Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Once

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • A few times

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Too many times :(

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McBrian

I've had a broken collarbone for the past 11yrs (Non-union fracture) the Consultant said it was a bit too close to the end to plate and would leave it dangerously weak if I fell on it again (mind you it was the 4th time I'd broken this one)
It depends where the break is as to whether surgery is the best option.

This is the x-ray at 7 weeks, the 13 week one is near identical:
CollarBpne.jpg

unfortunately I've not managed to get a copy of the original x-ray on the night of the off as that one shows a pretty clean and close break., for some reason its shown to me and very quickly closed!
 CollarBpne.jpg

McBrian

One of my other offs is pretty funny though, I stopped at the top of Langside above Kennoway to take a photo of the Lomonds swaithed in a lovely mist, I put my foot down on what I thought was the verge only to find that it was weed growth covering a drainage ditch:cursing: I ended up upside down with the bike on top of me but all in one piece thankfully, when I eventually managed to disentangle the bike and stand up I realised the ditch was over 7ft deep (I'm only 5' 11"), lucky again as it was dry but still took ages to climb out and rescue the bike as well :wacko:

Adam4868

Guru
First one in a couple of years 5 days ago ! It's cost me 5 days off bike so far.Mostly just road rash,but my knee is taking longer to heal.Message to self,don't ride when icy !

clid61

Veteran
not recentley but went under the knife 5 years ago. due to a clumsy car driver ! my shoulder ribsand collar bone still hurt now and again , but hey ho !

Julia9054

Guru
i got told i was having a plate and anchor , what went wrong ?
The plate and anchor?
Think i had a pint there once

Reactions: GM
i got told i was having a plate and anchor , what went wrong ?
Not sure what your question is. If it was about the specific surgery, then I don't remember exactly what they were going to do. I was using "pin" as a place holder for whatever bits of metal they intended to put in me.

What I do remember was being told the surgery would be long (2-4 hours? I can't remember), involve incision at the hip to get live bone, a lot stripping of muscle, tons of possible side effects, months of recovery etc etc. "Do you take the pins out?" "Only if they get infected" <shudder>

I asked why do the surgery at all, and he replied "to reduce pain and discomfort". But I wasn't suffering any pain and little discomfort and I had talked to a private surgeon who said that in my case, he'd leave it alone. I checked, and I can have the surgery in the future, and it will be the same procedure whenever. The bone ends are already fused.

This doesn't apply to everyone, and the surgeon who told me not to get the operation operates on clavicles every day, just not breaks like mine. For the record, mine was a nice clean snap, mid clavicle. Text book. About as nice as a broken clavicle can be except for it not healing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure what your question is. If it was about the specific surgery, then I don't remember exactly what they were going to do. I was using "pin" as a place holder for whatever bits of metal they intended to put in me.

What I do remember was being told the surgery would be long (2-4 hours? I can't remember), involve incision at the hip to get live bone, a lot stripping of muscle, tons of possible side effects, months of recovery etc etc. "Do you take the pins out?" "Only if they get infected" <shudder>

I asked why do the surgery at all, and he replied "to reduce pain and discomfort". But I wasn't suffering any pain and little discomfort and I had talked to a private surgeon who said that in my case, he'd leave it alone. I checked, and I can have the surgery in the future, and it will be the same procedure whenever. The bone ends are already fused.

This doesn't apply to everyone, and the surgeon who told me not to get the operation operates on clavicles every day, just not breaks like mine. For the record, mine was a nice clean snap, mid clavicle. Text book. About as nice as a broken clavicle can be except for it not healing.
Similar scenario here except I snapped the far end off, the surgeon told me he could 'pin' it but the next time I fell on that shoulder it could be disastrous and as he put it "You're still going to be riding that bloody Bicycle aren't you" (3rd time I'd broken my left collarbone)

tyreon

Gee...read some o the above. I'm now the cyclist who wears the white feather in his hat,and on other days has the yellow strip up his back. You don't bounce too well when you're over 60.
I think I was one of the first cyclists in the UK to wear a cycle helmet having returned from abroad where it had become somewhat 'normalised'. At this time I used to get shouted at with abuse 'You look like a bleedin alien,mate'. Almost threatened!! Came round a roundabout at speed to have the wheels go from under me,head onto roads tarmac...Without the helmet,well,dunno what would be....
Fast forward non commuting-to-work thru major roads,abandoned helmet and really haven't worn one since.
Having said the above,I go at a sedate speed and try to be wary. I also don't travel in groups and am not a road-man. At local caf where I go for tea some late aged riders(70+)hammer thru the country lanes at 20mph or more in groups. Always having spills.sometime pretty serious and in intensive care. Gee...that's too scary for me. Madness.
Had a few other tumbles,but try not to go crackers(speedwise)

Top Bottom