Who hates Sam Brown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
After very very close call with a beetle entering a roundabout I was on last night, i thought it was time to dig out my reflective Sam.
I just hate wearing this piece of kit. Just wondering if anyone else dislikes them as much as me.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Trevrev said:
After very very close call with a beetle entering a roundabout I was on last night, i thought it was time to dig out my reflective Sam.
I just hate wearing this piece of kit. Just wondering if anyone else dislikes them as much as me.

I've obviously not been doing this long enough yet...what's a "Sam Brown"?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hiviz belt and shoulder strap. Mind you I think all hiviz is pretty much complete tosh, and meantime I'm probably a hypocrit for riding the most visible bike out of all of you.

Norm

Originally a belt and shoulder strap used for carrying ammunition or a shoulder holster, I believe but incorporated into many military uniforms.

Nowadays refers to a reflective belt / sash of the same pattern.

And yes, I feel like I'm 12 when wearing one, so I use a hi viz waist coat with reflectives.

'tis part of the reason I wear a reflective jacket.

A bit OT, but I have a proper Sam Brown from the Great War that once belonged to my almost great uncle [1]. It is far too small for me, he must have been a slight lad when he went over.

[1] I expect he would have become my great uncle given the chance, but he didn't come home.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I agree with BM- I think Hi Viz can be useful but is limited-I'm sure another poster has a link to research backing this up. High viz is something that supplements the cyclists journey - it won't necessarily make you more visible if someone doesn't look properly. I feel personally there are better strategies to improve visiblity ie road positioning but it comes down to others looking carefully and that doesn't always happen

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Trevrev said:

I'm sure you do, but bear in mind that the principle purpose of Hi-Viz is to make your insurance claim more straightforward. I wear the stuff routinely, and still get close calls at RABs. As someone wiser than me pointed out, it can't help if they don't look/care.

Back in my days or rather nights of running I was once ribbed by another runner for being "lit up like a Xmas tree" :smile:

He was side swiped by a car some time later. I still think of him to this day especially in these heady days of Health & Safety and our village is flooded by hi-fiz vests when the local factory shift ends.

Dare say he'd think there was a lot of sports minded folk living here;)

garrilla

We must have all seen instances where drivers are not aware of an emergency vehicle with the blues and twos on. You can't cover all eventualities, sadly, but hi-vis is an additional attention seeking device and should be better than nothing.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Don't get me wrong...I have reflective piping, strips, on nearly every item i wear.
But the Sam just makes me feel like a tit !!!
But i'd rather be an alive tit i guess. My 6 year old just loves taking the piss out of me in it.

ChrisKH

Guru
reflective Ikea jacket for me. I don't like wearing it but Mrs KH said it's that and helmet or no marriage privileges for me. :smile:

Top Bottom