Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Once

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • A few times

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Too many times :(

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Less than once every 5 years with daily riding and about 13,000 miles a year on the bike. None of them serious just flesh wounds and mostly related to black ice and crap others have left on the road. So yes, pretty rare I come off.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Does this need any treatment or best just left exposed to fresh air?

IMG_20170828_154645.jpg

KneesUp

Guru

View attachment 370386
I'd be tempted to get a sterile gauze pad taped on with some Savlon or similar on the wound until tomorrow and see how it is then. As a bonus it won't stick to the bed when you are asleep.

This doesn't constitute medical advice - but it's what my mum would have done, and she was a nurse for 40 years.

View attachment 370386
Oh.

You did a good job cleaning it up. Bet that hurt.

If you have a NHS walkin centre near by http://www.tamesideandglossopccg.org/local-services/primary-care-centres (and a good book to take), it might be worth going down to have it properly dressed. Or if that's not an option, pop into a chemist and get an opinion from the pharmacist. Otherwise my (non-medically trained) opinion agrees with @KneesUp

If the surrounding skin starts to redden or it becomes warm to the touch, then get you to a doc/walk in centre of antibiotics.

GWS. And sorry you have joined the ranks of the walking wounded.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go get a hydrocolloid dressing on it at GP tomorrow, gets all the grit out, helps it heal much better and minimise scarring

Don't use antiseptic cream unless advised

steverob

Guru
Only one off that was serious enough to require attention at A&E for a broken collarbone (and that was just four months ago) but a fair few minor offs over the years, with the outcome ranging anywhere from just a bruised ego and embarrassment (especially the time when I skidded on black ice, following the path of someone who I'd watched go down on exactly the same patch just 5 seconds before me - luckily I was only doing about 5mph at the time!) to minor cuts and scrapes at worst.

In fact, now I come to think of it, both of my two biggest offs (this year's one mentioned above and one about 20 years ago in a Tesco's car park) involved me going over the handlebars and both happened just a week before I was scheduled to travel to New York. Maybe someone's trying to warn me about travelling to that city? Still went both times though, so clearly it didn't work!

Julia9054

Guru

View attachment 370386
Ouch! You might wanna wear a skirt for a couple of days.
On the plus side, you'll have some great scabs to pick

johnnyb47

Guru
Generally speaking I've been quite lucky in my older years and haven't had any accidents to speak of , but when I was a youngster it was a different story. They were mostly through my own stupidity. Putting straw in my tyres because I couldn't afford an inner tube on 50p a week pocket money. The bike was great in a straight line until I tried negotiating the sharp bend at the bottom of the lane. The front tyre came straight off the rim and I ended up wedged in a Hawthorne hedge. The worst though was when I thought it would be a great idea to fit a bike mirror to keep an eye out for those kamikaze tractor drivers back in the 80s. Those tractors back then could reach some dizzying speeds 10mph + and my 3 brain cells convinced me to buy one of those old chrome bike mirrors to keep an eye on them.
Anyway, one day I mounted a drop kerb way to shallow and the front wheel lost grip trying to get up it. As I fell off the mirror glass broke and my shin went straight over it. It cut the front of my shin from my shoe right up to my knee exposing the bone..When I walked through the front door, hoping mum would just stick a plaster on it, i suddenly realised it was a little more serious than that, watching her running around like a headless chicken and panicking. It was strange but I could not feel any pain what so ever from it , even with around 4 /6 inches of my shin bone looking straight at me.

Plenty as a kid, once from 2001 to now. Training for London to Brighton 2016.
Round a Dartmoor corner, lane almost entirely full of tractor. Didn't hit anything, but at the last possible moment of recovery, a mud patch put paid to any remain likelihood of my staying upright, and I slid several feet on my left side.
Bike shrugged it off entirely, but I was a bit scraped...
Couple of near misses while getting used to the road bike.

dnrc

Veteran
had several as a kid but they don't really count IMHO

I've been back cycling regularly as an adult for maybe 10 years now and had 4 proper offs in that time

Norwich 100 2013? - corner, gravel, velocity, fall, slide - no biggie

Nurburgring 2014 - just done the MTB course. got back to the hotel driveway. corner, gravel, fall, whacked my head and shoulder. Had to do the rad am ring on the Nordschliefe the next day with one arm pretty much. never got it checked but fairly sure i fractured my shoulder.

Late 2014 - chain snapped sprinting from some lights - don't remember a thing as I smashed my head on the ground and knocked myself clean out. Then took an ambulance to hospital. Needed a week off work and wasn't right for a couple of months.

This was the incident after which I started wearing a helmet every ride.

Last June - In the Lakes, left Bowness, climbed the Kirkstone pass, did all the hard work and got to the top ready to enjoy the descent down the other side. Just then it started raining a little. As i went over the top lost the back wheel in the damp and washed out. Garmin says i was doing 40mph at this point. Trashed my ankle, hip, elbow, shoulder, shoe, shorts, jacket, backpack, bar tape and even took a chunk out of a water bottle!

Normally when you have a crash you get time for one clear thought, this time it was "well at least i'm wearing my helmet this time" and sure enough i cracked my head on the road again.

Am I slightly clumsy - yes

Has it put me off - not at all!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
1 x car, back in the '90s. They didn't stop, nor did 3 or 4 cars that passed me as I lay getting my breath back (fortunately, I was just winded & scraped a bit that time).

1 x bus, sideswiped me trying to beat me around an illegally parked DHL van that we were both overtaking. Scrapes, a bent shifter & scraped bartape. I should have been on the cyclepath, apparently.

1 x car, tried to enter a roundabout through my back wheel. Totalled back wheel, 1x wrecked shifter, torn clothes, "soft tissue derangement" in my elbow and hip. My arm on the impact side swelled up to about twice usual size. Which was nice.

1 x diesel spill - a vague smell of the stuff and then sliding along the floor. Ripped bartape.

1 x cat - ran out in front of me, and I took overly sudden evasive action. No serious damage done.

1 x snapped pedal - stood on it powering away from the lights, it gave way and I slid along the ground for a bit. A hole in my elbow (that I thought would never stop bleeding) and a ruined shirt.

Top Bottom