Who on here as been knocked out....as in competely sparked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was listening to a radio prog on this and subsequent concussion......quite scary.
Its happened to me twice.
1. Playing golf and a ball caught me under the chin. Out for the count and ended up in hospital.
2. I failed to notice the garage door had not fully opened. I picked some shopping up, turned around and walked into the corner of the door. Came round lying on the drive. A bit shocked but no real harm.
Tell us your worst .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My old man knocked me out when i was 14, never really forgave him.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
So many hits that my head looks like a patchwork quilt

At the age of 5, I fell backwards down the garden steps and got knocked out for about an hour. Houses here in the valleys are like a Gren cartoon - quite steep and our garden was above the roof of the house.

I got hit in the head with a beer bottle in a pub, when someone threw it at a bloke behind me and he ducked :laugh:

The latest knock out scenario was walking into a cupboard door in a caravan and having no memory of the rest of the holiday :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
Was listening to a radio prog on this and subsequent concussion......quite scary.
Its happened to me twice.
1. Playing golf and a ball caught me under the chin. Out for the count and ended up in hospital.
2. I failed to notice the garage door had not fully opened. I picked some shopping up, turned around and walked into the corner of the door. Came round lying on the drive. A bit shocked but no real harm.
Tell us your worst .
R2?
Too often to mention them all.
Hit by a bus, having stepped of the pavement into its path. Told it was some two hours later I came to in A&E.
The "side effect" of a fit/seizure/episode/call it what you want. I'd "gone" by this time.

vickster

Legendary Member
So many hits that my head looks like a patchwork quilt

At the age of 5, I fell backwards down the garden steps and got knocked out for about an hour. Houses here in the valleys are like a Gren cartoon - quite steep and our garden was above the roof of the house.

I got hit in the head with a beer bottle in a pub, when someone threw it at a bloke behind me and he ducked :laugh:

The latest knock out scenario was walking into a cupboard door in a caravan and having no memory of the rest of the holiday :eek:
That's maybe for the best if you were having to stay in a caravan rather than a 4/5* hotel :whistle:!

byegad

Legendary Member
Billy Gorman belted me with a cricket stump, I was out for a few minutes. My mates, we were playing football in the park, thought I was dead. He and his mates were walking by and whap! No warning, no reason, Billy was merely a brainless thug. I was 10.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Only once that I definitely know of. I was waiting for a bus outside school in Manchester and 3 lads got off a bus at my stop. Once the bus pulled away they came back to me and asked me for money. As I was in the midst of explaining why it wouldn't be a good outcome for me, I sensed one of them swing and [CLANG] the lights went out.

Next thing I knew I was on the ground, my bus fare and my Casio calculator gone, and a loud ringing / buzzing still in my ears. The 3 lads were still walking away, I guess I was only out for about 10 seconds or so. I only know because another lad at the stop told me I'd been caught with a right hook and went down like a sack of spuds. I don't remember that bit at all.

Drago

Legendary Member
Me.

1. Fighting, unsurprisingly. Only out for 4 or 5 seconds. Ive since learned the trick is to take in in the face or forehead, as a blow to the side pretty much guarantees a KO as the brain tattles around in a direction to which it is less accustomed.

2. Brushing my teeth. Fumbled and dropped the toothbrush o the floor, and without thinking bent down to pick it up and face planted the wash basin. Came round a short while later and quickly developed 2 black eyes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had full on concussion once. A 'mate' tripped me up in primary, and head butted the playground. May have passed out momentarily. Off to A&E, checked over, got back in car, threw up everywhere, straight back into hospital for a few days ! I've avoided concussion a few times when smacking my head on the road following RTA's or doing an OTB on the MTB, but I'm not allowed to mention 'helmets'.:whistle:

Threevok

2. Brushing my teeth. Fumbled and dropped the toothbrush o the floor, and without thinking bent down to pick it up and face planted the wash basin. Came round a short while later and quickly developed 2 black eyes.

Did the same thing about a year ago. When I came round, I had one less tooth to brush :laugh:

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Never. However my son, when he was about 8, hit his head on the floor in a bit of playground high spirits and developed immediate amnesia, such that he didn't recognise his mother or sister (both of whom were on site at the time and were with him within a few minutes). It took me about 20 minutes to get there from work and when I arrived he was asked if he knew who I was and he took a guess at "daddy?". That was very worrying but within 30 minutes of the accident he had total recall - he was assessed in A&E and no lasting effects were found. No other signs of concussion developed.

