Who uses their own Chamois Cream recipe ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

Ive tried my own concoction but its missing a lubricating ingredient ( careful !! ) in the mix. I keep a trusty pot of Assos chamois cream on the shelf for good measure but £11 for such a small pot ......hence I tried making my own. I bought a tub of Battles Udder Cream which is £9 for 450g as opposed to £11 for 140g. I added some drops of peppermint essential oil which is good for cooling skin on taint and sit bones areas. I bought a tube of Aloe Vera from local chemist which is good for moisturising skin and I added Grapeseed oil which I thought would be a good lubricating ingredient to counteract friction.

There is still something missing in the lubrication department, where I get no chafing whatsoever if I use the Assos, I do get chafing if I use my own mix and it just isnt as effective. What should I add so as I have a lubricating ingredient will will complete my concoction and eliminate chafing from the pad on my Assos S5 Uno bibs. Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

cm2mackem

Über Member
Ive tried my own concoction but its missing a lubricating ingredient ( careful !! ) in the mix. I keep a trusty pot of Assos chamois cream on the shelf for good measure but £11 for such a small pot ......hence I tried making my own. I bought a tub of Battles Udder Cream which is £9 for 450g as opposed to £11 for 140g. I added some drops of peppermint essential oil which is good for cooling skin on taint and sit bones areas. I bought a tube of Aloe Vera from local chemist which is good for moisturising skin and I added Grapeseed oil which I thought would be a good lubricating ingredient to counteract friction.

There is still something missing in the lubrication department, where I get no chafing whatsoever if I use the Assos, I do get chafing if I use my own mix and it just isnt as effective. What should I add so as I have a lubricating ingredient will will complete my concoction and eliminate chafing from the pad on my Assos S5 Uno bibs. Thanks for any suggestions and advice.
Melt it all in a bowel over a boiling pan of water and add Vaseline and shea butter, mine , well made by my wife, is better than anything I've bought

Twilkes

Guru
Our son had something called 50/50 gel for his eczema when he was small, like a less solid Vaseline, and judging by how hard it was to rub into his skin if you put too much on it would probably make a good friction reducing agent. I might try some on my next ride although I'd be a little concerned it would trash the shorts if it didn't wash out.

https://www.expresschemist.co.uk/fifty-50.html#.X065KFPTU0M

Twilkes

Guru
I've started to use sudocrem (again, young son) as a post ride balm and it definitely has an effect, would imagine you'd have to use a lot of it as a chamois cream though?

These are the ingredients in the first chamois cream I found on a web search, who knew that arse-science was so advanced:

Aqua (Water), Olus Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Phenoxyethanol, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Candelilla Cera, Zinc PCA, Xanthan Gum, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Polyacrylate, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Oil, Dipterocarpus Turbinatus (Gurjun balsam) oil , Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Oil Green) Extract, Cupressus Sempervirens (Cypress) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Grosso Herb Oil, Litsea Cubeba Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil, Salvia Sclarea (Clary Sage) Oil, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate.

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

I've started to use sudocrem (again, young son) as a post ride balm and it definitely has an effect, would imagine you'd have to use a lot of it as a chamois cream though?

These are the ingredients in the first chamois cream I found on a web search, who knew that arse-science was so advanced:

Aqua (Water), Olus Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Phenoxyethanol, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Candelilla Cera, Zinc PCA, Xanthan Gum, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Polyacrylate, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Oil, Dipterocarpus Turbinatus (Gurjun balsam) oil , Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Oil Green) Extract, Cupressus Sempervirens (Cypress) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Grosso Herb Oil, Litsea Cubeba Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil, Salvia Sclarea (Clary Sage) Oil, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate.
Crikey , if I set fire to that lot I would expect it to off with a 1 megaton blast , and you wanted to put that on your arse !!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine is:

1 x 500ml tub E45 cream
1 x 250ml tub Sudocrem
A few drops of tea tree oil
A few drops of essential oils

Mix in a bowl and put back into the now empty tubs. Works well for me.

Top Bottom