Who said bus lanes are the cyclists friends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling into Bromley this morning. Hit the bus lane here and built up to a speed of 20mph. Stationary traffic to my right. A silver estate car decides that he couldn't be arsed to wait in the queue and pulled into the bus lane with without looking and no indication. How I managed to avoid him I don't know? I slowed down in front of him and made him stop. Went to his window and asked what the hell did he think he was doing and was he a taxi or a bus, did he know that this is a bus lane? He said sorry then just drove off..... along the bus lane... Fella..you are a complete tosser of the highest order and if it wasn't for me being so observant and managing to avoid you then you would have had a cyclist casualty on your hands. So if I ever see you do that again either to me or someone else then I will not be held responsible for me wrapping my bike around your head.. capiche?

Nasty.

My pet hate is when these trespassing vehicles whiz past you in the bus lane. They know they shouldn't be there, so what do they do? Drive even faster to undertake as many vehicles as possible, that's what!

Bus lanes are one place I'd like to see traffic cameras routinely used. I can't see anything else that will cut out this sort of behaviour.

Ranger

What you want to do is ride in the middle of the bus lane and go slower and slower until you are almost stopped. Gives me hours of entertainment

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What you want to do is ride in the middle of the bus lane and go slower and slower until you are almost stopped. Gives me hours of entertainment

On hindsight, that is exactly what I should have done first, then when we got to the end had a word with him.

potsy

Rambler
Well done on avoiding what could have been a very nasty incident.
What you have to remember though is, his journey was far more important than your life,another selfish tosser on the roads,as if they're aren't enough already
sad.gif

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1252377"]
Hmm, complete disregard for other road users. Did you catch him up later on again Ian, or did he turn off?
[/quote]

He got through the junction...... as the read ahead of him was clear of course...the tosser

taxing

I was once riding in the bus lane and traffic to the right of me was backed up so a guy coming out of a side road decided he wouldn't bother to wait for a gap to open up in the lane he should have been in, he'd just pull out right in front of me and go down the bus lane. I wouldn't have even minded that much, except he misjudged how much space he had (the cars in the lane to the right had encroached upon the bus lane a little bit) and got stuck. So then I had to sit in the road and wait for five minutes while this complete idiot reversed and turned, reversed and turned, trying to get around this corner that he bloody well shouldn't have been trying to squeeze around anyway. In the end he mounted the pavement and drove a fair way down the bus lane like that. What a twat.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I sometimes wonder the thought process of a lot of motorist.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The problem with enforcement we have round here is all the drivers know which bus lanes/gate are enforced and which aren't.

Peter10

Until you get a nutcase who decides to ram you. Why antagonise drivers when it is safer to let them past and out of your danger zone.

The problem with enforcement we have round here is all the drivers know which bus lanes/gate are enforced and which aren't.

Quite

Have you ever tried driving a car LEGALLY on Mowbray Street intending to turn left after the car wash onto Chatham Street on noto Saville Street later, necessitating a move to the nearside lane after the bus lane?

It is nigh on impossible. The bus lane is just ignored completely. I tried it once, it ended with someone threatening me for "pushing in" as I went down the outside of the cars queuing in the bus lane (duiring hours of operation) to the end of the bus lane, signalled and could only move into the left lane by forcing in - not ideal but seriously, you would just sit there in the middle of the road otherwise - you never can move in as the road layout intends, after the lane ends. Ever!

Lack of enforcement has turned the bus lane into nothing but decoration and so abused that I can't really blame anyone for sitting in the bus lane because the alternative - without fail - ends up in honked horns from people behind me who are annoyed that i want to pull in and can't, and bumper-to-bumper blocking of my moving in by cars from the bus lane who are damned sure no-one is going to "push in" in front of them.

As such, it ought to have an advanced warning of bus lane enforcement there, rather than instantly punish those who may well take that lane to avoid having a daily altercation at the bus lane end

Top Bottom