First time when I was about 19. my boyfriend at the time had a ?Triumph Stag? soft top car, long before the days of seatbelts and there was a right-hand bend near Castle Howard which it didn't manage to get steered round successfully but straight into a stone wall instead and me through the windscreen. Three days unconscious in St James, Leeds. Still get aches from the stitch nodules in my scalp.

Second time about 25 years ago; was riding my mare along a track between a meadow and some woodland, lovely sunny spring day, well-trusted, reliable caring mare, we were cantering along nice and relaxed when suddenly an off-lead German Shepherd came straight out of the woodland going for my mare's belly in full hunting dog mode. She side-stepped at a fairly fast speed but there was an old 'cobbled' edge to the track onto which she stepped and struggled to keep her footing, slipping forwards and sideways and tipping me off, then struggling to keep her feet was unable to avoid walloping me with her iron-shod hooves a couple of times but she did avoid falling onto me. I came to with hot wet breath in my face as she stood over me nudging me with her muzzle. I was 'out' for less than a minute. The dog owner was struggling to keep hold of the dog which was literally slavering at the mouth as I got up, supported by dear Kelly who let me almost 'crawl' my way up her leg and then hold onto the saddle. Once the dog owner saw I wasn't dead, he buggered off. Kids on the other side of the meadow were running towards me, sent by their mum as soon as she saw that the dog was under control.
She said that Kelly had been several yards from me with the dog still holding onto her hock before she kicked out really hard and sent it flying, then she stopped, turned and came straight back to me. There was a big crack in my riding helmet - it certainly did its job! - but as I was due in to work later that day, I waited until I was there before I got checked over.
I hope the b@stard owner of the damned dog had nightmares.

ETA that is the worst and only real accident I've ever had in 70-plus years of horseriding. Oh, I've had black toes from being trodden on, and bruises and sore bits from being shoved and bitten and nipped, and nosebleeds when face has met horse, but actual injuries or concussion needing medical expertise? Nah. I've also had a moment when I honestly thought my - and the horse's - end was nigh and was just as white and shocked - and relieved! - as the people on the other side of road also pressed into the hedge on their side, as the foreign-registered lorry thundered past on a Kentish country lane ... now THAT was simply terrifying. Same dear mare, she was only a youngster when that happened and fortunately I'd been taking her out early in the mornings to meet the milk tanker, whose driver I knew, so she wasn't at all fazed by being in such close proximity to a large lorry (although not a moving one!), she expected to get a sweetie from Trev. It seemed my traffic proofing strategy had worked. As she had no concept that the lorry could hurt her, she just squeezed into the hedge to avoid it, instead of panicking as I and the people opposite were doing.

Last edited:
Once, not physically, but I ate a whelk and within minutes my head was spinning and I was put to bed. I can’t remember anything after that until I came round in the corner of the bedroom jabbering something about an old man in the bed. Luckily the doctor who came spoke English well enough to realise what I had seen was the corner of the duvet looking a bit like an old goblin. I was choppered into hospital.That was the first and last whelk I have ever eaten

Threevok

Once, not physically, but I ate a whelk and within minutes my head was spinning and I was put to bed. I can’t remember anything after that until I came round in the corner of the bedroom jabbering something about an old man in the bed. Luckily the doctor who came spoke English well enough to realise what I had seen was the corner of the duvet looking a bit like an old goblin. I was choppered into hospital.That was the first and last whelk I have ever eaten

Next time - remove the shell first :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have come close to passing out due to blows to the head, but not quite done it.

I have completely lost consciousness 5 or 6 times due to fainting though. This faint was the day after a heavy blow to the head so I suspect that concussion was a factor in that one, though I obviously do have a fainting issue. Doctors and paramedics have noticed anomalies on my ECGs though they have never actually told me what they are. (They go into a huddle and point at the printouts, then shrug their shoulders and ignore the issue!)

I came round after one faint to see a paramedic standing over me. He had a lanyard round his neck with his ID card attached. It said something like NHS paramedic, Colin xxxxxx. In my confusion, I wondered what was going on and asked if he were me! :laugh:

This near fatal blackout was due to carbon monoxide poisoning rather than a blow to the head!

Oh, and the pulmonary embolism that almost killed me in 2012 caused me to collapse unconscious on my bathroom floor. Again, not a blow to the head though.

I hate the feeling of slipping away and knowing that something really bad is happening, but not being able to stop it. I feel as if I have stepped off a cliff in the dark and am falling in a spin to my death! :eek: Waking up is only slightly better, until the spinning stops and my brain gets back in focus.

Top Bottom