Who on here as been knocked out....as in competely sparked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Something very similar to that happened to @PaulB about 10 years ago! :eek:
I did. It was January 30th 2010. I came to, officially, on February 10th the same year and was able to recognise my own children about ten days after that. Fractured skull and massive subdural haematoma which frightened me to see it six months later on a scan I'd had done at the time.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Twice in recent years.

About five/six years ago I woke up in an ambulance, bike beside me, being taken to hospital after a bike fall. Still remember absolutely nothing about the seconds before the crash. OK apart from a trashed helmet, concussion and signs of a slight bleed on the brain on the MRI.

Two months ago felt a bit dizzy in the kitchen, fell like a tree, hitting the back of my head on the tiled kitchen floor and remember nothing until I came to with my wife speaking to the 999 call handler, having just had to pull my tongue from the back of my throat, with a pool of blood under my head. Hospital in an ambulance again, where I stayed in for a week and had a pacemaker fitted because they think the fall might have been triggered by a heart electrical problem. OK now but suffered from the after effects of concussion for a couple of weeks, feeling as if I was slightly disconnected from myself and doing everything in a bit of a fog. Head MRI showed nothing worrying.

“ heart electrical problem."
Happened to me about 10 years ago ... driven back from London after a meeting ... walked into the office ... passed out .... fell down like a sack of sh1t according to the only person in the office .... my wife ... out for less than a minute ...
She did all the first aid stuff .. positioned me and did the 999 thing ... paramedics were less than 50 yds away .... !!
My heart re-booted itself ... switched off and re started .... The speed nodes in my heart got out of sync so it switched off and restarted ...!!!. Currently have a implanted cardiac loop recorder ....
And all is well ...

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
3 times:
1. Caught a beer jug around my head in a bar fight aged 18 in Solihull. Woke up in back of an ambulance and required 8 stitches.
2. Slipped on a wet floor at work, hit my head on a table. Out for the count.
3. Dumped a bike at Mallory Park. Into straw bales at around 70 mph. Don't remember anything much more until I ended up in Leicester Royal Infirmary for observation.

Landsurfer

Veteran
3 times:
1. Caught a beer jug around my head in a bar fight aged 18 in Solihull. Woke up in back of an ambulance and required 8 stitches.
2. Slipped on a wet floor at work, hit my head on a table. Out for the count.
3. Dumped a bike at Mallory Park. Into straw bales at around 70 mph. Don't remember anything much more until I ended up in Leicester Royal Infirmary for observation.
Your living !!!!! ^_^

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I’ve just remembered another incident but not sure if it belongs here or the train behaviours thread.

A few years ago I found myself at work feeling a bit under the weather; probably the makings of a cold I thought, and because I had a deadline to meet I dosed myself up with Becchams Powders and cracked on. Having worked late I then jogged to Leeds station to catch the train home, which, as usual was packed to the rafters with grumpy commuters and I ended up standing wedged in near a door.

We’d just departed the station when I felt decidedly queer and after a few minutes more everything went monochrome followed by me passing out. I came to to find myself on the deck near a pool of what I took to be my lunch and being put into the recovery position by an off duty nurse. After a brief intermission while the communication cord was pulled and the guard consulted, it was decided to press on to Outwood where an ambulance would collect me.

After profuse apologies to my fellow travellers and a few tests, pokes and questions from the ambulance crew I was picked up by my partner and told to go to bed and not be so much of a twit in future. It turned out to be one of the few time’s I’ve ever had ‘proper’ flu, and I was barely able to get out of bed for the next few days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I felt decidedly queer and after a few minutes more everything went monochrome followed by me passing out. I came to to find myself on the deck near a pool of what I took to be my lunch and being put into the recovery position by an off duty nurse. After a brief intermission while the communication cord was pulled and the guard consulted, it was decided to press on to Outwood where an ambulance would collect me.

After profuse apologies to my fellow travellers and a few tests, pokes and questions from the ambulance crew I was picked up by my partner and told to go to bed and not be so much of a twit in future. It turned out to be one of the few time’s I’ve ever had ‘proper’ flu, and I was barely able to get out of bed for the next few days.
I had something similar when I had what I strongly suspect was 'proper' flu. I definitely passed the "would not be able to get downstairs to collect a bag of used tenners left on the doorstep" test. Money? Keep it - just let me crawl to the bathroom before the next bout of projectile vomiting and squits! xx(

Another of my clot-induced 'sparking outs' was this one when back on my bike after recovering from my first pulmonary embolism, but not realising that I already had developed a second one...!

