Who is training for first Triathlon in 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You will be for a while still until you shift your focus on your next event ^_^

I got my first 'serious' attempt to a Sprint Tri this Sunday and is slowly hitting me that is actually happening in a matter of days! Must not get the nerves the better of me, Im very anxious so when I go into the thinking panic mode I start to think about something else ....

edwardd67

You will be for a while still until you shift your focus on your next event ^_^

I got my first 'serious' attempt to a Sprint Tri this Sunday and is slowly hitting me that is actually happening in a matter of days! Must not get the nerves the better of me, Im very anxious so when I go into the thinking panic mode I start to think about something else ....
Relax and enjoy. I know it's easier said than done.
I'm 44 years old and 18st so if i can do it anyone can.
Get there as early as you can and take your time setting up

Ok, had my first serious attempt to a Spring Tri,
It was early, it was cold, it was raining... but finished in 1.36.xx? still waiting for official results.
What could have gone better?
Swim= 2min+ than my standard pool swim which I can do regularly in 9 mins but as I expected the nerves got the better of me :sad:
T1= 2 min + solely because I had to get DRESSED, and when I say get dressed I mean it! ...on top of my tri suit I put a long sleeve top, then a light running jacket, a Buff over my head and neck, gloves, socks... the works and I was STILL freezing thus did not really push myself on the bike. This is where I let myself down I didnt really want to be there and cycle. I did the cycle in 53 where all my 13m cycles take me about 45/47min.
T2= Better as all I had to do was dump bike/helmet and put my xc trainers on. Quick laces are a MUST now, had to stop twice to do them up!
Run= By this time I was all soaked all over.Run was in the woods very slimey and muddy, ups and down, but a lot of fun at times looked like a trainee ballerina avoiding dodgy grounds on tip toes.
All in all.... Cant wait for the next one in 3 weeks time!! :smile:

Daddydadbo

I have signed up for a try me in Kelso on the 12th August. I have friends who do triathons regularly and my cousin does Iron Man (nutter) and has lent me her Giant Alu series 6000 which is her hack bike as she has at least one carbon proper bike.

I swam 16 lengths on Sunday and did not ache the next day which was a nice surprise as I probably havent swum that any lentgths since I did my silver medallion 20+ years ago.

I tried a 5 mile cycle followed by 2 mile run and didnt cramp up which is apparently quite common and bearing in mind that cycle was on my 7 metric ton Apollo Mountain (cough) bike I was pretty chuffed. Just a case of getting better at cycling as I jog semi regularly up to half marathons and 10ks.

Nice to see others doing the same thing as me.

I do need to buy myself something half decent but with two kids and a lot of bills second hand will be my friend.

AlisterJ

I'm now starting training for some tris next year(and possibly later this year) which ,all being well ,will culminate in one of th uk ironmans n ext summer. Just now trying to sort out which bike to buy as it looks like im going to be spending a hell of a lot of time on it :laugh:

AlisterJ

I have signed up for a try me in Kelso on the 12th August. I have friends who do triathons regularly and my cousin does Iron Man (nutter) and has lent me her Giant Alu series 6000 which is her hack bike as she has at least one carbon proper bike.

I swam 16 lengths on Sunday and did not ache the next day which was a nice surprise as I probably havent swum that any lentgths since I did my silver medallion 20+ years ago.

I tried a 5 mile cycle followed by 2 mile run and didnt cramp up which is apparently quite common and bearing in mind that cycle was on my 7 metric ton Apollo Mountain (cough) bike I was pretty chuffed. Just a case of getting better at cycling as I jog semi regularly up to half marathons and 10ks.

Nice to see others doing the same thing as me.

I do need to buy myself something half decent but with two kids and a lot of bills second hand will be my friend.
lol....apollo mountain bike....thats what i've got sitting in the garage as well! mine must be better than yours as it only weighs 3tons:tongue:

AlisterJ

lol....apollo mountain bike....thats what i've got sitting in the garage as well! mine must be better than yours as it only weighs 3tons:tongue:
BTW are you me in disguise.??.....my cousins are both ironman fans......one of them was the final finisher at Regensburg Germany 3 weeks ago look on you tube Suzy Jermyn Regensburg2012

Daddydadbo

I don't think I am you but if i had a split personality I wouldn't know would you? Or is it me? arrgh. ^_^

Thankfully I managed to get a road bike that is much lighter and have been out on it and it makes a BIG difference.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
@Alister I presume you have a background in sport of some kind as targeting an ironman in your first year is a big challenge. Not so much the distance but the things that catch you out like injuries that stop you training and set you back. Just a word of caution, so don't be put off though.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Purchased my race licence today :O Need to get in a few 750+ swim sessions to guage time for race entry. Don't want to be in too fast or slow a group.

AlisterJ

@Alister I presume you have a background in sport of some kind as targeting an ironman in your first year is a big challenge. Not so much the distance but the things that catch you out like injuries that stop you training and set you back. Just a word of caution, so don't be put off though.
hi Arsen...I managed London marathon in last year in 4.49 and a couple of halfs just over 2 hours. will be a completely different ball game after a swim and cycle though! Will be doing smaller events as soon as i get some miles in on my new bike !

AlisterJ

I don't think I am you but if i had a split personality I wouldn't know would you? Or is it me? arrgh. ^_^

Thankfully I managed to get a road bike that is much lighter and have been out on it and it makes a BIG difference.
Got myself a new bike today cannondale caad8 sora ....lovely!!

Top Bottom