Who is training for first Triathlon in 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GSteptoe

Hi GSteptoe
it all depends what distances tri's you want to do. I know you say you only want to do 'amateur' but anyone with some training can do an olimpic or even half iron, they'll just do it in a 'poor' time.
From what you describe, you have it all going for you, the swimming, even though you have given up at 15 , you might have lost some fitness and stamina but I doubt you lost the skills you gained over many years. Must be a bit like cycling once you learn you wont forget. So I have no doubt you will get back into that in no time. Cycling seems pretty good to me. Running 5k a day seems good as well for a Sprint - how long does it takes you to run it? If you want to do more you will need to Run longer distances.

With regards to the bike if you only want to do Sprints and Olimpics then it would be nice to have a Tri Specific bike, as well as a 'training' bike.
If you do any longer distances you would find that is not really comfortable to stay on the tri bike position for 50 miles or so. If you have only one bike I would recommend having a road bike and putting aero bars on it. I can go in more depth with this if you need but dont want to overload you with information. But if you have any more specific questions just fire away, Im sure you will get plenty of advice here.
:thumbsup:

I'm thinking of starting with a sprint distance triathlon this summer building towards an olympic distance event by April 2013. According to my Run Keeper iphone app (which I strongly recommend to anyone thinking of doing any sort of running and it's free - can track your exact distance, time, etc. and even maps your route for you) I run 5.45K in 25 minutes.

At the moment I've got a fixie bike and a 16-speed geared bike but both I built using vintage frames so not really suitable for triathlon training I don't think, but having given it some thought since I posting I think it would be definitely worthwhile having a tri-specific bike. I was reading that the angles on the frame are designed so that the rider's exercise will have more emphasis on a slightly different muscle group than when they are running or something? as I say I'd like to build one on a budget of £800 but where to start? Can you recommend an affordable, good quality frame?

suew

Regular
I'm doing my first sprint triathlon mid may with a try a tri the week before which I'm using as a practice run. Was planning to do one a couple of years ago then got pregnant and same again last year so with two little ones finding time to train is hard but really want the challenge of completing a triathlon and to give me the motivation to get fit again. Just aiming to finish my first one and then hopefully start getting competitive after that. Don't have any particular strength or experience in any discipline so a complete newbie although I have been going to the gym regularly for a while.

Wow! My wife and I could barely find the energy to get our clothes on with the seams on the inside in the first few months after having our son! I'm seriously impressed that you're doing a triathlon... Although in hindsight, he did sleep in the pushchair so I suppose I could have combined the run training with that!

LCDEvents

Have you already signed up for a triathlon? Having something to aim for really helps with motivation and training. Build up your fitness slowly over the 3 months or so before your event and most of all just enjoy yourself both in training and during the event. And as mentioned above, a postive attitude works wonders :smile:

edwardd67

I will be 44 in May this year , I'm doing the Etap Caledonia 13th May -Birthday 22nd may then a few days after my Birthday i'll be attempting my first triathlon . Aberfeldy 27th May.
Training going well --swim going well, bike not a problem---- but i hate running.

Good luck guys

rich87

looks like i'm a bit late to this party, but i've made the switch from cycling to triathlon in 2012. not sure i can even really call myself a cyclist having only taken it up a couple of years ago and relatively still a complete novice.

still, without letting that fact hold me back, i've signed up to the UK ironman race in july this year. training's been going well so far, although a bit inconsistent of late with an early season set of 4 events over 5 weeks. had a few days rest now and back into the next block of training.

swimming's probably the leg that is going to be most challenging for me, having no background in this. slightly worried about open water swimming in the washing machine effect. however, i'm looking at it from the point of view that even if i'm mile back coming out of the water it's unlikely to be much more than 5-10 mins such is the nature of the swim leg, which can easily be made up across the cycle and run so i'm just aiming to survive the swim to be honest.

otherwise it's the transitions that need to be worked on, anyone got any good tips? have no idea about laying kit out in a specific manner etc and the order of doing things. guess it's just going to take a few practice goes to see what works for me.

if you want to keep an eye on my season, i'm trying to keep this as up to date as possible......www.richardwestover.com

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Also checkout the openwater swimming society (better contact through facebook) I've got intouch with one of the loose groups attached to them and have been openwater swimming for the last month :smile:

Mrbez

I have signed up to my first triathlon in June, the Blenheim.

750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.

Not too challenging I don't think, and it should be good for my first time?

I will be fine with the cycle and the run, but any advice for the swim?

I would consider myself a strong swimmer, but how can I improve my stamina in the water?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Mrbez,
Good luck with your first event. I would not worry too much about the race part of it, it's more of a learning experience.
What I do for swimming stamina is a long slow swim once a week, just as you would for the run and the bike.
If you get a chance to swim the course before the race, take it. It is a confidence builder.

I tend to take it a bit easier on the swim and go hard on the bike/run section. I like to feel in control and if I get bumped or swallow water from someone else's wake I can recover quickly if I am not flat out. I saw one recommendation to swim at 80-90% of what you can do in a swim TT or you can lose up to 17% on the bike leg.

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2009/11/effects-of-swim-speed-on-triathlon-time.html

Drafting in the water is legal so there is no harm letting a stronger swimmer plow on and sit right behind him.

HTH

2old2care

Über Member
Hi. I'm fast approaching my 25th birthday and I want to have done a triathlon by the time I'm 26. I used to train with a swimming club four times a week in my younger years but unfortunately gave it all up when I was about 15. I've recently been back in a pool and it's a lot harder than I remembered! I currently cycle between 150 and 200 miles a week and I do a 5.5k run nearly every day so I'm very keen to undertake one of the sprint triathlons mentioned on this thread. I didn't even know they existed so thanks!

What I really want to do is build my own triathlon bike. I was wondering if anyone had attempted something like that and had any tips or pointers? My aim is to build it within a budget of £800. I regularly re-build vintage bikes for myself/friends/families so tool-wise and know-how (hopefully!) I should be ok but the world of modern, competetive parts is bewildering. To start - can anyone recommend a good-quality affordable frame? Also, does anyone know if there is a considerable advantage to building/buying a triathlon-specific bike as opposed to a regular road frame? My triathlon pursuits will probably only ever be amateur so I'm wondering whether it's worth the investment...
I've seen a lady compete in a Triathlon using a shopping bike complete with wicker shopping basket!!!:laugh: Honestly if I can find the Photo online I'll try and post a link.

2old2care

Über Member
I have signed up to my first triathlon in June, the Blenheim.

750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.

Not too challenging I don't think, and it should be good for my first time?

I will be fine with the cycle and the run, but any advice for the swim?

I would consider myself a strong swimmer, but how can I improve my stamina in the water?
I go to a coached Masters swimming session, and the coach say's the best way to build swimming stamina is to swim as much as possible.

So I've signed up for the Wilmslow triathlon in May, but I have 2 really silly questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to...

1) Its a pool swim of 400m in a 25m pool - am I expected to count the lengths accurately or will someone tell me when I'm done?

2) The entry fee includes being provided with a timing chip; but I've seen timing chip holders on sale - the organisers don't mention anything about needing one (whereas they do mention race belts), so do I need a timing chip holder?

david1701

Is 8 weeks silly to train for a first tri if you run a bit (but have never competed) and have never swum in an organised way?

On the upside it's a pretty easy one 500m sea swim, 11m on the bike (I commute that way sometimes cos it's pretty :tongue:) and a 3m run

On the downside I haven't been that wet for a great while......

Top Bottom