Who is training for first Triathlon in 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am :smile: .. Going to strive for top 20 places contention too, always seem to have these silly ideas in my head to motivate myself and try and run with the elite. Cycling is my strongest, but Ive always been a strong swimmer and I used to place top positions in local XC running events. Lets hope I can put it all together on the day, looking forward to it. Good Luck all.

I think what you need to work on is confidence, as if you are a strong cyclist and swimmer, and fast xc runner then you have are better than you think you are! :smile:

Speedywheelsjeans

I think what you need to work on is confidence, as if you are a strong cyclist and swimmer, and fast xc runner then you have are better than you think you are! :smile:

Aye, try not to get too over confident though... nothing worse than have your ass kicked by elite experienced 60 year olds when you were acting like you were going to win. Its a fairly low profile triathlon though in the mumbles swansea, there will probably be a few hard core guys there ... I just need to find out how it affects your body on the day. Lots of block training to prepare, might do a few full triathlon length training sessions to see.

Aye, try not to get too over confident though... nothing worse than have your ass kicked by elite experienced 60 year olds when you were acting like you were going to win. Its a fairly low profile triathlon though in the mumbles swansea, there will probably be a few hard core guys there ... I just need to find out how it affects your body on the day. Lots of block training to prepare, might do a few full triathlon length training sessions to see.

I know what you mean but feeling positive about yourself and your abilities will help. It doesnt matter if a 60 years old elite finishes in a quicker time. You do the best you can do, this is race against yourself not others. As long you have give it 100% then you should be happy with the results :smile:
It takes a lot of gut just to participate in these events, Im not the fastest or fittest but at least I am doing it and not moaning and finding excuses for why I shouldnt be doing it, and have many of them ready. If I focus on other people achievements I would never get anywhere, but as long as I put all my efforts in it, I know I can only get better. :thumbsup:

Speedywheelsjeans

I know what you mean but feeling positive about yourself and your abilities will help. It doesnt matter if a 60 years old elite finishes in a quicker time. You do the best you can do, this is race against yourself not others. As long you have give it 100% then you should be happy with the results :smile:
It takes a lot of gut just to participate in these events, Im not the fastest or fittest but at least I am doing it and not moaning and finding excuses for why I shouldnt be doing it, and have many of them ready. If I focus on other people achievements I would never get anywhere, but as long as I put all my efforts in it, I know I can only get better. :thumbsup:

Thats a good way to look at it. Im certainly confident in my abilities, im just an extremely competitive person too! I always aim to be the best.. just built into my nature, cant help it sometimes. But I will be happy with myself when i complete it regardless of how I do, Ive set myself a time goal, so I hope I can get below that rather than trying to compete with others.

Maylian

Veteran
Well I completed my first tri yesterday, it was only a sprint event but very proud to have done it. I think I'm a pretty good swimmer but if you're new to this as I am and have to do the swim in a pool be wary since its pretty choppy in there with all the other competitors churning up the water.

I'm every so slightly disappointed that 5 minutes into my bike ride the seat post wasn't done up tight enough and dropped which ruined my bike and wore out my legs for the run. Despite that was great fun and will definitely will sign up for more.

Well, having lost a lot of weight since last summer I feel its feasible that I could have a go at a triathlon this year. I'm thinking of doing a sprint distance one to start, there is one coming up in Wilmslow in mid May - so that would give me 8 weeks to train.

I currently commute about 8.5 miles per day, 5 days a week and do this in around 40 mins (with panniers, hub dynamo and traffic lights to contend with...)

I was a reasonably strong swimmer in my youth and swam 2k on a number of occasions, I haven't however swum other than recreational messing about in a pool for a fair while.

Running is where I'm really a bit concerned, running has always been something I've been poor at; fundamentally I seem not to be able to do it very well - I was never great at school sports, but felt I could keep 'in touch' in most disciplines unless they involved running, particularly short distances. Once the distances hit a mile or so then I was at the back end of average... I tried running again a couple of years ago (before losing the weight) and had incredibly bad shin splints within a half mile (something I also suffer from when walking very quickly).