I was recovering from my illness of 2012/2013 but eventually felt well enough to start cycling again. I did 3 or 4 short, flat rides then I felt up to doing the Cragg Vale climb from Mytholmroyd. That climb is long but has a low gradient only averaging about 3.5% and I was riding slowly so I felt okay until I got about 4kms up it. At that point the gradient kicks up to about 8%. Suddenly, I didn't feel so good. As in VERY BAD! I started to feel VERY iffy as the gradient eased higher up but I thought I would recover on the easier section above. In fact, I felt more and more wobbly so I got off my bike and sat on the grass verge. Then I felt like I was going to black out. For once in my life I decided to do the sensible thing and phone for an ambulance - OH CRAP, NO BLOODY PHONE SIGNAL!!! :ohmy:

I did keel over for a couple of minutes but eventually came round enough to freewheel back down the hill and ride the 3 flat kms home.

Oh, and this silliness...

I had a similar problem on a local hill once. I'd had a very heavy cold*** for about a week and got back on my bike too soon after 'recovering'. In fact I was still very weak. I went into severe distress when trying to ride up the hill and realised that I was about to collapse so I dismounted, put my bike over a dry stone wall and then fell over the wall and collapsed unconscious into a pile of leaves on the other side! I woke up some time later drenched in sweat and shivering violently. I went home and back to bed. I left it a couple of weeks before trying again ... :whistle:

*** It might have been flu, but it didn't feel as serious as the 'proper flu' mentioned above.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I reckon my one and only KO was aged 6 when I fell out of a climbing frame and landed on my head.
The thing I remember was thinking "I bet I can hang upside down by my legs". Nope.

Not a KO , but had a collapse aged 20 when I sliced my leg open down to the femur. I guess it was just an episode of shock or hyptotension. Being able to see your insides does funny things to you! I felt like death, and I'm pretty sure I just shut my eyes and tried to ignore the world until the feeling passed; my GF at the time reckons I was out cold!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I fainted about a year ago and banged my head on the kitchen cupboard on the way down. Blue lighted to hospital on oxygen with a very sore neck and vertigo. Diagnosed the neck as whiplash, but when I had a bad off on the bike in June the CT scan showed I had broken my neck. As I was clearly in no pain in the neck area an MRI scan confirmed it was from the faint six months earlier. I had been cycling a week after breaking my C7 vertebrae. :huh:

PaulB

Legendary Member
I fainted about a year ago and banged my head on the kitchen cupboard on the way down.
That's exactly what happened to me only it was a kitchen table rather than a cupboard. And ten-eleven years ago so it's fair to say I'm over it now. It left me with memory loss for song lyrics! They're not coming back either. I also had my driving licence suspended for 6 months due to the possible risk of it causing epilepsy but so far, nowt there and they let me take another driving test after three months so I short-cut that one.

Fat Lars

I must have suffered a concussion playing rugby. I remember crossing the line for a try and getting thumped, losing consciousness but aware of a bit of a commotion going on with loud voices. Then a vague memory of seeing the opposition lined up behind a scrum from where I was as centre in the threequarter line. Then nothing until walking off at the end of the match and me asking my teamates did we win and what was the score. And then finally coming round properly in the changing rooms. So I had played on and must have done OK.
Very scary but in those days no one had a thought about the well being of someone getting concussed. On the other hand broken bones and blood spouting out was visible so therefore demanded ambulances etc. BTW I drove home and just carried on as normal.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
That's exactly what happened to me only it was a kitchen table rather than a cupboard. And ten-eleven years ago so it's fair to say I'm over it now. It left me with memory loss for song lyrics! They're not coming back either. I also had my driving licence suspended for 6 months due to the possible risk of it causing epilepsy but so far, nowt there and they let me take another driving test after three months so I short-cut that one.
Yep I lost my licence for 6 months. I only got it back after 9 months because of DVLA COVID delays. :headshake:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I had something similar when I had what I strongly suspect was 'proper' flu. I definitely passed the "would not be able to get downstairs to collect a bag of used tenners left on the doorstep" test. Money? Keep it - just let me crawl to the bathroom before the next bout of projectile vomiting and squits! xx(
I knew when I was beginning to feel better when I was able to get up to investigate why my wardrobe had fallen over, empty the contents out and screw it to the wall to prevent a repeat. I did have to have a long lie down afterwards though.

When I was in the army I was orderly Sergeant one Friday night where I got called to a "fracas" in the corporals and other ranks bar.
A Pioneer was having a leaving do and was leaving the Army after 22 years. One of my Corporals thought it would be really amusing to hide his leaving present.
They were squaring up to each other as I entered and got in-between them just as the pioneer decided to punch the corporal, I of course walked right onto it .
When I awoke the Pioneer had already been marched off to jail and I had nothing worse than a sore jaw.
( the fall out from this was it was up to me whether he got charged, if I had pressed charges he could have ended up with 28 days in jail and a dis-hounourable discharge so I let it go since he was not aiming at me. His Sergeant Major was pleased, my Sergeant Major who did not like me anyway, was not best pleased at all and I got a extra 4 weekend duties!)

Top Bottom