Who would like to go back to the middle ages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Being left alone with the knowledge I currently have, sure it would be a nice idea. To hunt, forage and keep away from other people (to prevent disease) might sound nice. But I doubt that would be the case unless you found an uninhabited island or landmass. I reckon as soon as they saw me washing, they'd shout "burn the witch" and I'd die a horrible death. Hard to imagine how any humans can treat others so badly; life must have been a constant nightmare.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
‘Denis, there’s some lovely filth down here’

Not pleasant but they didn’t know any better.
I wonder what someone in the Middle Ages would say if asked if they would like to live in a world where life is lived at a frantic pace, travel around on self propelled things with wheels that can kill you, pay huge taxes, governments prosecuting pointless wars killing millions and with the power to annihilate the entire planet?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Most of our readership would already be dead, of things that wouldn't even be considered a disease nowadays, and hardly anyone would be able to read. Even that would probably be in Latin. Entertainment might include chucking rotten veg at people in the stocks, public executions or floggings, maybe the burning of the odd heretic or even witch. People would be paying tithes to their lord or the church, and monarchs were forever finding ways to raise taxes to pay for the armies to fight the Scots and their European neighbours. Most people never travelled more than a few miles to the next village or the local market in their lifetimes. It's hard to imagine such a restricted world view today.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Go back to the Middle Ages? Yes, as a visitor; no, as a permanent resident.
I quite fancy taking a walk along the seafront at Hastings in the autumn of 1066, rounding up all the illegal boat-people and sending them off to Rwanda. Then, when I return to 2022, things would be really interesting.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
No thank you. As far as I can tell, in my family tree, my ancestors were all "serfs", "peasants" or Coal Miners, I don't fancy that. Lord of the Manor, with optional wenching may have been OK, but, eating turnips and shovelling sh*t, doesn't appeal, thanks, not to mention the discomforts of no central heating, hot water, medicines etc etc. I don't even want to go back to the 1970s, let alone the Middle Ages. ;)

Top Bottom