I suspect I need gait analysis and the right shoes plus a very careful build up. And the careful build up is what I'm really unsure about; I've found very gentle introductory training programs for running alone and I've found 8-week training programs for triathlon, but they don't take into account doing 40 mins on the bike 5 days a week. I'm sure I could do some of the programs along side the commute, but it seems pointless to do a 'program' when I'd be essentially ignoring the cycling component...

So I'm thinking I have a few options:

1) Bodge a plan together myself for 8 weeks - run 3 times per week building up the distance by a few hundred meters each week until I hit 6k, cycle 26k once a fortnight as part of a 'brick' just to keep on top of the distance and get used to doing different disciplines in one seesion, swim once a week.

2) Forget about the Wilmslow triathlon and find a very gentle running program to get me on top of running first, then continue the search for a training program that would work well alongside the commuting (or revert to 1).

3) Find a coach and get some proper advice. (I have discounted a club on the grounds that I'm quite restricted as to when I could train - it would likely be before/part of my morning commute; most clubs train in the evenings).

GSteptoe

Hi. I'm fast approaching my 25th birthday and I want to have done a triathlon by the time I'm 26. I used to train with a swimming club four times a week in my younger years but unfortunately gave it all up when I was about 15. I've recently been back in a pool and it's a lot harder than I remembered! I currently cycle between 150 and 200 miles a week and I do a 5.5k run nearly every day so I'm very keen to undertake one of the sprint triathlons mentioned on this thread. I didn't even know they existed so thanks!

What I really want to do is build my own triathlon bike. I was wondering if anyone had attempted something like that and had any tips or pointers? My aim is to build it within a budget of £800. I regularly re-build vintage bikes for myself/friends/families so tool-wise and know-how (hopefully!) I should be ok but the world of modern, competetive parts is bewildering. To start - can anyone recommend a good-quality affordable frame? Also, does anyone know if there is a considerable advantage to building/buying a triathlon-specific bike as opposed to a regular road frame? My triathlon pursuits will probably only ever be amateur so I'm wondering whether it's worth the investment...

Hi. I'm fast approaching my 25th birthday and I want to have done a triathlon by the time I'm 26. I used to train with a swimming club four times a week in my younger years but unfortunately gave it all up when I was about 15. I've recently been back in a pool and it's a lot harder than I remembered! I currently cycle between 150 and 200 miles a week and I do a 5.5k run nearly every day so I'm very keen to undertake one of the sprint triathlons mentioned on this thread. I didn't even know they existed so thanks!

What I really want to do is build my own triathlon bike. I was wondering if anyone had attempted something like that and had any tips or pointers? My aim is to build it within a budget of £800. I regularly re-build vintage bikes for myself/friends/families so tool-wise and know-how (hopefully!) I should be ok but the world of modern, competetive parts is bewildering. To start - can anyone recommend a good-quality affordable frame? Also, does anyone know if there is a considerable advantage to building/buying a triathlon-specific bike as opposed to a regular road frame? My triathlon pursuits will probably only ever be amateur so I'm wondering whether it's worth the investment...

Hi GSteptoe
it all depends what distances tri's you want to do. I know you say you only want to do 'amateur' but anyone with some training can do an olimpic or even half iron, they'll just do it in a 'poor' time.
From what you describe, you have it all going for you, the swimming, even though you have given up at 15 , you might have lost some fitness and stamina but I doubt you lost the skills you gained over many years. Must be a bit like cycling once you learn you wont forget. So I have no doubt you will get back into that in no time. Cycling seems pretty good to me. Running 5k a day seems good as well for a Sprint - how long does it takes you to run it? If you want to do more you will need to Run longer distances.

With regards to the bike if you only want to do Sprints and Olimpics then it would be nice to have a Tri Specific bike, as well as a 'training' bike.
If you do any longer distances you would find that is not really comfortable to stay on the tri bike position for 50 miles or so. If you have only one bike I would recommend having a road bike and putting aero bars on it. I can go in more depth with this if you need but dont want to overload you with information. But if you have any more specific questions just fire away, Im sure you will get plenty of advice here.
:thumbsup:

Well, I've made a start - have been to Royles in Wilmslow for gait analysis and bought some running shoes; I've combined some sprint triathlon training programs, couch to 5k for the running to try and build the running very slowly and cut down some of the cycling from the original program as I'll be cycling 8 miles a day anyway for commuting... So I'll see how that goes and if the running goes ok for the first couple of weeks I'll be putting in my entry for the Wilmslow Triathlon!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Plan is a long term thing. Don't stress about 'getting there' too soon. I was 45 last year and I have this loose idea of doing an Ironman by the time I'm 50. Gives me 5 years (I can do maths too!)
Obviously goals and targets can shift.....
Plan is:
this year, 2012, sprints maybe an Oly, but more do a few individual sport events. I already run, so its just bike and swim. I'm doing the Swimathon, maybe the Big Swim. I'm looking at sportives and audax for the bike. Keep it fun and 'mix it up'
Next year 2013
sprints, but more Olys, maybe even a 70.3, maybe a marathon
2014 - 70.3 definite.... vague possiblity of IM
2015 - IM
I've done a few aquathons over this winter. The same event repeated. A club series, 400m swim followed by approx 4 mile run.
and
I've now entered my first tri. The Hathersage Hilly. Based in the Peak District, so the bike and run aren't going to be the flattest! However, it's a pool swim sprint, just over 400m.
I'm looking at doing the Doncaster Triathlon in September, Olympic distance. Maybe the Humber sprint later?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
amasidlover, don't worry too much about your first event. It will be a bit of whir. Triathlon involves so much kit and things going on in such a short space of time with so many people the first one is best treat like a training event. It will be a bit scary at first, but once it is in the bag you can get more competitive in other events, once you are hooked !

Becareful with the running, this is where people get injured. Stretching is more important for the run than anything else.

Good luck and have fun.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
gambatte, I'm 51 I've done two full seasons of triathlons and I am attempting my first IM this year. What I did last year was to line up the Kielder marathon at the end of the year. So if it was a disaster it did not interfere with other stuff I wanted to do. Nice event with all abilities, plus it's harder than anything you will get in an IM. No I did not get the bus.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ta... October? I'll bear it in mind. :smile:
More than likely IM will be Outlaw - nice and local
I've done marathons the last couple of years. However last year wasn't fun. I trained for the White Peak. Got talking to a lass who said she was going for the same pace. .... she wasn't. I ignored the signs and I blew up big time at 18 miles. I finished, but with a PW
Daft thing was, 2 days later I entered the Robin Hood (in anger). Not the best motivation. 4 weeks before RH I realised I wasn't having fun. All I was doing was training for a marathon, not enjoying it. So I called it a day and prioritised improving my swimming.
Thats why, this year, no long running races. 15 mile maximum. Get used to the individual disciplines.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Ta... October? I'll bear it in mind. :smile:
More than likely IM will be Outlaw - nice and local
I've done marathons the last couple of years. However last year wasn't fun. I trained for the White Peak. Got talking to a lass who said she was going for the same pace. .... she wasn't. I ignored the signs and I blew up big time at 18 miles. I finished, but with a PW
Daft thing was, 2 days later I entered the Robin Hood (in anger). Not the best motivation. 4 weeks before RH I realised I wasn't having fun. All I was doing was training for a marathon, not enjoying it. So I called it a day and prioritised improving my swimming.
Thats why, this year, no long running races. 15 mile maximum. Get used to the individual disciplines.
+1 thats the beauty of Tri's. The exercise can be actually enjoyable.
My marathon training was a challenge more than anything else.

Top Bottom