1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has never had an "off"?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by jefmcg, 3 May 2017.

1. Never

14 vote(s)
  2. Once

31 vote(s)
  3. A few times

132 vote(s)
  4. Too many times :(

40 vote(s)
  1. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Well-Known Member

Ohio, USA
    Driving a car is also dangerous, more people are killed or seriously injured in motor vehicles each year than on bikes. Sure, there are far more motor vehicles on the road, but why add to the pool and become a statistic? :okay:

Glad you are ok, though! My brother had a bad off a year or so back when if I recall someone doored him and I do worry about him, but that is kinda my job. I would never suggest he give up biking just because of an accident, and it has made him a more careful traveller.
    mjr likes this.
  2. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Not recently. Chance would be a fine thing what with the kids and...

Oh. "An off"? Plenty of those sadly. Almost all of them due to chain drops, slips, and things jamming and ceasing suddenly. Vive la Fixie.
    JhnBssll likes this.
  3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

But how would you answer the obvious response that you won't die any sooner from inactivity if you drive to the gym?

To me, there's the concern that doing so poisons the air for the children, so is extremely selfish, but is that widely accepted and are there more direct reasons to use instead?

(edited to fix punctuation)
    Last edited: 7 Mar 2018
    JhnBssll and PBB like this.
  4. My wife considers cycling to be only marginally less dangerous than base jumping, cave diving and alligator wrestling all rolled into one. She doesn't press the point, but it comes out occasionally. Like when I said I was going to stop cycle commuting into London (because I don't like it, and prefer doing sudokus on the train) she expressed massive relief.

I'm assiduous about sending regular "all OK" text messages. I also use Glympse live tracker on my all day solo rides, and leave a route printout.
    JhnBssll likes this.
  5. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

My wife doesnt give a feck,she allways says shes glad to get me out the house !
    Reiver, JhnBssll, raleighnut and 2 others like this.
  6. captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701 Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

I once skidded on black ice at very low speed and found myself on the floor. Picked myself up quickly, more embarrassed really.

Second time was really embarrassing. As I...ahem...got my leg over (no sniggering at the back), it wasn't high enough so when I tried to plonk myself down in the saddle, my shorts caught on it, I overbalanced and....ouch:laugh:. I hadn't even gone 2ft. Falling off a bike while practically stationary.......:blush:.
  7. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Über Member

lol I'm really good at falling off while practically stationary.
    Did it outside my neighbour's after stopping for a chat: wheel caught in a defect on the edge of the pavement; I overbalanced and hit ground hard. My leg was covered in blood, but I still rode 30 miles (couldn't move the next day for bruises and scrapes :smile:).
    Came off three times in one ride once too: lost my balance at the top of my road, got a mile away and my chain slipped at a junction - off again! Thought "blow this I'm going home" and chain slipped again half way up a hill on the way back. An old lady stopped to ask if I was okay - I think she thought my giggling was tears - and I just said " yes thanks, I've done it before".
    Needed a new derailleur hanger and a few plasters for my pride!
    Ah, the joys of clipless!
    raleighnut and JhnBssll like this.
  8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

On 3 Wheels
    Ah if it's 'Clipless' falls at a standstill I've done that outside my house.............................Did I mention I live opposite a pub that has benches outside the front for smokers. :ohmy:
  9. Charlotte Alice Button

Charlotte Alice Button Über Member

Ashford, Kent
    Whenever my mum and I go cycling there is always drama! We usually end up with some issue. Once we were cycling through Hythe along the canal and there was a little festival thing going on, She stopped and I stopped behind. I wobbled off my back which knocked her off and her bike too - very funny really! In front of lots of people!

My favourite was I was cycling pretty fast with mum again and I spotted something in the hedge, so I kept cycling and then I quite literally veered off the country lane into a massive prickly ditch. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    mikeymustard and Alan O like this.