite right. but would you say that the way you 'live your life' is guided by the principles you learnt at church during your upbringing?

Do you think that the decline in behaviour could be as a result of fewer people having the same upbringing as you?

yes there are lots and lots of hypocrites in churches up and down the country but I believe that it (church attendance) has (in general) been a positive social influence.

Then there is the bigger (more important) issue of salvation and eternal life to consider.

You are right about the hypocrites then as well because there will be many people querying why God rejects them come judgement day.

Blue

Legendary Member
striker said:
quite right. but would you say that the way you 'live your life' is guided by the principles you learnt at church during your upbringing?

Do you think that the decline in behaviour could be as a result of fewer people having the same upbringing as you?

I think that the way I behave owes most to my mothers positive parental influence followed by a desire to behave differently to my father. The input of my school was also important on both a practical and spiritual level.

The last time I attended a church service, other than the funerals of my parents, I heckled the priest and left at the end of his sermon. Believe it or not (it is true), the contents of his sermon compelled me to rise to my feet and remind the man that he was preaching in what was supposed to be the house of god. No, I don't think the church had any input into the way I behave.

I go. Atheist Jew that I am. I'm sorry, but I just love those carols and all that stuff about sweet baby Jesus. It's camp, but terribly well meant. I've even been known to pop into evensong, because the hymns are so upright and pom-ti-ti-pom-pom tastic

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Certainly not. Too busy in the pub.

Too right. And me.

And I also think it's slighty hypocritical of people who drink the rest of the year, and *do not* go to their local on Christmas day.

It's a bit like saying that there's no room in the manger.. but in reverse

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Too right. And me.

And I also think it's slighty hypocritical of people who drink the rest of the year, and *do not* go to their local on Christmas day.

It's a bit like saying that there's no room in the manger.. but in reverse

I once wandered into the midnight mass on christmas eve with my bro, both pissed, found a place to stand in the crowd, stood for about 3 seconds in the middle of a hymn, then muttered (audibly, to the people immediately close) "nah, this is shoot" and buggered off again.

Jaded

bonj said:
I once wandered into the midnight mass on christmas eve with my bro, both pissed, found a place to stand in the crowd, stood for about 3 seconds in the middle of a hymn, then muttered (audibly, to the people immediately close) "nah, this is shoot" and buggered off again.

That showed 'em! They are probably still talking about it now, and stand nervously watching the door in case you return!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I love churches, the architecture, the music (spem in alium, carols etc) but I wouldn't go to a service. I started an Atheist Society at school when I was 16 which didn't go down too well with the teachers.

I like wandering round graveyards too. I went to the one in Eyam, the plague village, recently. Very moving.

Top Bottom