"Who" next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Raleigh Man said:
Will they have a doctor who lasted as long as Tom Baker.
I was wondering who was the shortest serving dotor in IMO it was Christopher Eccleston one season, I think whe said he he didn't want to be type cast the could be worse programes to be type cast in

I doubt anyone in the modern era would stay as long as Tom Baker. There's also the thorny issue of putting up with Producers. No one could stand JNT in the 80s and I'm surprised a similar thing doesn't happen with RTD.

I am one of the people who measures doctors in time spent doing a tv series, so the McCoy gap is excluded as is McGann as it was a film. So the shortest Doctor was Judas Ecclestone. As most Doctors stay 3 years I think Tennant was fair enough. I think taking someone young is a risk as they could stay a long time (5 or 7 years is the benchmark) or they could leave early. As for assistants, history repeating itself :ohmy:.

marinyork

Arch said:
It seems the BBC 'count' McGann, and it's them who'll say when the Dr runs out of lives!;)

My point is there are different ways of measuring it. Sylvester McCoy was in 3 seasons, but by that time JNT had degraded it down to 14 episode seasons. If you discount the freak tinkering with the format in season 22 doubling up of episodes the much maligned Colin Baker was in the same number of episodes - 42 or at least he had the same amount of air time whatever way you look at it. William Hartnell's entire first season was as long as either of these fellas. Some people count big finish productions, some people don't. Some people count K9 and company and Shada, some people don't. It's not that I discount Paul McGann who I like from being the doctor, just he didn't play it in a tv series, that's all, just in the same way that David Niven did play James Bond but not in a proper capacity, it was a spoof film.

Arch said:
Shortest serving Doctor? Paul McGann, one hour.
I thought it was but wasn't sure, thanks for that

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
sparkyman said:
Yet they miss out Peter Cushing?????

D'oh! I never thought of that!

Still, if the beeb say the next Doctor is number 11, I guess that's what we have to go with. How many lives is he meant to have? 13? Not so many left now then...

(With the caveat that this being sci-fi, they can make up the rules....)

marinyork

The master looked more like a black cabage man towards the end of his 12th regeneration. I think they are luring in the teen audience before decline sets in :ohmy:.

Top Bottom