Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Once

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • A few times

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Too many times :(

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I once skidded on black ice at very low speed and found myself on the floor. Picked myself up quickly, more embarrassed really.

Second time was really embarrassing. As I...ahem...got my leg over (no sniggering at the back), it wasn't high enough so when I tried to plonk myself down in the saddle, my shorts caught on it, I overbalanced and....ouch:laugh:. I hadn't even gone 2ft. Falling off a bike while practically stationary.......:blush:.
lol I'm really good at falling off while practically stationary.
Did it outside my neighbour's after stopping for a chat: wheel caught in a defect on the edge of the pavement; I overbalanced and hit ground hard. My leg was covered in blood, but I still rode 30 miles (couldn't move the next day for bruises and scrapes :smile:).
Came off three times in one ride once too: lost my balance at the top of my road, got a mile away and my chain slipped at a junction - off again! Thought "blow this I'm going home" and chain slipped again half way up a hill on the way back. An old lady stopped to ask if I was okay - I think she thought my giggling was tears - and I just said " yes thanks, I've done it before".
Needed a new derailleur hanger and a few plasters for my pride!
Ah, the joys of clipless!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
lol I'm really good at falling off while practically stationary.
Did it outside my neighbour's after stopping for a chat: wheel caught in a defect on the edge of the pavement; I overbalanced and hit ground hard. My leg was covered in blood, but I still rode 30 miles (couldn't move the next day for bruises and scrapes :smile:).
Came off three times in one ride once too: lost my balance at the top of my road, got a mile away and my chain slipped at a junction - off again! Thought "blow this I'm going home" and chain slipped again half way up a hill on the way back. An old lady stopped to ask if I was okay - I think she thought my giggling was tears - and I just said " yes thanks, I've done it before".
Needed a new derailleur hanger and a few plasters for my pride!
Ah, the joys of clipless!
Ah if it's 'Clipless' falls at a standstill I've done that outside my house.............................Did I mention I live opposite a pub that has benches outside the front for smokers. :ohmy:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Whenever my mum and I go cycling there is always drama! We usually end up with some issue. Once we were cycling through Hythe along the canal and there was a little festival thing going on, She stopped and I stopped behind. I wobbled off my back which knocked her off and her bike too - very funny really! In front of lots of people!

My favourite was I was cycling pretty fast with mum again and I spotted something in the hedge, so I kept cycling and then I quite literally veered off the country lane into a massive prickly ditch. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

McBrian

A wee update:

Well the plate went in on 5th January without any problems, surgeon made a nice job, all internal stiching so I now have a very nice strraight line scar to show off :-) The problems came 3 weeks after the op when I discarded the sling , I had only been doing swinging excercises to prevent a frozen shoulder so on the day the physio took the sling off and asked me to raise my arm I about cryed - I had no lifting power and severely restricted movement, nothing past 45 degrees :-(

I was diagnosed with a fairly rare nerve condition - Brachial Neuritis (Parsonage-Turner Syndrome) which could take anything up to 2 years to heal, however I started to recover very quickly and now have most of my movement back and the power is also strating to increase - enough to maybe let me get back on the bike very soon.

I never new a broken collar bone could be so - debilitaing and potential life changing - only when it happens to you do you realise how serious an injury it can be, 8 nerves that control all your arm movements and strength and a main artery all in two wee corners of your body.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Touch wood, I haven't fallen off a bicycle for about 45 years.
Motorcycles are a different matter. Fell off several times in my racing career - fastest at over 100 mph.

lazyfatgit

Had a bike on and off for over 40yrs. Commuted in a couple of spells, mid 80s, late 90s, couple of months in 2009. Offs would be in double figures on the road. Only a couple have required medical attention. I consider myself lucky not to have had more serious injuries (especially where motor vehicles were involved)

Worst memory is from pedal strike on a kerb at +30mph. I flew/skidded a long way. Bike (steel) needed cold setting to straighten the rear triangle. That one left scars. Trashed my best shorts too :cry:

Top Bottom