Who would like to go back to the middle ages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems to me that people's glasses get rosier about their younger years the further on from them that they get. Put simply, if you think times were better in the 59s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc then you've probably forgotten the bad things from those times.

The middle ages visit idea is possibly born from the ignorance people have of those times. Having got a 9 year old I've actually watched and read the horrible histories from the beeb. Despite being kids books they do paint the worst of history in a funny way, but enough gore and muck for me to know I wouldn't visit even if I could!

Why are we never satisfied with the times we're in? That's a real sad indictment of us as a species that we can't appreciate what we do have or the best of what we have.

Alex321

Veteran
Why are we never satisfied with the times we're in? That's a real sad indictment of us as a species that we can't appreciate what we do have or the best of what we have.
Some of us (me for one) are very happy with the times we are in.

But it is human nature to always want more/better.

And as you say
It seems to me that people's glasses get rosier about their younger years the further on from them that they get. Put simply, if you think times were better in the 59s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc then you've probably forgotten the bad things from those times.
People often remember only the good things, and want them back.

Is he really going back to the middle ages though? Will he not get a tetanus jab if he cuts himself, or antibiotics if he gets an infection?

Brandane

Legendary Member

I think us "baby boomers" born in the 50's and 60's have lived through the golden age of just about everything in the western world.

We've had great music, affordable housing, generally good employment prospects, plentiful food and water, the age of jet travel and freedom to travel, reliable and affordable cars, technology has brought us the internet and multiple gadgets, the NHS and modern medicine has looked after us, we've had no world wars to suffer (yet!), the list goes on and on.... Life's been good, generally.

As for the future, I am not so confident, but at the age of 60 it won't affect the prime of my life. So when I get to those Pearly Gates and the big man asks me what I want to do with myself, returning to this planet and starting again will NOT be something I want to do!

classic33

Leg End Member
Is he really going back to the middle ages though? Will he not get a tetanus jab if he cuts himself, or antibiotics if he gets an infection?
Not unless he's changed since moving to Galway. He didn't believe in all this modern medication.

He'd no objections against using the more modern materials though. For clothing or shelter.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think us "baby boomers" born in the 50's and 60's have lived through the golden age of just about everything in the western world.

We've had great music, affordable housing, generally good employment prospects, plentiful food and water, the age of jet travel and freedom to travel, reliable and affordable cars, technology has brought us the internet and multiple gadgets, the NHS and modern medicine has looked after us, we've had no world wars to suffer (yet!), the list goes on and on.... Life's been good, generally.

As for the future, I am not so confident, but at the age of 60 it won't affect the prime of my life. So when I get to those Pearly Gates and the big man asks me what I want to do with myself, returning to this planet and starting again will NOT be something I want to do!

I agree on the "had the best time", if you are talking of the western world, maybe not so good in some other places. I thought "baby boomers" were those born 1946 - 1959, rather than into the 60's ? (although, one would assume, there was a second "boom" starting late 60's and into 70's as we 1946- onwards "boomers" lived our 1960's summer of love ;)

Petrichorwheels

The middle ages visit idea is possibly born from the ignorance people have of those times. Having got a 9 year old I've actually watched and read the horrible histories from the beeb. Despite being kids books they do paint the worst of history in a funny way, but enough gore and muck for me to know I wouldn't visit even if I could!

don't agree - things are complicated.
SOME things were for instance better in that most derided of decades the 70s.
And of course there was much that was worse.
Being able to see good AND bad in current times is not looking back with rose tinted specs - just a bit of perspective.

And a fair bit of the future, in this country and much of the west, is rather bleak I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom