Who hates Sam Brown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Trevrev said:
Thanks for the spelling lesson.......YAWN !
Everyone knew what i was on about !!

Oh, it's so dull, isn't it, getting things right.

I'd have thought it was a basic courtesy to spell someone's name correctly.

Norm

Arch said:
Only waffles has it right so far... It's Sam Browne, with an e.
Excellent. A fellow pedant. :bicycle:

(I didn't get it right... but I didn't get it wrong, either :welcome: )

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
At least Arch posted some commentary as well.

I was just going to say "You do know it's Browne, don't you...?".

And I wasn't even going to say ANYTHING ELSE.

gavintc

Guru
Norm said:
Originally a belt and shoulder strap used for carrying ammunition or a shoulder holster, I believe but incorporated into many military unif

Sam Browne belt - detail stolen from wiki

"Sam Brown was a British army officer serving in India in the 19th century. In those days officers always carried a sword into battle. It hung from a little strap on the waistbelt, called a 'frog'. However, the scabbard tended to slide around a lot when they charged the enemy, meaning that it had to be steadied with the left hand. During one particularly heavy bombardment at the start of a military engagement, Sam Brown had his left arm blown away. He survived the injury but, without a left hand, he found that he was now unable to control his sword. He came up with the idea of wearing a second belt which went over his right shoulder and held the scabbard in just the spot he wanted. Other officers began wearing the extra belt themselves, and soon it became part of the standard uniform."

Wiki have the name wrong. His name was Browne not Brown

Twanger

Über Member
I bought me a night vision jacket, which makes the SB redundant, and also has the advantage of being considerably warmer. But I think that the SB addresses motorists in a subliminal way, saying "cyclist" directly to the amygdala. I used to wear one a lot in the '80s.

Motorcyclists seem to wear them a lot.

MGBLemonrider

downfader said:
I thought you were on about the late 80s soul singer :welcome:

The lady of the same name, daughter of Joe Brown, of solo hit "Stop" was in the backing Trio when I saw Pink Floyd in 1994.

I had a Sam Browne belt when I started motorcycling early 80's on a mid 1960's Mobylette moped that had 6v 6w headlight, needed all the help I could get.

But on the cycle I have a Hi-Viz reflective jacket that I wear around my rucksack, with the shoulder straps coming out the arm holes.

Just supplemented this with a nice pair of Velcro Hi-Viz reflective ankle straps, as having gone to SPDs no longer have reflectors in the pedals.

The bike has it's front and rear reflectors as well as the ones in the wheels, as well as lights. But I could really do with a better chest arrangement that my red cycling jersey offers.

Agree with whats been said about having to look and care and also means your less likely to have your damages cut as a contributory factor.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
gavintc said:
Sam Browne belt - detail stolen from wiki

"Sam Brown was a British army officer serving in India in the 19th century. In those days officers always carried a sword into battle. It hung from a little strap on the waistbelt, called a 'frog'. However, the scabbard tended to slide around a lot when they charged the enemy, meaning that it had to be steadied with the left hand. During one particularly heavy bombardment at the start of a military engagement, Sam Brown had his left arm blown away. He survived the injury but, without a left hand, he found that he was now unable to control his sword. He came up with the idea of wearing a second belt which went over his right shoulder and held the scabbard in just the spot he wanted. Other officers began wearing the extra belt themselves, and soon it became part of the standard uniform."

Wiki have the name wrong. His name was Browne not Brown

See.....I'm not the only one who didn't know there was an "e" on the end !!
But Wikipedia does get quite a bit wrong. :welcome:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
XmisterIS said:
I have a hi-viz tabbard, I think it's probably more visible.

Tesco have been selling a £3 AA tabbard which is really good. Only downside is the vecro might get stuck on the old lycra or jersey I found. Replacing the velcro with buttons or a zip would still be cheap and would work well.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jonny jeez said:
I've obviously not been doing this long enough yet...what's a "Sam Brown"?

General Sir Sam Browne VC, GCB, KCSI was a cavalry officer who having had his left arm blown off invented a belt to enable him to carry a pistol and sword without having to hold the scabbard stead with his (now missing) left hand. It is still used as part of an army officers uniform and that is where it should stay. But some bright spark decided that if you took the design and coved it in reflective tape it would be a good way of making cyclist look silly more visible :laugh:

dg_069850.jpg

It would be better if cyclist were allowed to use them to carry a carry a pistol and sword as originally intended...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I wonder if they used to work better than they do now - these days there are a lot more distractions and background clutter in the average urban setting - advertising signs, street furniture, the sheer number of car lights. In a darker, simpler setting (a rural or suburban road), a little strip of reflective would probably stand out more.

Top Bottom