Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Once

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • A few times

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Too many times :(

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've come off my bike a few times. Been to A&E twice, NHS walk-in once, ruined merino tights once. At least 2 times in 2014 (including a memorable day in December when @vickster and I both came off in separate incidents), and 2 again 2015. Maybe none last year, and none so far this year. So let's say once every 5000km (to pluck a number out of the air). It's probably higher than that, though.

It did not occur to me that was a lot, just one of the hazards of being alive; if you ride a bike, you fall off it occasionally. It turns out @jonny jeez has only come off once in 10 years, so he thinks offs are extremely rare.

So then, data: is coming off a rare event for you or not? Clipless, pothole, mechanical, collision, black ice, gravel, etc. Restrict the poll to cycling on the roads or paths, not doing technical downhills on a MTB or cyclocross racing or anywhere else that coming off would be expected. Feel free to share those in replies below, if you want to.

Drago

Legendary Member
Had some minor tumbles off road, but nothing noteworthy. Haven't have a proper off since I was a kid attempting the land speed record on a Chopper. I'm sure it was transonic buffeting that spat me off and broke my leg, and not a tank slapper.

A few times. Most benign but one fractured skull and a few losses of dignity, particularly banging into the gate that normally opened but this time didn't and then executing a slow sideways topple next to a bus stop full of people.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I have ticked too many times as I have had lots of offs mostly minor ones off road, but the road ones are the worst, I would say 2 major and 1 minor but all resulting in skin missing clothing damaged, one with broken bones, the thing is you forget them then another one comes along to dent your confidence, but I think any off is one too many.

But you didn't scratch your iphone, right?
For some unknown reason I didn't put my phone in my saddle bag but in my pocket as it was a shortish ride. Fell on that side and trashed my phone. Had to flag down a car and the first one stopped, put my bike in the back and drove me back to the hotel I was staying at. Having bits of the my plastic glasses pulled out of my eyebrow was less traumatic than digging out my old Nokia for a week until I replaced my iPhone.

Now it lives safely in my saddle bag or on my quadlock if I'm using twatnav.

But thanks for asking.......

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In 2010 I had the following conscious thought... I haven't fallen off my bike since 1985!

Sod's Law quickly kicked in and i came off three times in as many weeks... but nothing more serious than a cut knee, sore shoulder or bruised ribs. I think I've injured myself more by walking into things.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On the road - twice in the last year, neither involving cars. Once was ice and the other was an unexpected and slippery ford. Generally I am pretty good at staying upright.

MTB is a different matter, I get quite disappointed if I stay on the bike for the whole ride.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I fell off three times last year, which is definitely too many. Before that it was several years since my previous fall. I'd say last year was a statistical anomaly - overall, I think I fall off a pretty average number of times. Only one of the falls last year was directly my fault - daydreaming and didn't realise how close I was to the verge... landed flat on my back on the grass. More embarrassing than painful.

I've never been knocked off by a car but I have been deliberately pushed off by a pillock leaning out of a car window.

Lonestar

Veteran
Off last December when my pedal broke off up Stratford High Street.

Testing my SPD new shoes and clips on the Brompton I also came off at 0mph right outside my front door.Mid 2016.

The Lights between Bow and Stratford at 0mph again when my foot slipped on the pavement on the return commute in January 2016.

Between 2009+2013 (5 years) none and then five different ones in three years 2014/2015 and 2016....2 at 0mph and another one very slowly when waiting for a pedestrian to cross who wasn't looking. front wheel slipped...Hit a moped at Aldgate in 2014 at low speed 8mph roughly....Both Brakes failed in the wet and perhaps oil on the rims had little time to do anything about it and nowhere to go...New pained front rim unworn and the cheap brake blocks that were ditched soon after...In the wet brakes non responsive (on the night of Bob Crows last tube strike) had to aim to miss his rear wheel which I did but still fell off...He suddenly buggered off when I asked him why he stopped in traffic for no reason but it was my fault.Amazingly in the gap I fell off and managed to not hit the car to my right or parked on my left.Believe moped rider was looking for a turning...hence why he stopped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom