Who wears a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Except, of course, when scientists manipulate or hide the evidence.
Doesn't invalidate the scientific method, just means that some people who identify as scientists (or who are commonly considered to be scientists) aren't following it all the time

Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your message

tomahawk

Just to be picky.....

With Homoeopathy, isn't it the case that the less evidence there is the stronger the justification?

With Homeopathy the belief is that the less of an active ingrediant you have the more effective it is. Therefore according to the homeopathic theory the less helmet you wear the more protected your head is. If you don't wear any helmet then just think of the benefits.

Hear about the man who didn't take his homeopathic medicine and died of an overdose?

More seriously though I will be wearing a helmet as i just don't think its worth the risk.

martint235

Dog on a bike
More seriously though I will be wearing a helmet as i just don't think its worth the risk.
This is one of most sensible sentences in the thread and sums up the whole thing. It's your choice. Everyone does a risk assessment and then a mitigation assessment. If you believe that there is a risk of you falling of your bike and banging your head AND you believe that a cycle helmet will mitigate some of the risk involved, wear one. If you don't, don't. I'm firmly in the don't camp but accept it's a personal choice.

If you want to convince people that a helmet mitigates against the risks involved in banging your head, please bring evidence.

There. That's finished it. I think we can lock this one now, can't we?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
With Homeopathy the belief is that the less of an active ingrediant you have the more effective it is. Therefore according to the homeopathic theory the less helmet you wear the more protected your head is. If you don't wear any helmet then just think of the benefits.

Hear about the man who didn't take his homeopathic medicine and died of an overdose?

And what is the risk?

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
Cannot believe this thread is still running! Caused a few handbags at dawn here haven't I?! Maybe we should just post yes or no? Stop anymore arguments!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Except, of course, when scientists manipulate or hide the evidence.

Yes, this does occasionally happen, but hardly invalidates the scientific method.

The thing is, there are few things scientists love more than proving other scientists wrong - whether they are wrong through a mistake or deliberate dishonesty. That's what makes the scientific method so robust. If your theory can stand up to everyone else in the field trying to pick holes in it, you can be reasonably confident that you're on to something.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Really? Andrew Wakefield got away with it for years, got lots of high profile support and his actions had a significant impact on public health. He's just a quick example off the top of my head...

He published a few papers on MMR, one in particular that claimed to find a link between MMR and autism, and it was crap. The entire scientific community said it was crap. The media though, loving a "plucky underdog" story kept it alive well after it had been utterly debunked and refuted.

So it was a failing of the media, especially public health and science journalism, not a failing of the scientific method per se.

And as it turned out he had a financial interest in discrediting MMR, as he held patents for single vaccines.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Well, the "theory" of homeopathy is that a substance that will cause a symptom in a healthy person will "cure" the same symptom in an ill patient. So you'd be looking for a substance that causes concussion or brain damage, then dilute that down until nothing of the original remains.

Brain damage? How about homeopathic Daily Mail?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cannot believe this thread is still running! Caused a few handbags at dawn here haven't I?! Maybe we should just post yes or no? Stop anymore arguments!

No I don't, my sister works in A&E and she says anyone who does is an idiot blah blah blah :thumbsup:

25.jpg

Homoeopathic cycle helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom